Day 1 - New to myfitnesspal

Options
Hi! My name is Kim, and I have A LOT of weight that I need to lose. I've tried everything, and a friend recommended this site to me. Any tips that can be shared are much appreciated...recipes, meal suggestions, exercise tips, etc. Looking forward to this journey towards a healthier lifestyle!!!

Replies

• gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Welcome, all those tips are right here. Glad you have joined us.
  • peacenlv
    peacenlv Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hello :) well this is my 2nd week on this site and I LOVE IT!!! so glad u decided to join us all on this journey...one day at a time till WE REACH OUR GOAL!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim

Welcome to MFP, you'll find plenty of support on here. good luck with your journey ;0)

Andie x
  • RaceTo48Kg
    RaceTo48Kg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    right decision. welcome to the club :flowerforyou:

set your goals, stick to it and always be positive :wink:

cheers :drinker:
  • Butrfli
    Options
    You will LOVE this site! It has a great database full of food items that makes it so easy to keep track of your calories. This site has helped me tremendously and you'll find a lot of supportive great people here that will encourage when times seem slow and give you victory cheers when you lose, :) Keep logging....that's the main thing you've got to do and it will make you think twice before you eat something bad. Stay honest and accountable and stay under or at your calorie goal each day and get in some workouts at LEAST 3x's a wk. Good luck and best to ya! You CAN do it! Just remember to have patience! That was the hardest thing for me. I started on July 9th, 2011.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    You have come to the right place!!
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Butrfli,. This place makes Success happen and pretty fast too. Welcome Kim!
  • Annabelle555
    Annabelle555 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    Really need to lose 20lbs. myfitnesspal has said to eat 1200 calories a day. I'm fine until 6pm which is when I start eating too much . . . I work at home and am at the computer almost all day. It's really hard to not to reward myself with food and wine at the end of the day. I am so impressed by how much weight you have all lost. Advice please :)
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't do well with 1200 cals. I can manage with 1300 and have lost 12 pounds.
  • vilyli6
    vilyli6 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Welcome. To say you have come to the right place is an understatement. I started actually going to the community part of this site only 2 days ago and was floored by the support and responses of all here. They are encouraging, uplifting and you really get a sense they care. I love it. Please feel free to add me if you like.
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!!

This site is the only thing that has shown results for me. Some things that I have found useful:

- took it slow...I didn't try to change my whole life at once, just tackled one thing at a time. I started just logging without changing anything, then tried drinking more water...then staying under calorie...then adding in exercise...and so on.

- added some friends (great if there is someone you actually know, but not necessary!) and made my diary open to them. Keeps you accountable, and helps you to think twice about eating that "insert your vice here".

- explore the site - there is lots here! Like to write? Start a blog. Enjoy a challenge? Join one on the group forums. Enjoy leadership? Start your own group! Need inspiration? Check out the success stories forum! You can fine tune your own goals, record various measurements, track all kinds of different nutrients, the list goes on and on.

- log EVERYDAY. This is probably the most important thing for me...Even if the day doesn't go well - log it, own it, and learn from it!

Good luck and enjoy your journey!!!
  • vilyli6
    vilyli6 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, especially after the kids are in bed and I am alone. One trick I have been doing to help me is to save some of my calories available for that part of the day so that when those moods hit, I can have something like a yogurt or get some sugar-free pudding or even a piece of fruit (which is actually probably the better choice. If you don't have calories available, drink a big glass of ice cold water. A lot of times if you do that, the craving will subside within minutes. To me, if your craving is feeling out of control, its better to have a healthy, low calorie snack (even if you go over your calorie limit a littlle) than to deny yourself, get frustrated and then binge which is what I and many people have been guilty of. Or an alternative would be to take a walk or do some form of exercise, call a supportive friend, or get on the site here and read the success stories. Sometimes that helps too. Feel free to add me if you like and good luck! We are all here for each other.
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    Really need to lose 20lbs. myfitnesspal has said to eat 1200 calories a day. I'm fine until 6pm which is when I start eating too much . . . I work at home and am at the computer almost all day. It's really hard to not to reward myself with food and wine at the end of the day. I am so impressed by how much weight you have all lost. Advice please :)

Nothing derail's progress like feeling hungry...Some possible ideas:

- readjust your weight loss goal. If you go down to 1/2 lb per week, you will get more calories to work with. Better to have slower progress and feel satisfied (and stick with it) than fail completely because you are so hungry!!
    - exercise and log it! It will give you more so that you can eat more!
    - drink more water!
    - eat slower...give time for your brain to get the message
    - if you need that little reward to keep yourself motivated, then do it. Just make sure that your choices allow for the room.
    - stock up on veggies - low calorie so you can eat lots, and good for you!
    - you can also manually change your calorie allotment...perhaps you can slowly work your way down to what MFP has suggested - give yourself a chance to adjust. I know it is a lot easier now than when I first started (sometimes, I have to make myself eat more to make my quota - I'm nursing, so I don't want to mess with my milk supply...)
    - MFP offers lots of flexibility, so just try something different and see if it works...and if it doesn't, change it again :)
  • Setienne
    Options
    Hello Kim you made the right choice:drinker:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Welcome! dont set My fitness Pal to 1200 as a start.
    If you are in it to win it, do the research and know what YOUR personal stats are.
    Use the tools at http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/.
    The BMR calories tool is the most important one!

HUGS!
  • TYME4ME2CHANGE
    Options
    Welcome! I believe this is a very special place.. I found my way here through a diabetes magazine.. Feel free to add me as a friend..:flowerforyou: