Bariatric Surgery

Options
I have been on the boards for a while, but just started using the program a month or so ago, there are lots of inspiring stories on the site, which helps a lot!!! I am really having a struggle right now, and was wondering if anyone else has either had bariatric surgery, or considered it. i was excepted into the program this year. i had to lose 18 pounds to get in. which i took my time, but lost about 22 when the day came. I am diabetic, i have lost 30 some pounds now, so i was almost 360 i think when i started and now am flexuating between 322 and 327. The doctor wants me to drop to 300 because the surgery can be done lapriscopc instead of open, which i will heal quicker......

so now the delema, in my mind i think if i can get to the 300 by january i should be able to keep going... and not need the surgery... i have until march to make the decision... but if i dont do it, my insurance will not allow me to apply again for 3 years.
ahhHHH! decision is hard to make... i guess march is a long way away yet.. but past history has shown, that i cant seem to follow through, i am wondering if i will ever make it to 300! i seem to find some reason to cheat every day....

thanks for listening to my problem would love to hear from someone with a similair situation....
mike

Replies

• twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it! It just takes dedication, willpower and time...yes losing weight on your own takes more time then surgery but in the end it's all up to you and how much motivation and willpower you have...good luck!
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My mother had this surgery in 2004. I think that you should evaluate your eating habits--in other words, why is it that you eat? Do you eat for emotional reasons, is it an addiction, etc. My mother is an emotional eater, and without this, she took up other things, like drinking, to replace the habit. You just have to be mindful of all this. If it is an addiction, you may just find something to replace it.
    Also--this is permanent! Once you reach your goal, you will NEVER be able to FULLY enjoy all the foods you once ate. You will also have to deal with a lot of loose skin, which would be easier to deal with when you lose slowly.

I would encourage you to do it on your own if it is possible. Add me if you'd like, for support =D
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My husband and I went to a seminar that told all the pros and cons about the surgery. He is almost 300 lbs. He decided against it because he was scared of the things you can't do after- the though of never ever having pop really scared him too!! He tried a medication that caused diarrhea if you ate too much fat. It was so awful he had to go off. I think the issue for him was if the medication doesn't work, you can stop taking it. If you have surgery with bad side effects like dumping, you can't undo the surgery. He is now trying the 17 day diet- he has lost some weight but it is very hard because he WON'T exercise. If you can get into the mindset that dieting and exercising are better then surgery or dropping dead too young because of a heart attack etc- maybe it can scare you into changing your lifestyle! But that being said, I do know three people who went through with it. Two were probably almost 400 lbs and did great although the weight loss slows down after a year and one had to have skin removal surgery. The other one didn't seem that big but she has lost 120 lbs and looks awesome- was off her diabetic meds and sleep apnea machine a week after surgery. So make a list of your pros and cons then ponder again!
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have definitely considered it and also had it recommended by a doctor before. I currently have no weight related health concerns but we all know if I don't stay dedicated to changing my life I will. It is a tough decision but know that having it does not solve your problem I have friends who have had it and have successing kept the weight off and I have friends that have had it and had put every pound plus some back on. The same dedication you have to make to do it on your own you have to make when you have the surgery. Healthy eating and exercise is the only way to be successful whichever method you decide. Hope this helps!
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Have the surgery. It is the absolute best thing I have ever done for myself. 95% of people FAIL at exercising and dieting to keep that amount of weight off. It's been shown in many studies. I had the duodenal switch. I've lost a good chunk of weight, 134 pounds so far...and I'm not done losing.

Look into all the types of surgeries. Weigh the pros and cons. Get which one is right for you. Know that gaining the weight back is super easy with the RNY/Lapband/Sleeve, but it is also easily prevented if you get your eating issues worked out and stick to the doctor's guidelines.

Check out obesityhelp.com for more information on all of the surgeries. There are message boards where you can ask questions and get real, straight answers from people living the life after their surgery.
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Ever consider having the Lapband done instead of gastric bypass? It's a slower weight loss but less stress on your body because there is no re-routing of your insides.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I started losing weight in October 2010. My starting weight was 330.2lbs. I never entertained bariatric surgery despite having both hypertension and diabetes for several reasons. A few of those were:

I wanted to keep our family holiday traditions and being the one eating a tablespoon of food doesn't work really well with that
    I wanted to eat supper with my children and my husband
    I wanted my skin to have as much of a chance to adjust as possible so I needed a slower weight loss
    I wanted my psyche to have a chance to adjust as much as possible so I needed a slower weight loss
    I needed to take full and total ownership of my health

In a year I have lost 100lbs. I have some loose skin but not so much that it's yet a problem. I took a month off because I was feeling burnt out and managed to stay within 3-5lbs of my lowest weight in. Now I'm back to actively losing weight again and I hope to shed another 50-55lbs. I have no regrets for taking the path that I chose and I'm proud that I have given my girls a good example of how to change your life in a healthy and safe way without going to extremes.

If BS is the path you choose then I wish you well and I support your decision to lose weight in the way you feel will work best for you. I respect that just because it's not the choice I have made, it is nevertheless a safe and successful option for many others. The only thing I would suggest is to be as informed as possible before making any life altering decisions.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Also--this is permanent! Once you reach your goal, you will NEVER be able to FULLY enjoy all the foods you once ate. You will also have to deal with a lot of loose skin, which would be easier to deal with when you lose slowly.

I call bull****.

You can always fully enjoy your food after surgery and you can still eat McDonald's, etc. Even more so after having surgery because you learn to slow down and enjoy your food and the people you enjoy it with. You take your time and have good conversation and savor all of the tastes. For certain surgeries you may have consequences like dumping syndrome, but eating in moderation and having small treats is not forbidden. I've learned to savor my food even more since I can't eat nearly as much as I used to, but I have always fully enjoyed my food. Before AND after surgery.

Not everyone has loose skin and if you do get it, it can go away if you have plastic surgery. I have loose skin and AM DAMN PROUD OF IT. I'll take this loose skin any day over being fat, miserable, unhealthy, and having no energy ANY DAY.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike

You don't say what surgery you are having but I am going out on a limb and assuming that gastric bypass is probably correct. The bypass has the highest statistical chance of resolving your diabetes for years to come. The malabsorption resulting from the surgery seems to play a huge role in helping this to occur. You can diet and lose weight on your own but may not be able to achieve the same results for your diabetic condition. As a matter of fact I'm sure that your surgeon's office has told you that many people no longer need medication to control diabetes after gastric bypass. This resolution occurs very quickly after surgery and is before weight loss actually occurs. On the other hand, weight loss alone will not completely resolve your diabetes. However, weight loss will certainly help you maintain better control of any co-morbidities.

So the answer is one you must answer for yourself. Also, the doctor will not cancel the surgery if you don't get down to 300 but is telling you that your recouperation will be much easier if you can continue down in weight.

Good luck and you're doing great!!!
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    the though of never ever having pop really scared him too!!

I drink carbonated beverages all the time.
  • kiminita
    Options
    Leighbie1987 is also in her twenties, and presumably much healthier to do something like this. I wonder what doctor approved such a young person when they clearly could have done it on their own, given how determined she seems (she's on MFP for one!).
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Pass judgement all you want. There is no way I was going to be able to lose 140+ pounds and keep it off. I've dieted my entire life and put a stop to it early so I can enjoy my life. I know many, many people on here who have had bariatric surgery and did it in their 20s.
  • looking4au
    looking4au Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I know how you are feeling. Started the program for surgery 3 yrs ago. I had to lose 40lbs to have the surgery. I finally buckeled down and lost the surgery. I went to see my surgeon and he said I needed to lose another 40lbs. I have lost 75 so I am 5 lbs away. I will be under 300 in 5 lbs. My family and friends are asking me the same question. If you have lost this much weight why dont you just keep losing and not have the surgery. For me it just isnt that easy. Even being under 300 lbs for the surgery, I am 150 lbs away from my goal weight according to the charts. That seems very daunting for me. I am with you. History has shown I have no follow through with weight loss. After weighing the pros and cons and knowing how I am, I think the surgery is still in my future. I am still sitting on the fence though. Unlike you, I do not have a time constriction. As long as I weigh in monthly with my PCP or surgeon I can stay active in the program. Good luck to you and I am sure you will make the right decision for you.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Leighbie1987 is also in her twenties, and presumably much healthier to do something like this. I wonder what doctor approved such a young person when they clearly could have done it on their own, given how determined she seems (she's on MFP for one!).
    ^
  • kiminita
    Options
    yea I guess that is what happens when you try to call someone on their supposed bull s h i t
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Last fall my wife and I were thinking about doing and she did the research on the internet for it, we decided with all the issues that could arise and having friends that new a couple people that died from it, it wasn't for us. She then started googling medical weightloss and found a program at the local hospital. We started the program on January 13th and I am down close to 175 lbs and my wife is down about 125 lbs since then. The nutritional plan used meal replacements for 3 meals a day you get 4 meal replacements if you are over 300 and a sensible dinner consisting of 6oz of lean protein, 3 servings of non starchy vegetables, and a fruit. They slowly introduce cardio workouts starting on week 3 or 4 with 3 days and 15 minutes per day. You meet with doctors every two weeks, weigh in weekly with bp check and hr check. Blood tests every 10 weeks. You meet in a group setting with a licensed psychologists weekly, as well as meet with nutritionist and exercise physiologist by appointment. It was the best decision we have ever made, outside of getting married of course. The slowly ween you off the fast so that when you go back to eating all food you have learned basically what got you to the way you are now. I have nothing against people that go for the surgery to me it seems more difficult than what I did. It just wasn't for us.
  • kiminita
    Options
    Last fall my wife and I were thinking about doing and she did the research on the internet for it, we decided with all the issues that could arise and having friends that new a couple people that died from it, it wasn't for us. She then started googling medical weightloss and found a program at the local hospital. We started the program on January 13th and I am down close to 175 lbs and my wife is down about 125 lbs since then. The nutritional plan used meal replacements for 3 meals a day you get 4 meal replacements if you are over 300 and a sensible dinner consisting of 6oz of lean protein, 3 servings of non starchy vegetables, and a fruit. They slowly introduce cardio workouts starting on week 3 or 4 with 3 days and 15 minutes per day. You meet with doctors every two weeks, weigh in weekly with bp check and hr check. Blood tests every 10 weeks. You meet in a group setting with a licensed psychologists weekly, as well as meet with nutritionist and exercise physiologist by appointment. It was the best decision we have ever made, outside of getting married of course. The slowly ween you off the fast so that when you go back to eating all food you have learned basically what got you to the way you are now. I have nothing against people that go for the surgery to me it seems more difficult than what I did. It just wasn't for us.

Look at this dude, he lost 173 lbs!! And a girl in her 20s cant lose less than this? Seriously? There are also hundred of success stories on here that are similar, just browse through the forums.
  • jhardenbergh
    Options

Look at this dude, he lost 173 lbs!! And a girl in her 20s cant lose less than this? Seriously? There are also hundred of success stories on here that are similar, just browse through the forums.

I think I lost it quicker than people that have had the surgery, my starting weight was 376.4, my unofficial weight this morning was 195.6. I haven't counted it yet, cause official weigh in is tomorrow, don't get me wrong it takes hardwork and dedication, but seriously don't think that bariatric won't take that either, it forces you to or you can get really sick, if you slip up. When I said January, I meant of 2011 this year so a little over 10 months. It can be done and there are more people on here than me that have done it.
  • Lobster1987
    Options

I didn't say people CAN'T do it. It's possible but the fail rates have shown to be very very high. A very select few who are extremely dedicated can keep it off. I was/am not one of those select few and I faced it. Why set myself up for failure, when I can have this wonderful tool to help me lose it and keep it off?
  • jhardenbergh
    Options

I didn't say people CAN'T do it. It's possible but the fail rates have shown to be very very high. A very select few who are extremely dedicated can keep it off. I was/am not one of those select few and I faced it. Why set myself up for failure, when I can have this wonderful tool to help me lose it and keep it off?

I wasn't knocking it, I considered doing it, just didn't want to risk the complications, some people might need it, I thought he was more asking people that have lost the weight how they did it. I also didn't want to restrict myself like people that have the surgery have to. I wanted to learn my triggers and psychologically deal with the triggers not just restrict them.