how much of a problem is this....

Options
So I got some really useful advice on here on how to control your appetite , remain fuller for longer etc - and its working. (very pleased) ....But now I'm not really getting my recommended calories , is that something to be concerned about? Should you try to meet your recommended daily calories intake even if you're not particularly hungry?

Replies

• iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!!!

If your eating right to start, you shouldn't feel hungry. And you can feel full longer naturally.

Non processed foods are the worst. If your eating whole grains, fruits, veggies, probiotic natural yogurts, oatmeal.... the list goes on. You will feel full. While giving your body the nutrients it needs, the cals your body needs to function and lose weight right.

And of course exercise.

I cannot stress how important it is. Your body has a natural hormone balance it wants to be in, and when its not it leads to a ballad of probs seemingly unrelated. You feel healthy, full of energy, no depression and have a sense of well being unmatched. AND YOU CAN lose weight this way. Do I have times when it's hard to hit my cals? YES. Everyone at one point or another does. But know that you are doing this for you. For your body, for health. Not just to lose weight.
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think you should, yes. I've eaten less most of my life and it's slowed down my metabolism. It is now hard for me to drop any weight. Your body has daily needs. Be sure to give them to it and you'll be better off.

Interested in knowing how you learned to control your appetite!

Best of luck.
  • oodlesnoodles
    oodlesnoodles Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hello Zainabdice-

Congrats on controlling your appetite - I know that is something that proves very difficult for a lot of people, me included. As far consuming calories is concerned, you MUST consume a minimum of 1200 per day to avoid metabolism stagnation and your body going into "starvation mode". When this happens your body panics and stores ALL your calories, there fore you end up gaining weight instead of losing. Try mapping our your daily food ahead of time then, whether you are hungry or not, just consume small portions throughout the day. See if this works. If not, perhaps higher calorie meals (healthy calories of course!) so that you do not have to eat as often. Try different things and find what works for you. Just be sure to intake the 1200 calorie minimum. Good luck!

*NOTE: I totally agree with iKristine....you NEED EXERCISE to balance it all out!!*
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    well, is this "tip you received" something you are willing to do long term. If you are doing something you cannot sustain long term... then how are you going to keep the weight off permanently?
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I would be interested to read this tip too!
  • zainabdice
    Options
    thanks for the feedback!

I'll definitely make sure to eat enough (perhaps the odd protein shake/bar here and there for extra calories)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    At MINIMUM you should get 1200. There are times I find myself super hungry and have problems staying under, but other days I am barely hungry and have trouble reaching 1200. If the second situation is you, find high calorie foods that are good for you...almonds, natural peanut butter, fruits, etc. I hope that helps!
  • merrick7871
    Options
    I could use some tips to control my appetite and stay full! Seems like no matter what I eat, a lot of days I stay hungry!
  • zainabdice
    Options
    I think you should, yes. I've eaten less most of my life and it's slowed down my metabolism. It is now hard for me to drop any weight. Your body has daily needs. Be sure to give them to it and you'll be better off.

Best of luck.

Some people recommended cutting out refined carbs , and someone mentioned that getting adequate protein with each meal suppresses the appetite , and I found these two tips to be immediately effective. I find that I'm not craving food with the same urgency.

++++ that and more water.
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Yes please share.
  • zainabdice
    Options
    /.
  • zainabdice
    Options
    well, is this "tip you received" something you are willing to do long term. If you are doing something you cannot sustain long term... then how are you going to keep the weight off permanently?

yeah , very sustainable. It's a shame I didn't know try it when I first started losing weight. I wasn't really educated about the nutrition side of things
  • kimbim60
    kimbim60 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with sc1572 , I just bought a trail mix that has No preservatives, no added salt and no sulphites and it has raisins, pistachios, cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and dried cherries. 240 cal. for 1/3 Cup. I'm from Canada so not sure you can buy it where you live however it is called Open Nature, Rocky Mountain Trail Mix....sure you can find something like that where you live ohhhhhhhh and walnuts are really good for you too.
  • zainabdice
    Options
    thanks!

I'll add this to my grocery list.