Buy a wii???

Options
I was unable to find this on the message board/ I just wanted opinions on the necessity of buying a Wii. I do belong to a gym, but honestly sometimes I don't go .Driving at night, due to my eyesight, so that limits me especially after dinner.

I am not getting one as a gift and was wondering if I should get one. I used one at Thanksgiving and couldn't believe how much fun and info it gave me.

What do you think. Please keep in mind my age, and my hip issue. Thanks.

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Have a Wii, with Wii fit, wii sports and now for a week EA sports active 2. I love it. Use that when I dont go to the gym :D
  • bjean0
    bjean0 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    oh ya buy one not only is there the wii fit but theres zumba, just dance, and other sport games.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Kinect is WAY better IMO
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm 60, have knee "issues" and LOVE my Wii. I don't consider it a necessity but it sure is helpful when you don't feel like going out and during winter. It offers some good, fun alternatives. I say go for it. Buy the Wii fit plus and not just the Wii fit. I can build up a good sweat using the Wii. Good luck. :smile:
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I have a bad hip (need hip replacement in my 30's or 40's), and to be honest I found the Wii was of little help. Sure it was fun, but i didn't break a sweat. I sold mine back in the early summer. I use my elliptical and have seen amazing results.
  • WarriorWomanMaxine
    WarriorWomanMaxine Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    yeah get one i have wii /ps3 had xbox but i love the wii the most loads of great games from sports/dancing/exercise all you can get a real good sweat on and burn loads calories
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my wii. Have had it for years. I mainly use to to chart my weightloss (wii fit plus). Initally I worked out on it loads and lost weight but then I started walking, swimming etc so I don't have time for it. I am planning to start it up again with a Zumba DVD or something like that. I can't really afford the classes every week so this is ideal.
  • becky2967
    Options
    we have one and xbox with connect. i much prefere the xbox, it is alittle more expensive but worth it, zumba and adventures on connect have helped me shift weight. 5lb in one week to! x
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I love my Wii and use it a lot. Some of the games don't take a lot of energy, others do. some of it, of course is going to be how much you choose to put in to it :)
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Depends on your personality. If you need an instructor yelling at you to put more effort into it, a Wii probably won't do it for you. My brother infuriates me, he can get impossibly high scores sitting on the couch, waving the sensor *just* enough... sigh.
    If you're using the Wii for weight loss, you have to make yourself go all out & really work even when you're tempted to slack off. If you're the type of person who can do that, it's probably a great fit for you. Personally, I LOVE Just Dance and Just Dance II.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    It's not for me but my fiance loves it, she uses it all the time.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am not at work but I looked at two studies just published or about to be published in the NSCA Journal of Strength Conditioning Research. Haven't looked at the details, but both suggested that, just following the general game/workout instructions, the Wii was not effective for either conditioning or weight loss.

The thing with these studies--and why I would have to look at the details, is it looked like they were more passive--meaning they tried to look at "typical" behavior by putting the devices in real life situations with the manufacturer's instructions. I don't think the users were guided through the workouts. So, it could be one of those situations where it's not that you CAN'T lose weight or increase fitness with the Wii, it's that the typical user will not see improvements unless they supply the direction and the effort.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I got a Wii a couple of years ago. I mainly use Wii Fit Plus but I have EA Sports Active 2 as well. I have a gym membership, but sometimes I can't make it and the Wii is a fair substitute. I also use Wii Fit to weigh myself weekly, it gives me my BMI too.
    I have heard arguments from friends that the Xbox Kinnect is better, which is fine if you have the space. I don't. The Wii takes up very little room.
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd go Xbox with a kinect. We have a Wii and it;'s great but the kinect blows it out of the water and is such a great work out!
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bump - I asked a similar question earlier this week, so would like to keep both topics together to help me decide.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I got a Wii a couple of years ago. I mainly use Wii Fit Plus but I have EA Sports Active 2 as well. I have a gym membership, but sometimes I can't make it and the Wii is a fair substitute. I also use Wii Fit to weigh myself weekly, it gives me my BMI too.
    I have heard arguments from friends that the Xbox Kinnect is better, which is fine if you have the space. I don't. The Wii takes up very little room.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Do I need the wii fit plus or can I just buy the wii fit software alone?
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Do I need the wii fit plus or can I just buy the wii fit software alone?

Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus are both software. The Plus has everything the first one has and more. You need to have the Wii balance board too.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of your age as it couldn't see it mentioned in your OP but the Wii is more adaptable if you have mobility issues.

You can buy a Wii complete with Wii Fit Plus (the game) and the balance board. Most places only sell the Wii Fit Plus software now as it has more choice of games and making your own routines than the original Wii Fit game.

The 'Wii Fit Plus' IS the software (games disc), the balance board and Wii console are the Hardware.

If you don't already have the Wii Console or the balance board you need them all!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Console-Balance-Motion-Controller/dp/B004BSFAX4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1322320535&sr=8-4

If your in US just go to amazon.com to find same package so you know what to look for.

The Kinect is great if you are fully mobile but if you might need to do some exercises sitting, it won't recognise you, as I know of a family who has one and has a member in a wheelchair, and it failed to recognise them, only the members standing.

I am wheelchair user and do some wii games from sitting on board instead of standing and some where you have to take steps (obstacle course) can be done by sitting on my chair (or edge of your sofa) with feet on the board and moving them up and down to mimic 'taking steps', I also know of someone who stands holding onto a walking frame and just lifts her heels up and down rather than her whole foot, so the Wii Fit is much more adaptable from a disability viewpoint.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't buy one just for Wii Fit. Consider the platform as a whole. The big plus for me is that I can play Netflix on it.