Pregnant.... Is there a good way to use MFP during this time

Options
Hi all.. I recently found out that I'm in my first trimester of pregnancy.. I recently used MFP to drop 10 lbs and reach my goal weight.. Now that I'm pregnant, I really want to try hard to gain only the recommended 20-25 lbs.. I thought there would be a "pregnant" setting on here but i don;t see one.. Has anyone used MFP while pregnant to track calories?? If so, how did you use it? Did you update the settings to reflect .5 lbs gained per week or is there a better way??? Any advice on this entire subject would be greatly appreciated.. I'm only in my first trimester and somehow i've already gained 6 lbs WTF!!! I must be doing something wrong...

Thanks in advance:)

Replies

• Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    The docotrs say that you only need 500 more calories to your diet during pregnancy each day. So be smart about what you eat and keep up with your exercise just don't do high impact or heavy weights...I did this with all four of mine and was fine. Plus lots of sleep and water and don't over exert yourself.
  • MrsTomkins
    MrsTomkins Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    use babyfit.com calorie counter for pregnncy :)
  • vwghiafreak
    vwghiafreak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I didn't use during my pregnancy, but it wouldn't be bad to try. You need about 200 cals more during pregnancy for the baby. You can ask your doc to be on the safe side. Go ahead and set it to gain .5 a week, but keep in mind that you may gain 2 lbs in 1 week as your baby grows and develops. More than anything concentrate on your health and the health of your baby!
    Congrats!
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    First of all...congrats!!! Second, usually what the doctor will tell you fitness wise is not to do anything out of the ordinary. I'd recommend yoga and pilates because they're not super strenuous but they still give you results :) And you can always alter your diet.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I used it but ended up being sick all the time so counting calories didn't matter. There are some pregnancy support groups on here you can join.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I set my calories to maintenance and then added 300 extra calories a day to that number once I reached the second trimester. However, I didn’t track all the time. Some days I was too sick and some days I was just lazy, so I ended up gaining more than I wanted to. The best advice I can give you is to listen to your body; do your best to make good food choices and stay active but don’t be too hard on yourself. As much as we all hate seeing the numbers on the scale go up, a healthy baby is the most important thing.
  • sunsetlover
    Options
    Congrats! I would say switch it to Maintenance during the first trimester, then gain 1/2 lb/week for the second trimester, and then 1 lb/week for the third trimester. It won't be perfect but will help you with close to the recommended guidelines. :)
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Hi all.. I recently found out that I'm in my first trimester of pregnancy.. I recently used MFP to drop 10 lbs and reach my goal weight.. Now that I'm pregnant, I really want to try hard to gain only the recommended 20-25 lbs.. I thought there would be a "pregnant" setting on here but i don;t see one.. Has anyone used MFP while pregnant to track calories?? If so, how did you use it? Did you update the settings to reflect .5 lbs gained per week or is there a better way??? Any advice on this entire subject would be greatly appreciated.. I'm only in my first trimester and somehow i've already gained 6 lbs WTF!!! I must be doing something wrong...

Thanks in advance:)

Don't think you are eating for two-- myth. You can eat healthy and do it right! Listen to your doc. I didn't change much of what I ate and was very mindful. Keep exercising. Gained 23 lbs, lost it all right after.

GL and congrats!