Husband's diagnosis took me off the path but now I am back a

Options
Hey everyone it is good to be back!

I had started losing weight for my wedding way back in Sept 2010. I started out at 250 and wanted to reach the 180's for my wedding. With MFP and some reaaaaally hard work, I made it! I was 188 when I walked down the aisle.

Well, not even a month into our marriage, my husband and I received some pretty devastating news..... My husband of 3 weeks has cancer.

My husband, Lonnie, was Diagnosed with Nodular Sclerosis Hodgkin Lymphoma stage 3. He is going through 6 months of chemo and has 4 months of it left. He is actually responding extremely well and seems better then ever! He gets tired and worn out but that is pretty much it. I am so thankful that my husband is practically back to normal. He was in such a bad way that all we see is his improvement.

With Lonnie being diagnosed, my diet and work out plans went completely out of the window. We were in and out of the hospital so much I just gave up eating right. Sitting next to my husband as he went through hours and hours of chemo and/or blood transfusions left me with no time to work out. Needless to say, I gained back some of the weight I lost for my wedding.

Now I sit here, 210 pounds, with a new zest for getting back on track. My husband is doing so well that he only needs to go to the hospital once ever 2 weeks for his chemo. I have a lot more time on my hands and more opportunity to get to my ultimate goal weight of 150.

I want to get to 150 by summer. I want to be able to wear all those amazing summer clothes I was drooling over this year. I want to have the confidence to wear a dress, skirt, or shorts in public. Even a tank top that showed my arms would be amazing! I know it wont be easy and I know there will be times I will want to give up but I will not let myself! If my husband can fight for his life with a smile on his face and a positive thought in his head then I can lose this weight!

Replies

• TiffanyRMiller
    TiffanyRMiller Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Nikki! What a positive attitude! Thoughts are with you and your husband during this difficult time! May he find the strength to endure his treatment and recover fully, so that you may finish this journey you started together!
  • Charice
    Charice Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Excellent post Nikki...and excellent attitude!! I am SO glad that your husband is doing so well...I'm glad for both of you. You did so well getting in shape for your wedding that I have every confidence that you will be struttin' your stuff next Summer. I am getting back on the wagon myself after 3 months of health issues linked to a medication (damn the Depo Provera shot!!!). I am not taking the med anymore and it is slowly working out of my system...but I have gained 8 pounds in that three months. So, we can do this thing! Remember, you have lots of support and friends right here if you ever need a boost! Hang tough!
  • NikkiTaber
    Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • Prozack1964
    Options
    sorry to hear about your hubby. A friend of mine had that and he just finished his last treatment last month and is doing very well and free of the cancer so far so. I hope the best for him and will be praying for him. You keep up the good work and do what you can when you can I know how hard it is when someone you love is in the hospital I went through it with my mom when she was in there for 3 months before she past. Good luck
  • vilyli6
    vilyli6 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you have been through and how that can take away your focus completely. I had the same experience except with my son when he was diagnosed with brain cancer, medulloblastoma. He spent 6 weeks every single day with radiation and 18 months of chemo. I called the Childrens Hospital my home away from home. There is no exercising there, only sleeping and watching massive amounts of television and food on the go. When you watch your loved one go through something like that, you don't have time or the desire to think about yourself. You live day to day and just try to get through another day. My son is doing great and I am so happy your husband is doing better too. May God keep them safe and cancer-free. Congratulations for being back on track. I am sure your husband would like you now to focus on yourself....AND, as you stood by him through his journey, he will be happy to stand by you through yours.
  • NikkiTaber
    Options
    I am so sorry your son had to go through that. I am happy he is doing great! I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to watch your child fight for their life. Thank you for the encouraging words and the support.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    just throwing this out there for those in similar situations... I'm wondering why more hospitals don't provide a work out area for the family members vs. waiting rooms with TV's. When I was visiting my friend who eventually died of cancer, her parents were there and always looked like they could use a break. for promoting health, I guess I'd like to see some heart healthy - exercise options for those that want to be near loved ones, but don't have a gym near by. even a room with a few exercise bikes, or treadmills would be nice.
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That's a completely do-able plan! Of the 50 I've lost (I started in January at 188 pounds) I lost about 40 of it by May. You can definitely be buying a sexy wardrobe by summer!
    I'm very happy to hear your husband is feeling well again. Don't forget to take care of YOU! He needs you to be well too :)
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    ohhhh....my heart goes out to you both! Life can really throw us some curveballs.
    If I can help in anyway with you new found journey, let me know! Add me as a friend if you like. :flowerforyou:
  • NikkiTaber
    Options
    You are right SMarie10, hospitals should provide a healthy alternative to just sitting in front of a tv and waiting. I know I definitely could use an exercise room or something. I think what I might start doing is going for a walk while he gets his chemo. He is there for 3 hours so I could slip away for like a 1/2 hour or so. The hospital is also built on the side of a hill so there is plenty of incline for a good walk.
  • TiffanyRMiller
    Options
    I completely understand what you have been through and how that can take away your focus completely. I had the same experience except with my son when he was diagnosed with brain cancer, medulloblastoma. He spent 6 weeks every single day with radiation and 18 months of chemo. I called the Childrens Hospital my home away from home. There is no exercising there, only sleeping and watching massive amounts of television and food on the go. When you watch your loved one go through something like that, you don't have time or the desire to think about yourself. You live day to day and just try to get through another day. My son is doing great and I am so happy your husband is doing better too. May God keep them safe and cancer-free. Congratulations for being back on track. I am sure your husband would like you now to focus on yourself....AND, as you stood by him through his journey, he will be happy to stand by you through yours.

I am encouraged to hear that your son is doing well. My lifelong friends 16 year old son was just diagnosed with medulloblastoma and just started radiation. I am going to share your story with her! They have high hopes and a good prognosis but someone else's positive outcome will sure help!
  • TiffanyRMiller
    Options
    You are right SMarie10, hospitals should provide a healthy alternative to just sitting in front of a tv and waiting. I know I definitely could use an exercise room or something. I think what I might start doing is going for a walk while he gets his chemo. He is there for 3 hours so I could slip away for like a 1/2 hour or so. The hospital is also built on the side of a hill so there is plenty of incline for a good walk.

Maybe, if you have the time and the desire, you could suggest that to the hospital where your husband has his chemo. You could use some of the time there to talk to people, maybe visit some of the waiting rooms and ask those that are there to sign a petition or something. I am sure there are many people who could use the outlet of a treadmill or exercise bike during their long stays at the hospital. Good luck and keep your head up!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Sry about your hubby. My hubby was diagnosed 8 months before our wedding. He's in remission but I know the stress of treatments he still takes and dr apts can cause problems for me with staying on track. Its a scary thing to deal with and I personally will always be worried in the back of my mind. Keeping you and your hubby in my prayers! Add if you want and good luck on your journey!
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO! Sounds like a great thing to get you on track. The BEST gift you can give each other is good health - when it's controllable. As a survivor of what was quickly becoming stage 1 ovarian cancer, I know how much your husband appreciates you being there for me, and I know he'll REALLY appreciate you taking care of yourself as well. :)

50 lbs in 7 months? Let's do this thing!
  • NikkiTaber
    Options
    50 lbs in 7 months? Let's do this thing!

Hell yes!