More exercise, more food is better than less exercise, less

Options
Just putting this out there after some discussions with friends... When I work out less I have a decreased appetite but will tend to eat out of boredom sometimes. When I work out more, I eat more out of true hunger. My calorie average has gone from roughly 1700/day to 1950/day since I joined the gym and started doing more cardio and weight classes. I eat most of my exercise calories back but how much depends on the day, and lately I've been ravenous. Based on what I've studied and read, I figure we burn a bit more at rest after exercising plus it is good to stay fit, for heart health, etc. I currently do heavy weights 1-2 times a week, one hour Body Pump class twice a week, elliptical or other cardio machine for 30 minutes 2-3 times a week, and 30 minute brisk dog walks 4-5 times a week. Anyone else have experience with this?

Replies

• susanmax
    Options
    I find that I eat out of boredom.....when I work out it distracts me and I don't snack. I don't feel hungry after I workout but I am doing mostly cardio. Maybe its the strength training that is making you hungry. What do you eat right after you workout? A high protein snack may help you recover better.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I find myself RAVENOUS after a few days of hard workouts! Eat! Just make sure it is the right kinds of foods.
  • wannabfit34
    wannabfit34 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I have read about this sort of thing is from Runner's World The Newbie Chronicles by Marc Parent. He Says you have to learn to go hungry, sadly it is true our bodies all of the sudden think we can eat more because we ran 5 miles, but we should still eat within a healthy calorie range. That being said it is the hardest freakin thing to do, I recommend frozen veggies of your choice with a little bit of the dried parmesan cheese, this little trick works wonders for me I can eat a heaping portion with minimal calories, then I don't feel starved. If you have a craving for a specific food (ie something unhealthy) have a small bit otherwise you will eat around the craving/hunger.
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    That's actually not true. The opposite is more accurate. Less food, even if it means less exercise, is better for your long-term health.
  • Demmuscles
    Demmuscles Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That's actually not true. The opposite is more accurate. Less food, even if it means less exercise, is better for your long-term health.

I would say that depends on what type of food.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I find myself RAVENOUS after a few days of hard workouts! Eat! Just make sure it is the right kinds of foods.

^^^This!

Eat more and train hard but never overtrain!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

Doesn't that depend on perspective though? I mean obviously anorexics are not creating long term health benefits.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My activity increases my hunger by less than the kilojoules I burn, so I get to eat calorie dense foods that I would otherwise have to avoid when I am more active.

However, as I have an overuse injury to my hip, less calories and less activity is the current way my body is directing me.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think there are 100 formulas and they all work cause there are a thousand body types. I say no one formula is universal. We all have to find what works for us and go with that. And, be equally supportive of what works for others who may be different from us.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Even when i eat more, I'm still within my healthy range set by MFP and confirmed by my nutritionist. I'm 6 feet tall, 188 pounds and my metabolism tests have shown my BMR to be anywhere between 1900-2000. According to MFP I need to net 1620 to lose one pound a week. I burn on average over 400 per day via activity (I use a heart rate monitor and even then I'm conservative about how much it says I burn). I only eat in the 2000-range once or twice a week, usually on weight lifting days because I'm hungrier. Other days it is around 1700-1850. I aim for 110 grams or more of protein per day.

I just read that Runners World article and I totally understand what that author was getting at. You can't out-train bad nutrition. However, I don't eat whatever I want like it seemed he was doing.

Just thought it would be interesting to get diffent opinions on this and I'm sure we have all had different experiences!
  • Lekkie84
    Options
    Well that would all depend on the type of exercise you do. The body needs to repair and restore therefore having a higher demand for things like protein.

You can't eat less and be a marathon runner. However, if you're doing mild strength or cardio then perhaps you need to re-think how much you're eating. The higher the intensity of the excerise, the higher amount of calories you need. You do need to be able to fuel your body to have a consistent energy supply. Post exercise, your body is continually working to restore it's 'factory settings' after a workout. Once again, the higher the intensity the harder your body works to bring your body back to 'normal'. I am speaking on very general terms though... everyone's different. If you're exercising to loose weight then the obvious key is to eat less and exercise more. Calories in < calories burnt.
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I totally find this interesting as well. I find I'm less hungry when I don't work out, but I do think about food a lot more, and mindlessly eat even if I'm not hungry. I also find it really easy to over eat when I have a heavy workout - run over 10 miles. It's like my hunger goes into overdrive. While it's good, it's harder for me to control my deficit on those days. I do best when I keep my workouts to an hour or under - I get hungry, but it's a controllable hunger, and I mostly crave healthy foods. But I still love to do a long run and pig out on french toast (and maybe a cupcake) every once in a while ;)