Putting a HRM on my Christmas list - Need advice

Options
I don't want to be top of the line expensive...but I have no idea where to start or what they can actually "do"

I don't want a bodybug...I'm thinking some kind of "watch" one but not against a chest strap.

What does it all do BESIDES heart rate? Is it a pedometer? Does is calculate calories burned? etc....

Thanks

Replies

• skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    It's useless without a cheststrap. Polar is a great HRM brand. I have the FT4

ETA: You can get one with a pedometer. It'll cost ya more though. I use mine solely for tracking calories burned
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Me, too! :) I have asked this on here and am going with the Polar FT4 or 7. It tracks calories as well!
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4

yep. that's what I have. for a little more $ you get FT7.

Polar's are the best I think.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Having some experience using HRM's - the Polar brand is a very good an reliable brand.

A word of caution is the calorie counter. It use a standardized formula and therefore be a little off comported to i.e. MFP. However, the way to get around that is to consistently use the HR monitor OR MFP.
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It's on my list as well!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I've got the Polar FT7, love it. It's like this and has a chest strap. The FT4 is nice as well and a little cheaper. You can also get bluetooth chest straps from Polar to use with smartphone applications.

ft7_blacksilver_topleft_500x500.jpg
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I just got a Zephy HxM bluetooth chest strap and I'm using the Endomondo app for Android. This allows my smartphone to be the receiver and tracks/logs for me automatically; distance, calories, heart rate, everything. I'm still playing with it but like it so far.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex. It sucks.
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7, I love it. Polar say they invented the first heart rate monitors so if that is the case, they are in the 'know'. Cals burnt, time, starting heart rate, avg heart rate and then tells you throughout the workout in large digits what your heart is doing and whether it is in 'maintenance/fat burning/or fitness' level. You can use the 'flowlink' extra accessory to down load all your workouts to the computer. It has to have the chest strap and with wearing a bra, it sits just under it so you dont notice and for guys you will get used to it (as per my husbands feedback). I think the ones without are extremely expensive or just give averages which wont be as accurate. Look up the polar website. i am in Australia and found they were the best for prices, even better than ebay and they explain it all as well. Maybe for a good one you can look for a second hand one but not sure if i like the idea of someone else's sweating chest strap, so buy a new one of those! Hubby has the top of the range one the FT80 which he got GPS accessories and can track distance, speed and more on the bike.

You will really love it, they are the best for setting your own goals and challenges. i wanted to crack the 1000 cals burnt on a bike ride. I started riding for fitness a month ago and do about 2 hours a day. I am seriously just a beginner! You can do it.

Cheers
  • killagb
    Options
    I just got a Zephy HxM bluetooth chest strap and I'm using the Endomondo app for Android. This allows my smartphone to be the receiver and tracks/logs for me automatically; distance, calories, heart rate, everything. I'm still playing with it but like it so far.
    Endomondo is a neat app.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Yeah I meant to ask about this too. I have an iphone and have seen a few apps that use the cheststrap...but then can you integrate music while using it too?
  • mhig011975
    Options
    I had a timex HRM and it really suxx big time. I went to ****s sporting goods and purchased a Polar FT7 HRM. It wasn't cheap, but worth it. I should have gone to Amazon.com and I would have paid 1/2 of what I paid for it at ****s sporting good.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    New Balance for women N4 model with a cloth chest strap, YES you want one of those otherwise like the 1 above me said, it's useless and highly inaccurate. All HRM are estimates but it shows calories burns and heart rate. this model is fairly priced at about 55, but I bought mines new for 45 off ebay, have been using it several months and love it
  • killagb
    Options

Yeah I meant to ask about this too. I have an iphone and have seen a few apps that use the cheststrap...but then can you integrate music while using it too?
    I think some of the apps will play music in them, not sure though.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT7 on amazon.com. I loved it, but it stopped working within 2 months. The watch started to have trouble connecting to the band, so it wouldn't get the heart rate signal. I replaced both batteries and it was still doing the same thing. I have no idea what went wrong with it :(

EDIT: Okay, I looked around and I think I found out why mine isn't working right anymore. If you use it while swimming, DO NOT press any of the buttons while it is under water, as the water can leak in.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I just got a Zephy HxM bluetooth chest strap and I'm using the Endomondo app for Android. This allows my smartphone to be the receiver and tracks/logs for me automatically; distance, calories, heart rate, everything. I'msstill playing with it but like it so far.

I think some of the apps will play music in them, not sure though.
    q
    yes, some apps do allow music playing simultaneously. unfortunately, the Zephyr doesn't work with the iPhone.