what's "rule" do you have?

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    1) Try to hit my kcal/macro targets to the best of my abilities.
    2) Do not eliminate foods.

I tend to eat most of my calories right before bed. Tonight was rather extreme in that I ate 2050 kcals between 9pm and 11pm. Feels good.

But that's not a rule for me as much as it is preference. I sleep better when full, and I like fasted training, and compressed feed windows are baller.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    1. Stay under cal goal
    2. Get some protein at each meal
    3. Try to hit fat goal and TRY to get to 100g protein
    4. As little processed food as possible (good thing I like to cook)

Other than that I'm pretty flexible. I haven't cut anything out totally, though I have cut down on bread, potatoes, rice. I don't have any rules about when to eat but I enjoy saving my cals for dinner (6pm-1am)!
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My hard fast rule is to not eat past 6:00 and only eat when I am hungry.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat most of my calories right before bed...

But that's not a rule for me as much as it is preference. I sleep better when full...

You just reminded me of another rule I have.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

You just reminded me of another rule I have.

Which is?
  • themurph8910
    Options
    I don't really have any hard rules that I follow. But I am what my husband calls a grazer...I snack A LOT. but I try to snack healthy..almonds, pretzel sticks. peanut butter fruit for a sugar. I also let myself have a "bad" treat every now and again. I felt like if I kept saying NO to the bad I fell off the wagon more and more... so every now and again I eat the snickers or whatever I am craving.
  • hellyarms
    Options
    My #1 rule is..

Not eating cake unless its my birthday or my families birthday. I work in a pre school and there is an excuse for cake at least 2-3 times a week...it was getting out of hand! I think if you have "a thing" that is your big battle, just cut it out completely.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I don't have rules. Rules make things forbiden. Forbiden things set you up for temptation. Temptation sets you up for failure. I have daily goals, that's about it.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat late which is past 6pm, unless I'm at work with some coffee & a snack..... work is pretty hectic walking the hospital floor so I usually burn it up. I work out at least 5 days a week, if the weather is bad I do tv exercises.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    1) Hit macros every single day
    2) Reach calorie goal as closely as possible
    3) Go all out in gym, don't hold back
    4) Sleep
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    My rule is, if I can burn it off, I can eat it.

I'm still working out what I can and can't realistically burn off in a day, but I'm getting there. The thing is, I started noticing a difference in what I want to eat after only the first few days of exercise. It seems to be altering my tastes. Which is fine.
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    No hard rules really....I can be stubborn and be defiant when it comes to things like that.

I just have to 'remember' that I can now have anything I want.....within reason and moderation. I can HAVE a slice of pizza or cake but make it a serving size. I can also NOT have it and live. LOL

i am also finding out on my journey that I can lose weight eating the right kind of carbs!!! I never thought I could lose weight eating brown rice and bread and pasta. Its AWESOME!

Thank goodness for this site and it's caloric calculator. It has helped me tremendously and OK...here is my hard rule...I must log EVERYTHING! Regardless if it was good or bad or I'll go over...EVERYTHING! No lying to myself and others. If I ate it, I log it!
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Try to stay within my calorie and nutrient goals every day, even on "cheat" days.
    Try to stay under my sodium for the day (seems to be very hard for me and I don't add salt to anything!).
    Try to be reasonable with carbs, especially breads and go whole grain, high-fiber and complex whenever possible.
    Try to keep well under my fat goals (although today isn't starting out well!)
    Limit caffeine and no caffeine after 3 or 4:00 PM.
    Hit my minimum of 8 glasses of H2O every day (most days I hit that before 7:00 AM!).
    And as another poster said, just because it's free or unlimited doesn't mean I have to eat it!

Wow! I have more rules than I thought I did! Really they are guidelines..............
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My #1 rule is to BE ACCOUNTABLE. I log every day no matter whether I am over or under. I am accountable every day without excuses. It works well for me and I celebrated my 2-year weight loss journey anniversary yesterday.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The only thing hard and fast (while keeping things PG13!) is the way I run!

Other than that, my only rule is that if I can't eat everything I love, I should at least love everything I eat. I'm not going to have something I don't like just because it's good for me. Every bite that goes into my mouth has to be something I enjoy eating.
  • VinVenture
    Options
    Portion control, it's better to take two small servings than finish one big one, you have a better chance of moderating it.

If pigging out is inevitable (or heavy drinking, as students occasionally do), do a proper, heavy workout that day for damage control. More of the kcal will go into building muscle, so less can go to fat. Also, you get a lot stronger effect on the alcohol, so limiting the liquid kcal is easier.

If you crack, don't beat yourself up about it. Doing so will only make you cave in further and that's making it worse. Just get back on track and call it a cheat day, they're good on occasion.

Figure out your cravings, if you crave chocolate - eat something with magnesium in it, if you crave soda and candy, eat red meat. (You'd be surprised how well this one works)

Take time to enjoy the food, the smell, the colours and textures. To paraphrase Dylan Moran "You just sit there, dipping bread in anything runnier than bread, thinking to yourself. Tomorrow I'¨ll eat something that has more than two colours!" My rule of thumb, at least three colours in the meal.
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a well rounded diet and nothing is truly off limits with the exception of potatoes and pasta. They are gateway drugs for me!! If I don't eat them, I don't want them. But if I eat them, I want nothing more than MORE potatoes and pasta. And I also never, never drink calories.
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    Options
    I try to log every thing I eat.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have no rules. Everything in moderation. If I want a glass or two of wine at dinner, I'll have it. I do best when I don't restrict myself.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 cups of water (very fast) right before I take my first bite of any meal or snack, and drink 2 cups immediately after I'm done. Fills me up way better than if I ate first then drank water, or drank water throughout eating.