Daily calorie intake---??

Options
I am between 255-260, depending on how much water I'm retaining. :grumble:

My daily caloric goal is 1,390. And lately I've been eating way over that, like by 700-900 calories. I realize I need to reign it in. When completing last night's food diary, it told me how much I'd weigh in a few weeks if I continued to eat that way (which was about the same as I do now).

However, after I'd completed the entry and clicked on it again--just out of curiosity--it said I would weigh 15 pounds less than what it originally listed, and, "Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum."

Also after clicking "Complete Entry" the second time, it said my daily caloric intake was 1,640 (I'd eaten over 2,500).

Today's daily caloric goal is back to 1,390. Can anyone explain this please? :huh:

Replies

• loriidan
    Options
    Hi Jess. I am wondering how tall you are? 1390 is so few calories for your current weight. How many pounds a week have you set your goals to lose? Slow loss is better and longer lasting. I know it's really hard to stick with it when you don't see quick loss, but take it from an old gal who's been there and back again...it will serve you better in the long run. I weigh 214, I'm 50 so it's harder for me to lose and my goals are set for only 1 pound weekly loss. My current MFP caloric intake is 1540 per day. At 28 yrs, yours should be higher but 2500 is definitely over the limit. You CAN do this. If your problem is the season, you know the holidays? Try this...remember the "holidays" are actually only 1 day each month. Thanksgiving(1 for November), Christmas(1 for December) and New Year's(1 for January). That's 3 days out of 90. I have never had a problem with my MFP logging and accuracy so you may need to go over the profile and goal settings again to be sure they are appropriate. Good luck and welcome to MFP!!
  • WhittledJess
    Options
    Hi Jess. I am wondering how tall you are? 1390 is so few calories for your current weight. How many pounds a week have you set your goals to lose? Slow loss is better and longer lasting. I know it's really hard to stick with it when you don't see quick loss, but take it from an old gal who's been there and back again...it will serve you better in the long run. I weigh 214, I'm 50 so it's harder for me to lose and my goals are set for only 1 pound weekly loss. My current MFP caloric intake is 1540 per day. At 28 yrs, yours should be higher but 2500 is definitely over the limit. You CAN do this. If your problem is the season, you know the holidays? Try this...remember the "holidays" are actually only 1 day each month. Thanksgiving(1 for November), Christmas(1 for December) and New Year's(1 for January). That's 3 days out of 90. I have never had a problem with my MFP logging and accuracy so you may need to go over the profile and goal settings again to be sure they are appropriate. Good luck and welcome to MFP!!
  • WhittledJess
    Options
    Hi Lori, thanks for your reply.

My height is 5' 4". I set my goal to lose 2 pounds a week, with three days a week of 30 min exercise. I have actually been through all of this before, in my early twenties. I got it off rather quickly by restricting my sugar and white bread intake. The difference this time is I'm on medications that have caused my (very) rapid weight gain. It is simply not as easy this time around to get the pounds off.....it's why I joined this site. I've never had to count calories, even when losing weight before. Most of my life I've been a slender--though curvy--size.

Anyway, I'm going to go back to my settings and make sure I've got them correct.

Appreciate your feedback!

Jess