Couple of questions from a NOOB!!

Options
So I have a couple questions. I just started using MFP, but I have a couple of concerns. The first one is this...I am always coming in at about 400 calories below what is suggested for me. I am just full by the end of the day, I eat five to six small meals daily. Will this send my body into "starvation" mode?

The second concern I have is with the calories I burned during exercise...am I correct to assume that MFP is suggesting that I "make up" the calories I burned while exercising, even adding more calories to my day?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• lucylue21
    Options
    you are never suppose to go under 1200 net calories a day. yes mfp wants you to eat back what you exercised off. you are in daner of going into starvation mode at anything below 1200 net calories a day. what is a net calorie? net calories are what you ate - what you exercised off= net calories.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes. Plan out in advance or do whatever it takes to hit your NET calorie target.
  • heaths4285
    Options
    From my experience, i would try and consume the cals which you need or your body will start to keep hold of the nutrients that you consume, this will keep the fat on, and make you very tired as thje nutrients will not be used as energy
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    for far to long we've been led to believe we need to eat less & exercise more.
    the truth of the matter, we NEED to EAT to FUEL the fat burning furnace
    and keep our metabolism going.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of threads on "starvation" mode. They can explain it much better than I, but no, you won't go into "starvation" mode. It can decrease your metabolism in the long run. It isn't hard to add in some extra calories with things like nuts, seeds, avocado, even a bit of cheese.

The second thing - MFP is set up to put you in a calorie deficit without having to work out. It suggests you "eat back" your exercise calories to keep you at a deficit, but not too large of a deficit. For example, if your base rate for calories is 2000, meaning you will not gain or lose at that number, and you select 1 lb a week, it will suggest you eat 1500 calories a day. That will create a 500 deficit. 3500 calories = 1lb. If you exercise and burn another 400, your are only netting 900 calories per day, giving you a deficit of 900.
    Eating too little can cause a number of issues, including lack of energy and slower metabolism.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes. Plan out in advance or do whatever it takes to hit your NET calorie target.

Listen to the Guru!
    Eating well below your calories is not going to be healthy or sustainable. If you want some more specific advice, open up your diary so we can see it.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I promise you, I spent the first 80 of my last 86 or so days NOT LOSING WEIGHT. I stuck to my calorie goal, had no problem because I got so good at making low calorie meals! How is it possible for me to be consuming 200 calories less than my daily goal of 500 less and not lose weight? a 700 calorie deficit... not losing weight!

I was eating too few calories. My goal is 1690... I was eating in the 1400 range consistently and DID NOT LOSE WEIGHT. In fact, the few times I did have a momentary loss was after a random cheat day or a day I went over!

Eat those calories hon, or you might not lose weight at all! I worry that I may have lost muscle...

My suggestion is squeeze in a protein drink or add a glass of chocolate milk if you have to! Drink orange juice!
  • mollymoo89
    Options
    Try and eat some almonds or an apple with peanut butter. Nutritious and higher in calories!

And yes, eat back your exercise calories and make sure you have a net of at least 1200. On days you work out, your total calorie consumption will be over to 1200 but you will have a net of 1200. Just remember that MFP has the deficit already built in and thats why you should eat your exercise calories.
  • c_marie724
    Options
    So what is more important? Eating your recommended allowance for fat and sugar or eating enough calories because all suggestions like nuts, cheese, and juice are high in fat or sugar.
  • Blasian29
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice. I am supposed to be eating 1660 calories daily, but I am burning anywhere from 300 to 400 calories doing exercise and I usually net about 1300 calories. I just don't get that hungry throughout the day. I will try to fit a few more snacks in.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    So what is more important? Eating your recommended allowance for fat and sugar or eating enough calories because all suggestions like nuts, cheese, and juice are high in fat or sugar.

This is a good question - I think it's all about balance. I find that if I plan our my day ahead of time (it doesn't mean I can't change it, but at least I have a plan!) then I can see where I am coming in short, and can choose what extra foods to add to balance out my carbs/fat/protein macros.
    I also don't get too bothered if I'm over a little bit for fat or protein or carbs, but if there is a big imbalance in one I will change my plan.
    I do try to keep an eye on sugar and sodium. Most days I am over for sugar but as long as the majority of that is coming from unsweetened dairy or from fruit I don't worry there either.

That was the long answer - in short, I think calories are important, but try to make them healthy ones :)
    By the way, I don't consider juice healthy, you are just getting the sugar and cals without any fibre.
    My suggestions for extra cals are nuts, avocado, fruit, veggies, cheese (watch the sodium), brown rice, whole grain bread, dark chocolate (in moderation!).
  • freedomlady
    freedomlady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am on an 800 calorie diet and it is working great!!!! the whole starvation mode thing is just not true(for me) I am 52 and have been eating 800 calories now for 2 months and have lost 17 pounds. I do have to eat a little more if I exercise because I need a little more for energy but listen to your body. When I tried the 1200 calories, and added in the calories for the exercise I was barely loosing so that did not work for me.