Inner thigh exercises?

Options
My inner thighs are probably one of the flabbiest parts of my body (other than my belly) and I'd really love it if someone could suggest some at-home exercises I can do to strengthen them! I don't have workout equipment or anything like that, so it would have to be something I could do just using my own resistance.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know too!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Plie squats.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I lay on the floor and put my feet into the air at a 90° angle to the rest of my body (sticking straight up). I then slowly open my legs until they're open as far as they'll go. Hold for one second then slowly close them again. Do as many as you like but it won't take long before you start to feel them. Once you get used to them, put on shoes or ankle weights.
  • jackies620
    jackies620 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That is my problem area as well. I met with a personal trainer for a 1-time session thing. She told me to do squats & lunges often. So, I'm trying to do 2 sets of each, every day. I'll do, at each time, 3 sets of squats-15 reps each. And for the lunges, I'll do 2 sets. For my lunges, my first set is forward lunges and I go across my room and back again, twice. Then my second set is side lunges, 2 sets of 15 each set. I'll do all of these twice a day--once in the morning when I wake up, and some time after dinner but before going to bed.
    I'm not seeing progress yet, but that's because I JUST started doing them this week. I sure hope to see some sort of improvement!!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Running shaved inches off my thighs...and P90X took care of the rest. I've lost almost 7 inches off EACH of my thighs so far.
  • lindsey_mickeyd
    lindsey_mickeyd Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Plie squats.

How do you do those?
    I lay on the floor and put my feet into the air at a 90° angle to the rest of my body (sticking straight up). I then slowly open my legs until they're open as far as they'll go. Hold for one second then slowly close them again. Do as many as you like but it won't take long before you start to feel them. Once you get used to them, put on shoes or ankle weights.

I almost felt the burn just reading that!! Lol! I'll definitely give this exercise a try!
    Running shaved inches off my thighs...and P90X took care of the rest. I've lost almost 7 inches off EACH of my thighs so far.

I wish I could run for extended periods of time. I'm working on it though and I'm getting better at it! Ran for 20 minutes last night! That's the best I've EVER done! I was so proud of myself! Granted I also walked 40 minutes during the same span of time on the treadmill. (Walked 3 minutes, ran 2, walked 3, ran 2, etc.)
  • lindsey_mickeyd
    Options

Oh and I wonder how these would work combining them with hip lifts? Like you lay flat and lift your butt up, then spread them open, then close, and then lower your legs again? That way you're working your lower abs AND your inner thighs??
  • ♥Mjohnson76♥
    Options
    you can youtube some at home exercises..if u have an empty box, fill it maybe 5lbs of weight (anything u have at home,)..what u want to do is make enough room so u can slide the box from one end of the room to the next..u will be using ur inner thighs to slide..for example, start at the right side of the room (standing hip width apart), place the box by the inner sole of ur right foot and use ur inner thigh to move..kinda like ur going to kick a ball using the inner part of ur foot..u can also get on all 4's and kick ur leg out to the side (1st bent then straight)..u can add weight by using a can of veggies and placn it in the crease behind ur leg..side lunges also help the inner thighs..
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Oh and I wonder how these would work combining them with hip lifts? Like you lay flat and lift your butt up, then spread them open, then close, and then lower your legs again? That way you're working your lower abs AND your inner thighs??

Sounds like a killer workout. I may have to give that a try. I

I did gymnastics years (and years and years) ago and learned an ab strengthening move that just involves laying flat, then picking up your feet and your upper body a few inches from the ground with your arms straight out in front of you towards your toes. Hold as long as you can then lay down flat again for a few seconds. And repeat. Your suggesting sounds like it would almost combine the two. :)
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    Plie squats.

How do you do those?

I almost felt the burn just reading that!! Lol! I'll definitely give this exercise a try!

I wish I could run for extended periods of time. I'm working on it though and I'm getting better at it! Ran for 20 minutes last night! That's the best I've EVER done! I was so proud of myself! Granted I also walked 40 minutes during the same span of time on the treadmill. (Walked 3 minutes, ran 2, walked 3, ran 2, etc.)

Have you heard of C25K? It's a plan that helps people get running. Here's an example of the FIRST week:

Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

As time passes the amount of time you run in between walking increases. I'm horrible at running as I can only run for 90 secs before feeling the need to walk. Give it a try :happy:
  • lindsey_mickeyd
    Options
    Have you heard of C25K? It's a plan that helps people get running. Here's an example of the FIRST week:

Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

As time passes the amount of time you run in between walking increases. I'm horrible at running as I can only run for 90 secs before feeling the need to walk. Give it a try :happy:

That's actually almost exactly what I do. Like I warm up at a brisk pace of 3.9mph for 3 minutes, then I jog at 5.9mph for 2 minutes, then walk again, then jog, then walk etc. etc. Like last night I think my time went like 3, 3, 3, 2, 3, 2, 3, 2, 3, 1, 2, 1, 2, etc. Yeah it was kind of the reverse a little, like I started running less, but I decreased my walking time each time too. But it was just getting way too hard to run for more than a minute, but I kept pushing myself through that whole minute and it worked GREAT! Tonight I'm gonna try the 3, 2, 3, 2...method again and see if I can sustain that rythm for longer this time.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    flab is fat..

if you want to gain strength...squats and dead lifts are a good thing..those adductor and abductor machines at the gym are pointless.

if you cant get to a machine, buy some cheap dumbells and do lunges and squats with them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

How do you do those?

Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Now point your toes outward and away from your body. When you squat your knees will travel outward and away from your hips. This targets the inner thighs more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiF0JIOmHUk
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Pilates. I love Ellen (can't think of her last name)'s Pick Your Spot pilates for thighs, & a total body pilates video on ExerciseTV. Those really tighten up thighs, even the inner part, & I use the elliptical & AMT machine to slim them.
  • mapanoy
    Options
    Combine cardio exercises and weight training are best way for inner thigh exercises
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Side lunges and cardio should help.
    The flabbiness will go away as you drop your BF% down...like your abs!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

You can buy shoes made specifically for this excersize.
    710D3E24-orig.jpg
  • Kell_5
    Kell_5 Posts: 19
    Options

You can buy shoes made specifically for this excersize.
    710D3E24-orig.jpg

I would need training wheels to put those "exercise" shoes on :o)

Thanks for the best laugh koosdel
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Pile' hops- sumo squats and scissors work for me!