Toning the arms

Options
Carrie6o6
Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
I've heard that the fastest thing you can tone on a woman is the arm. I really dont like my "fat wings" as I call them hahaha What exercises can I do to tone my arms? I dont want to look all muscular... just firm!

Replies

• Carrie6o6
    Options
    I've heard that the fastest thing you can tone on a woman is the arm. I really dont like my "fat wings" as I call them hahaha What exercises can I do to tone my arms? I dont want to look all muscular... just firm!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    THere are a TON of exercises for your arms

Bicep Curls - normal grip, reverse grip, hammer curls
    Tricep Extensions-
    Anterior & Lateral Deltoid Raises
    Push Ups
    Lat Pull Downs
    Upright Rows

My arms are my favorite thing to work out! You can do a ton of reps with a light weight to get more of a toned look.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Biceps curls, hammer curls, triceps extensions and nosebreakers are great. A fun twist on the biceps curls is 21's. You can search for these exercises online and see how to perform them... might even find some stuff on YouTube. :)
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Thank you very much ladies! :smile:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    FYI- Females can't bulk up from using weights- A womans body can only get so big those women you see that look like a man are using enhancements

There is a reason why men can get so big its called testostrone and we females don't have it.

As for exercises

Skull Crushers are good
    Kick Backs
    Over head Tricep extensions
    Dips
    Tricep pulldowns are all good

do 3 sets of 12-

Don't be afraid of weight training it is good for you and makes you look better having some muscle definition
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    FYI- Females can't bulk up from using weights- A womans body can only get so big those women you see that look like a man are using enhancements

There is a reason why men can get so big its called testostrone and we females don't have it.

Actually Females do have testosterone in their bodies. It's just that is something like 20 times less than the levels than men have.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Try 8 minute arms, the video on youtube (just search "8 minute arms") It's really easy to do at home whenever you have spare time and you can use cans of food or real weights. It's a good way to start out with some toning exercises :smile:
  • mrsyac2
    Options

Actually Females do have testosterone in their bodies. It's just that is something like 20 times less than the levels than men have.
    Okay well let me correct myself then:

we don't produce enough of it to make us big muscular wise our muscles can only get so big without the help of enhancements which are steroids and the ones women use are testosterone which is why those women start taking the shape of a man- Square jaws and deeper voices- Just like if a man was given birth control pills- Thats the point I was trying to make-
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    Women's Weight Training Myth #1 -Weight training makes you bulky and masculine.

Due to the fact that women do not, and cannot, naturally produce as much testosterone (one of the main hormones responsible for increasing muscle size) as males do, it is impossible for a woman to gain huge amounts of muscle mass by merely touching some weights. Unfortunately, the image that may come to your mind is that of professional female bodybuilders.

Most of these women, unfortunately, use anabolic steroids (synthetic testosterone) along with other drugs in order to achieve that high degree of muscularity. In addition, most also have good genetics coupled with an unbelievable work ethic that enable them to gain muscle quickly when they spend hours in the gym lifting very heavy weights. Believe me when I say that they do not look like that by accident. Women who conduct weight training without the use of steroids get the firm and fit cellulite-free looking body that you see in most fitness/figure shows these days.
  • fragable17
    Options
    i have naturally big arms... is there anything i can do to tone them without them getting bigger?
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    i have naturally big arms... is there anything i can do to tone them without them getting bigger?
    Please don't take offense!
    Here is my question are your arms fat? Do you have a lot of fat on your arms? If so they may seem big now but when you lose more weight and get closer to your goal they may not seem so big.

Or do you have big muscular arms? with very little fat?

My motto is if you can pinch it it's fat-lol- take no offense I say it to myself
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Try 8 minute arms, the video on youtube (just search "8 minute arms") It's really easy to do at home whenever you have spare time and you can use cans of food or real weights. It's a good way to start out with some toning exercises :smile:

Thanks a lot! What a cheesy video though! Is that the right one? hahahaha
  • fragable17
    Options
    no it isn't fat. it comes from years of being the most physical person in a house of girls and also working at walmart lifting heavy items as well as my 40 pound son. now the rest of my body is definitely fatty but somehow my upper arms missed that part. my shoulders and arms are very um... manly i guess you could say and so a lot of womens clothes dont fit my arms and shoulders properly.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Was about to go to bed and saw this, will read more in the morning!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    How many reps of these exercise should you do?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to UP your weight when you are lifting. As you grow stronger you need to move up from that 20 lb dumbbell to the 25 dumbbell and so on.
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    20lbs! Ive only been using 3lbs! hahaha
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    20lbs! Ive only been using 3lbs! hahaha

Well, is that honestly heavy and challenging to you? I have had a serious shoulder injury, so 5 lbs feels challenging when I'm doing my PT stuff, so I'm not knocking the lower weight. But honestly, your triceps are the largest muscle group in your arm, so you should be able to use more weight on your triceps than your biceps. I generally press (triceps) with about 20-25 lbs and pull (biceps) with 15. If I were using less weight, I'd be something like the 3 for biceps and 5-7 for triceps. And a gallon of milk weighs about 8.5 lbs, and I know you can lift that. :wink:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Well, is that honestly heavy and challenging to you?

This is what I'm saying. Not to use 20 lbs but to challenge yourself. At some point after working with 3 lbs for a while, they are no longer going to be really effective.

When I lift, I am sweating up a storm...you should be exerting yourself...In my opinion anyway.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    How many reps of these exercise should you do?

I'd start with something like 2 sets of 12-15. When you are able to do all of those without any fatigue it's time to move up to 3 sets.

I would start out with 8lb weights for bicep curls. SBS has been lifting for a while and is ripped so don't let their heavy weight scare you. When you can so all 3 sets with no problems then you know it's time to move up to 10lbs ----> 15lbs ----> 20lbs etc.