Raw food diet

Options
So I really want to lost 20-25 lbs this month but I don't want to starve.... has anyone tried eating only fruits and vegetables at a normal caloric range and did you lose significantly more than regular food?

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables aren't regular food?
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    No not for me haha jking I meant processed food
    Fruits and vegetables aren't regular food?
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Lose 25 pounds? Um, no. ._. Don't do that.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend this. Like any other kind of deprivation diet, you will probably just gain it back after you start eating protein, carbs, etc. again.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Whoops...sorry, double post!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    20-25 lbs in ONE month?!??!?!

Seems a bit extreme.

Doesn't matter how much you lose if you can't keep it off.
    Go for 5 lbs a month over the next 5 months.

The slower you go the better you teach yourself eating habits that will help you maintain long-term.

Good Luck
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    That has the potential to actually harm you. I really personally dont care about sugar levels, but I am a firm believer in PROTEIN. I don't think there are many RAW items you can eat with that much protein in them. If you limit to only raw foods you can't get the protein in and that is NOT what you want.
  • soulofmyshoe
    soulofmyshoe Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you were eating nothing but fruits and vegetables, it would likely be hard to attain a normal caloric range, unless you are including a lot of starchy vegetables or a hell of a lot of fruit. I would be concerned about a lack of protein. If you add in nuts and maybe sprouted grains and legumes (some legumes are poisonous when sprouted, so stick to lentils, peas, and chickpeas, or do some research), then you could probably have a reasonably healthy diet for a month, but I wouldn't expect to see any greater weight loss than normal, necessarily.

You will probably see a rapid drop off near the beginning if you are not adding any salt to your food, because you will likely retain a lot less water, but this isn't permanent weight loss and will disappoint you when you gain it back later with your normal diet.

Honestly, 20-25 lbs is probably a somewhat unrealistic goal unless you are very heavy. It looks like you are nearly halfway to your goal weight, so I think you will be much better off shooting for a moderate weight loss of around 2 lbs per week. Eat right and work on cardio and strength training, and you will experience much better success than with fad diets, even if it takes a little while. You should be doing now what you know you will be able to sustain in the future.

Good luck!
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend this. Like any other kind of deprivation diet, you will probably just gain it back after you start eating protein, carbs, etc. again.

ditto!
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    I have about 12 lbs of whey - also most normal raw diets incorporate at least 35-55g protein from nuts but they're expensive. If I incorporate whey and eat normal calories wont I be fine? Im also running min 5 miles 4x a week but am bumping that up to 7 since I just ran 9.4 miles last night and it wasn't too difficult.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'm a believer in RAW! I used to put RAW eggs in my milkshakes, but because it scares the **** out of my man, I don't do it. LOL
    Raw veggies when ever possible have the best nutrients. Give them a good scrub down and they're fine.
    Are you vegetarian? I have to have meat in my life. The veggies and occasional fruits are just sides to my main sources of protein. I haven't tried RAW dairy, but am willing to try it. What can I say, I'm a daredevil.
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    I've been eating meat up to now - about half of which was really fatty and high calories so I know it's hindering me a bit. I've been eating a lot of processed carbs though the one week I lost the most, I Was eating a ton of salad instead of bread and I felt way fuller than when I was eating bread which is why Im interested in raw... did you lose a significant amount of weight?
    I'm a believer in RAW! I used to put RAW eggs in my milkshakes, but because it scares the **** out of my man, I don't do it. LOL
    Raw veggies when ever possible have the best nutrients. Give them a good scrub down and they're fine.
    Are you vegetarian? I have to have meat in my life. The veggies and occasional fruits are just sides to my main sources of protein. I haven't tried RAW dairy, but am willing to try it. What can I say, I'm a daredevil.
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i would recommend eating more vegetarian food. dont forget the protein.
    Try www.vegweb.com ! good luck.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    why don't you just start to try and eat more fruits and veggies to your regular diet. If that isn't hard then you can try the raw food diet.
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    About 1/3 of my daily diet is fruits/vegetables.... am just wondering if I'll lose significantly more if I went all fruits and vegetables with whey as my protein source instead of eggs/meat.
    why don't you just start to try and eat more fruits and veggies to your regular diet. If that isn't hard then you can try the raw food diet.
  • lowellheddings
    lowellheddings Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you want to use raw eggs without the worry, you should just get pasteurized eggs. They are perfectly safe, can be found at most larger grocery stores, and can be used raw.
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I try to eat mostly raw. I am not vegan though. There are raw cheeses and cured meats. I don't do as much as I want, because I have kids and they won't eat everything I do (I end up nibbling their tasty foods).

I just kept adding more and more veggies/fruit/nuts to my diet over the past 8 yrs to get to the point I'm at now. One of the biggest reasons were some serious health concerns and I want to do everything I can to not have surgery again. Now, I crave the veggies...
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose, per say, I am trying to rid my body of the extra fat hiding my muscles while building up my muscles. Have I seen changes on my body. YES. Anytime I eat clean like this, the muffin top disappears and I appear much leaner. Just eat the white meats; Chicken, turkey, fish (tilapias, halibut). Choose the leanest cuts of red meat. Tuna is FANTASTIC! And BISON! I love buffalo burgers! Phenomenal. There's some good choices for meat and you don't' have to go nuts with so many nuts!
    I've been eating meat up to now - about half of which was really fatty and high calories so I know it's hindering me a bit. I've been eating a lot of processed carbs though the one week I lost the most, I Was eating a ton of salad instead of bread and I felt way fuller than when I was eating bread which is why Im interested in raw... did you lose a significant amount of weight?