How to take a compliment

Options
ok this should be easy but I'm feel akward when people at work are noticing my weight loss & I'm struggling with what to say.
I want to say thanks cheers I've worked bloody hard for this, about time, but I'd just sound like a wanker saying that.
I have a hard time acepting compliments, an even harder time believing them,
So what can I say that says cheers thanks for noticing & thanks for the encouragement with out me sounding like a idiot wanker

Replies

• susanloveszumba
    Options
    i just say "thanks for noticing" and go on with whatever i was doing. i am tall so clients at work are FINALLY noticing now after i have dropped almost 30 lbs!
  • DMartin528
    Options
    hahah ok thankyou for that laugh on the wanker part .. i kinda struggle with this as well people notice that ive lost weight and though its not much yet i guess there seeing it .. me myself though i know ive lost some i dont see it but sometimes what we dont see others do i just tell them thankyou when they say they can tell ive lost weight and am looking good as i too dont know what to really say without going into a long spew over how ive been doing it well unless they ask how i try not to go into it but i do say thankyou and tell them ive been trying hard to change that about myself
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just say something like " thanks ive been trying to lose some weight latley " i just keep it casual not to much infoi dont go into my life story of weight loss or how much ive lost or want to I just take the compliment appreciate what they have said and secrectly high five myself later :) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i soooo get what you mean about not wanting to sound like a wank though you dont want to say something that seems up yourself or preachy
  • claystrange
    claystrange Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Morning. Just say thank you - the person giving you the compliment knows why they are complimenting your weight loss, so there isn't a need to elaborate unless the person specifically asks. "Thank you, I appreciate your noticing." goes a long way!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I don't know, it sounds like what you want to say sounds just about right! It's honest, you HAVE worked hard, and people tend to people happy for you when they find out that you've achieve weight loss through effort. I know it's hard, I struggle with the same thing, but just relax, accept your compliment, give yourself the credit you deserve, and enjoy it :)
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Here is my tactic.

Despite it being completely out of character i go red, i don’t know why but i do know i can’t help it and the more i try to stop it the worse it gets.

So i usually just say thanks and smile.

Usually the pure shock of having obviously embarrassed me, me smiling and just accepting it with a thanks is enough to freak out whoever was giving the compliment to the point of they can’t wait to get away. Works for me.
  • AndreeAnneB
    AndreeAnneB Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    One thing I'm learned (and I'm still learning) is that it's okay to be proud of you! When my friends and family say something nice, I say "thank you! Worth waking up early after all!" (I wake up at 5:30am to work out).

On accepting compliment: I've learn that it's almost insulting to the person when you shrug off their compliment. Say thank you! Maybe you won't believe it at first but you will eventually (fake it 'til you make it!).

Hope that helps a little :)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'd just say a simple, "Thanks, I really do appreciate that!" If you don't accept your comps, you'll never get them again. If they ask HOW you did it, then you can say, "I worked bloody hard!" That simple "thanks" can open up that conversation and you might motivate that person somehow.
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    people always comment to me and i genuinely say "thank you very much its lovely of you to notice as i've been working really hard" people will appreciate your sincerity as much as you appreciate them noticing!
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Just say thank you and give them a smile that lets them know you appreciate what they have said as you have worked hard - that simple word and genuine smile will say all you need to :) xx
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    That's so cute :) YES be proud of yourself and say Thanks! with a smile. You deserve to be recognized for your hard work.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    "I appreciate it"...short and sweet
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad at it too, but I've found just smiling and saying thankyou works really well. The person then knows what they've said has been received with pleasure and was a good thing to say. No need to say anything else unless they pursue the subject :flowerforyou:
  • dibdobw
    dibdobw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just say "thanks" And tell them how hard you have worked to do it! Its fab when people notice and personally I get a real buzz out of it
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    If the complimenter is female- " Thanks! Wanna make out?"

If the complimenter is male- "Thanks! Do you have a sister?"
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It takes practice. Try these two forms:

1. Accept the compliment: "Thanks", "Thank you", "Oh how nice of you".

2. Accept the compliment plus a positive personal statement: "Thanks, I feel great", "Thanks, I'm very pleased with how it's going".

It may also help to practice staying silent until they speak again.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    heh @koosdel . :)
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with saying, "Thanks, I've been working hard for it." That's what I say, and I don't think anyone's called me a wanker. Yet.
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Here is my tactic.

Despite it being completely out of character i go red, i don’t know why but i do know i can’t help it and the more i try to stop it the worse it gets.

So i usually just say thanks and smile.

Usually the pure shock of having obviously embarrassed me, me smiling and just accepting it with a thanks is enough to freak out whoever was giving the compliment to the point of they can’t wait to get away. Works for me.

It's nice to know I'm not the only blusher in the village
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks perps I'm a cronic over sharer just can't help myself but I will endeavour to try 
    Happy journey's my perps