Exercise which is gentle on chest??

Options
Hi
I'm just recovering from a bad chest infection, the doctor told me it will be about three weeks before my chest gets back to normal and i can start doing my normal cardio workouts
In the meantime i want to be able to at least burn some calories so I am wondering if there anyone know any exercise i can do whilst I'm recovering that will be gentle on my chest but will burn some calories too!
any suggestions welcome
thanks
Nicki

Replies

• MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hmm, that is a tough one if you are in a recovery phase. Honestly, light walking and eating clean until you fully recover would probably be your best bet with light exercise band work.

Get better soon!

Coach Nyla
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    NPC Figure Competitor
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Any typical cardio exercise would be fine, zumba would be great as long as you don't use your arms to do some of the moves they do. Don't do any sort of kickboxing or even most of yoga :(

It really depends on the gentle on the chest. The bouncing in running could be bad dependent upon how careful you have to be, I definitely wouldn't jump into any pushups! I do a lot of heavy lifting so never notice any work on my chest in other situations.

I would assume elliptical (without the arms), seated bicycles (stationary), running and many dance types could be done without too much chest work :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Walking. Take it easy.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Any typical cardio exercise would be fine, zumba would be great as long as you don't use your arms to do some of the moves they do. Don't do any sort of kickboxing or even most of yoga :(

It really depends on the gentle on the chest. The bouncing in running could be bad dependent upon how careful you have to be, I definitely wouldn't jump into any pushups! I do a lot of heavy lifting so never notice any work on my chest in other situations.

I would assume elliptical (without the arms), seated bicycles (stationary), running and many dance types could be done without too much chest work :)

I don't think you read the OP.

I think walking is your best bet. Take it easy and focus on recovery.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    when you are sick, you need to rest... gentle walking, but thats about it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Gentle on the chest as in not using the chest muscles, or gentle on the chest as in easy on the lungs?

If it's a lung thing, I'd stick with walking.