new mom would like to chat/share ideas

Options
Hi! My name is Christy. I'm 32 years old. I had a son 10/12/2011 via c-section. I was 268 lbs when i got pregnant and gained 44 lbs during my pregnancy. I've been able to drop 36 lbs since delivery and i'm currently at 278.6 lbs. I'm exhausted. Are there any suggestions for helping me gain energy to lose weight? Any suggestions for activities or anything you've used in your own home for successful weight loss? I'd like to be able to keep up with my son and not be a larger mom with difficulties. I would appreciate any advice and support. :)

Thank you!!! :happy:

Replies

• smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast, I wasnt much of a big breakfast eater before I had Xavier but now I eat breakfast and feel a lot better when I do. Nap when he naps (My little boy at 8mths still takes naps and during the evening he will sleep for an hour two times a day)

when hes sleeping, or whenever hes in a safe place (my little boy loves to sit in his swing) -- work out (jumping jacks, crunches, run in place for as long as you can) buy a dance workout video or just a work out video in general and do that throughout the day whenever you have time. Start out slow, dont do anything thats going to have you layed up in pain the next day, keep it light. I'm a very light excerciser and I've lost 10lbs since October 31st. (I go to the park twice a week and walk for an hour with my cousin after my fiance gets home) and around the house, I think the thing that helped me the most was knowing what to eat. I didnt eat alot before and my eating habits where horrible. Now I try to eat 3 times a day with 2 snacks (Light Cal Snacks) and I honestly think thats how most of my weight came off.
  • mandynichole88
    Options
    I feel you! I just had one 9/27/11 :) Congrats on the weight lost already. What's been working for me is just taking it slowly, logging my calories correctly, and exercise! Believe it or not I've gotten more energy just from incorporating exercise into my weekly routine. Even something low impact like yoga does the job.. So WELCOME! & congrats on your little one :)
  • Marebare74
    Options
    Congrats on the little one! I suggest wearing that little one as much as you can. If you don't have a wrap to carry him in get one ASAP... Then wear him vacuuming, folding laundry, in the market, and on walks weather permitting. He will get the benefit of the comfort of you and hearing your heartbeat, and you will have your hands free to do what needs to get done. Plus, carrying him around is a small bit of excercise itself.
  • apeecaleb
    apeecaleb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    To be honest, when I first started MFP all I did was log my food. I didn't worry about exercise for the first few weeks, not saying it's right for everyone, but I have had two kids in the last 2 and a half years and I was exhausted all the time. I almost immediately dropped 15lbs the first month by just watching my food intake. After loosing that little bit of weight my energy level shot up like crazy, it's as if that weight was holding me back and now that it was off I was ready to exercise. I am actually having to work on loosing my last 15lbs but just that radical change in my diet and dropping that weight really changed my body, energy level and even mood! Good luck on your weight loss journey!!!
  • Cruz2Fit
    Cruz2Fit Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome to MFP and congratulations on becoming a parent. Life will never be the same from here forward. I'm a mother of two, wife and professional. I started on MFP a couple of months ago and love the support. My struggle is with keeping up with any regimen long term. But, my suggestion is this: first, plan your dinners for the week during the weekend and get all your shopping done. Second, get yourself some at home workouts like the 30 Day shred or any other combo of light weights and cardio. With a new baby, you'll have to work around his schedule and this seems easier than going to the gym. Just my thoughts! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • cdaughen1
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks, everyone!! I thought about carrying him around. He's at 12 pounds now (I don't know if that's ok for a 6 week old, but i'll ask his Dr. LOL). I think i've lost quite a bit of weight because he likes to be rocked and jiggled. LOL oops...he's awake. Thanks again for anything you can offer!! :blushing:
  • Lhelms84
    Options
    Hi Cristy,
    Congrats on the little one! It just gets better and better!!
    My daughter will be two in March, and I just now have gotten back to pre-pregnancy weight.

My best advice is to
    #1: ENJOY every moment with your little guy, it goes SOOO fast! In doing this, respect and be patient with yourself and your
    body.
    #2: Log your calories. Everything you eat, every single day. Be honest. Weight loss is really 100% calories in/calories out. No
    secrets and no exceptions.
    #3: Be patient and allow your hormones to balance out, I didn't lose ANY weight until after I was done breastfeeding. (my
    daughter was 15mo. too!!)
    #4: Go for walks with your little guy, it will be a little easier when he gets bigger. I hate running, but LOVE walking.
    #5: If you haven't tried it, I recommend finding a nice yoga video that you can do at home. I found that yoga helped get my body
    back to homeostasis after pregnancy. It will also build strength and give you energy to get you through. I started out with a
    25min video and I now do a 45-60min video while my daughter naps
    #6: Check the success forum often! I can't tell you how many wonderful, amazing, brave people out there gave me hope for a
    healthier tomorrow! ..and now I'm proud to be one of them!

Good luck! You are not alone! This is a great community to get motivation to get fit!