Jenny Craig is causing depression. Help?

I started Jenny Craig almost 2 months ago. In the beginning, it was going great. I felt satisfied and was liking my results (I don't have much to lose and it WAS helping). As of lately I feel like I am spiraling out of control. When I stray from the weekly meal plan, I feel like a complete disaster. I hate myself for it and get super sad/angry with myself. I want to punish myself for it.

I feel like I cannot go out to eat ever for fear I will order the wrong thing. I've given up drinking completely (as a 23 year old...) and now my friends have started to stop inviting me out. I live by myself, so I never really knew that my eating was seeming disordered, but recently I've been spending more time with family and they are telling me that I'm obsessed and acting unhealthy, and I agree that food has now become a numbers game and not something I can actually enjoy. I can't enjoy a "splurge" because I feel so guilty about the numbers. And lately, being around people again and seeing them eat and telling myself "I absolutely cannot eat that" is causing me to binge by myself in private after the fact.

Has anyone else been on a diet plan like this and had any of these similar feelings? Was it a rut or did you quit? I am thinking of telling my consultant this week that I want out... I feel like I don't have a normal life at all anymore...

:sad:

Replies

• TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    I tried NutriSystem many many years ago. The prepackaged meals weren't too bad and there were even yummy brownies. But not a lot of fresh, real food. I knew I was done when someone walked by with a plate of tuna salad and I started salivating like it was an ice cream sundae.

I know for me to be successful I have to be able to make the food I want, and have lots of fresh, whole foods. MFP is working great for me so far and I get to decide what is on the menu each day. And I drink alcohol ;-).
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    I have to say, I don't think there's anything wrong with giving up drinking at any age.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I would consider stopping that program, and (assuming you are not under direct medical pressure to lose weight) I would take a diet break entirely.

Do you have a professional that you can talk to about this, like a doctor or therapist?

I don't mean to sound like an alarmist, but it sounds like you're having some unhealthy food issues that you might want to get control over sooner rather than later.

Good luck.
  • Scatterdragon
    Scatterdragon Posts: 225 Member
    I started Jenny Craig almost 2 months ago. In the beginning, it was going great. I felt satisfied and was liking my results (I don't have much to lose and it WAS helping). As of lately I feel like I am spiraling out of control. When I stray from the weekly meal plan, I feel like a complete disaster. I hate myself for it and get super sad/angry with myself. I want to punish myself for it.

I feel like I cannot go out to eat ever for fear I will order the wrong thing. I've given up drinking completely (as a 23 year old...) and now my friends have started to stop inviting me out. I live by myself, so I never really knew that my eating was seeming disordered, but recently I've been spending more time with family and they are telling me that I'm obsessed and acting unhealthy, and I agree that food has now become a numbers game and not something I can actually enjoy. I can't enjoy a "splurge" because I feel so guilty about the numbers. And lately, being around people again and seeing them eat and telling myself "I absolutely cannot eat that" is causing me to binge by myself in private after the fact.

Has anyone else been on a diet plan like this and had any of these similar feelings? Was it a rut or did you quit? I am thinking of telling my consultant this week that I want out... I feel like I don't have a normal life at all anymore...

:sad:

I know how you feel. I am doing Herbal Magic (canadian company) at the beginning I saw great results, and I have 7 months left and I have been at a plateau for the last 2 weeks. I blog about it and my friends are saying that all I am doing is being negative, but it is so so so hard to see the numbers not going down.

Keep at it though, you will be done eventually, and it will be worth it!

to quote from one of my favorite songs :
    "No one said it's easy, and no one said you have to be perfect. But as long as you try, you're always gonna find it was worth it"
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    It's not a side affect of the diet. It's that you're letting the diet run your life. You're focussed on it so much that you're starting to miss out on other, normal things because you don't want to stray from your "plan". Even on a fixed diet plan like that, there's always wiggle room. Like, you don't have to completely give up drinking. You could even just substitute red wine, which is lower in sugar and is actually good for you. Just stop being so hard on yourself, and you'll be fine. If nothing get's better, i'd recommend seeing a therapist as the problems could run deeper. Good luck and I hope this helped a little :)
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    I was on an eating plan and I grew very dependent on it. When I was not able to keep with it I was lost and down spiraled on vacations.

After being on it for a couple of months I got bored with the food and wanted variety. I failed but through that I dedicated to finding something that would work for me. Several months later I have found a program that has given me the freedom I was looking for and the results as well.

Hang in there!
  • cinditree
    cinditree Posts: 35 Member
    You need to be doing something you can maintain for a lifetime, not just a temporary diet, It sounds very unhealthy for you emotionally, try counting calories then you can allow yourself anything in moderation. That is much more sustainable. Maybe consult with a nutritionist (one who isn't selling you anything) to come up with a good balance for your goals.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    To me it is a math game...calories intake opposed to calories burned. Eat, Drink and burn up the calories....Myfitnesspal.com works for me.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    December 2, 2010 I was at 212 pounds.......11/25/2011 158.5
  • Amazingday
    Amazingday Posts: 682 Member
    Programs never worked for me, too much emphasis on what you can't have and not enough on what is good for you. It sounds like you need to keep it simpler. Or your perception of food will continue to spiral out of control. I like this site because I can track what I eat and if I slip up and have too much, I add extra exercise. Life is about balance, if you are going to eat something considered not good...... have a smaller portion. When you go out, you should be able to not drink if you don't want too. They aren't true friends if they leave you out for not drinking. I learned I have a food allergy and the first thing I thought of was all the things I couldn't have, so now I cook my food. I keep it simple and find great things that I can have. I don't crave and gorge or feel guilty if I slip....... I too think you should take a break from them. Start cooking your own food, track it on here so if you make something and it has alot of calories or unexpected numbers you know what to avoid in the future. Plus, you can't stay on those plans forever, you need to be able to do it without prepackaged food. If you use the phone app. and you are out, search the food before you order it to see if you are on track....... good luck and take care!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    I don't know how many people in this world whose "natural/normal" diet ONLY consists of eating what someone else made, loaded with chemicals, packaged and shipped from a FACTORY.

This is only an opinion here but NO WONDER you're feeling down about this! Do you seriously see yourself eating like this for the rest of your life? And let's talk about the here and now~ you obviously are feeling like some sort of "freak" or "oddity" in your present life......"No, I can't go to lunch with the girls and order a nice salad with grilled chicken and enjoy your company because I have to eat from a BOX".

Again, my opinion only, diets like Jenny and Nutrisystem are very drastic and life altering for some people. You can still follow a healthy eating plan, including alcohol (sorry, does NOT include BINGE drinking festivals) and "blend in" with the rest of your world.

Consider checking out the diaries of some of the more succesful MFP folks and get some ideas for REAL food plan and get yourself OUT of the box!! (don't forget exercise!)

The very best of luck to you.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    December 2, 2010 I was at 212 pounds.......11/25/2011 158.5

You're my freakin' hero!!

Congratulations!!
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    I've never tried any purchased diet plans/meals like this, but I went through a spell in college with very disordered eating. It started with innocent calorie counting. There was nothing 'wrong' with what I was doing. I always ate enough food, and never even teetered into starvation. From the outside, I'm sure it appeared just fine because I wasn't doing anything physically bad.

Mentally, I turned into a mess. I OBSESSED over calories and counting. I never wanted to continually lower my calories (which I think is a typical issue people run into), I just couldn't think about anything else. For me, I became so overtaken with counting calories, I ultimately started to fail and eat over my limit (even if I wasn't hungry - I think it was some power struggle thing, but I don't know). Then I'd feel incredibly guilty and awful and fat and worthless etc. and then I'd go eat more. I honestly believe that this contributed in my road to binge eating. I never purged, but I would binge like crazy. It turned into some mentally twisted game where after several 4000 calorie days I'd promise myself to diligently count again. I would for a few days, maybe a week and then ultimately binge again. I felt awful.

I probably should have sought out professional help, but I didn't. I think maybe because I only thought that anorexia and bulimia were eating disorders, that I would be looked at as silly for talking to my doctor about my problem since it wasn't either of those. Did I have an eating disorder? Maybe not, but I had very disordered eating. The only thing that got me out of it, was coming home from college, which put me in a new environment, forgetting about calories all together (because even when binging, dieting was on my mind), and just trying to be active and happy. I probably gained a little weight in this time (5-8lbs) but it was so worth it, and I lost it later (without counting calories!) I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one who goes through something of this nature :) I honestly refuse to count calories ever again, because I think it's just a slippery slope for me. (I'm actually toeing into the paleo thing which just says eat meats, veggies, fruits, nuts/oils whenever hungry, but I'm not sure I'll ever go at it 100% I'm probably 80% paleo because I don't want to tell myself "you cannot eat grains." I don't even want them that much because they make me feel lethargic and bloated, but when I crave a half a bagel, darn it I'm going to eat it!)

Anyhow, best of luck - and know you're not alone! I wish I could offer real help, but I'm certainly not qualified for that!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Well I'm actually doing the program too and it's been a wonderful success for me.

I do understand the 'out of control' feeling. I've had it. But I can honestly say that their program is a wonderful tool. I buy their food and calorie count. They recommend 2000cals a day, I started at 1600 and just switched to 1400. I don't buy any of their breakfasts (too expensive and I'm quite happy making my own) I also allow myself one dinner (Subway) a week off plan as I'm too busy that night and want something easier. I also still eat out, just less than I used to. I haven't drunk much since I started but I've never been a big drinker. If you feel you must, vodka and OJ is a good option but it's a lot of crap cals only to give you a headache the next day.

How much have you lost and how much left to go?
  • Thank you everyone so much!

I have definitely concluded that I am letting go of 75% of the Jenny Food and I am going to tell my consultant all of these feelings at my next weigh-in. This is more of a mental struggle than the actual plan itself, and though weight loss truly IS a numbers game, I shouldn't be feeling this upset if I stray. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I love lists and plans, so when I am straying from my JC plan I get mad at myself, which is obviously a personal issue and not an issue with the plan.

Regardless, many are right. I cannot be on this diet for life, nor do I want to. Maybe if I gain the freedom back to make my own meals I will not feel so much like I am depriving myself from the things I truly want. I am even finding options that are better for me than the Jenny food, and maybe my sodium will go down too since literally everything I am eating right now is coming from a box.

Thecrossfitte's response is spot-on what I'm going through. Not really an eating disorder, but definitely disordered eating. And rosied915 is right when she talks about getting a grilled chicken salad with the girls - totally acceptable thing to eat, but when I feel like that's the ONLY thing I can eat when I go out (according to my JC consultant), it makes me feel blah that I can't have anything else, therefore making me sad, therefore I eat in private later.

As for the drinking, I don't really "binge" drink. Normally I would have vodka waters or beer. But I haven't touched a drop of alcohol for over a month now. (Which is fine, but when all your friends do is go to the bars, it makes it difficult to feel like part of a group! Yet, I feel bad even if I order ONE drink, like it will make or break my diet).

Either way, I think I can do this without the help of Jenny and with the right mindset. With under 10 lbs to lose, I know that it will be more of a struggle than someone who has 30 lbs to lose, but we all face obstacles. This is a lifestyle change, and not something that is going to happen in just a few months.

I am on the road to success, and I think quitting JC will keep me on that track mentally!

XOX
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Personally i don't think it has anyting to do with Jenny Craig. I DO think it's a phenomenon of dieting for some people/personality types. I would seek professional intervention (nutritionist, counselor) before it becomes a full fledged eating disorder.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    To me it is a math game...calories intake opposed to calories burned. Eat, Drink and burn up the calories....Myfitnesspal.com works for me.

I'm very happy to know this, and that it's working so well for you, because every diet I've ever tried makes me obsessive about food. It's hard enough burning off what I eat even with exercise, but at least that means I mostly get to eat what I want!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    If your JC consultant is telling you that only grilled chicken salad is acceptable then she's wrong. My consultant always advises to eat the healthiest choice possible. If I go out thats how i do it.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    And yes- I don't think this is a Jenny Craig issue either - im sure it can be a great program that works for many. I think it's a mentality that can develop no matter you're doing. Anything that is strict/regimented I think can lead to it. I also know that very addictive personalities and OCD run in my family. (usually with alcohol - which I don't see as an excuse for them, but I do think addictive mentalities can run in families- learned or otherwise.. Sort of irrelevant to me how it happens). Just to clarify I'm not bashing on Jenny Craig :)
  • In my humble opinion do not walk away from Jenny Craig - RUN!!! I also tried their "plan" and found obsessions starting to build with unbelievable feelings of guilt when ever I "messed up". Honestly I think part of it came from the knowlwdge that I was spending an unbelievable amount of money on the whole thing. You will find much better results if you channel your "obsessions" in to changing your lifestyle, having fun with cooking real food, finding a fun way to exercise and being accountable to yourself vs. some JC consultant who has no true expertise in anything other than the scripted responses they are trained to give you! Good luck on your journey because that is what this whole weight loss thing is - a journey not just a quick trip!