think i am about done.

Options
I am trying to get opinions on if there is even a point to continuing .

I am finding it almost impossible to lose weight, the last i was able to drop it was on under 1000 cals (700-800 on average) and 20 carbs or less and was not that much weight. most would tell me thats not enough calories. well on 1200 cals if i stay around the 20 carbs. i cant stay about the same weight. and more cals or carbs then that i gain.
this week being a little looser , but by know means going ape**** crazy, i gained 10 pounds.

i am finding it hard to find any motivation to even bother working to loose anything if i am just going to gain it back at a rate of 10 pounds a week with the slightest deviation.

and ideas, secrets , advice will be welcomed and considered as well

Replies

• libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    no no no... please don't give up. there are many reasons why the scale has gone up this week. How long have you been trying to lose weight? Did you have a lot of sodium this week? Is it TOM for you? Are you excercising? What kind of food are you eating? Just keep going for one more day... eat healthy, go for a walk, log your food.... you can do this... it is a journey to a new lifestyle. The scale is not always going to cooperate.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Maybe try focusing on health rather than weight? Get rid of the scale and make your goals things like "Drink 8 cups of water a day this week" or "Get in at least x minutes of exercise this week." Good luck.
    -LP
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get opinions on if there is even a point to continuing .

I am finding it almost impossible to lose weight, the last i was able to drop it was on under 1000 cals (700-800 on average) and 20 carbs or less and was not that much weight. most would tell me thats not enough calories. well on 1200 cals if i stay around the 20 carbs. i cant stay about the same weight. and more cals or carbs then that i gain.
    this week being a little looser , but by know means going ape**** crazy, i gained 10 pounds.

i am finding it hard to find any motivation to even bother working to loose anything if i am just going to gain it back at a rate of 10 pounds a week with the slightest deviation.

and ideas, secrets , advice will be welcomed and considered as well

did you eat 35,000 EXTRA calories last week? if not, then you havent gained 10 pounds of fat... if your body is used to eating only 800ish cals, then it will take a while to get your metabolism back to 'normal'. sadly there are no secrets or short cuts or tips or tricks. its hard work, time and patience...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If you approach it from a health perspective, rather than strictly weight loss, I think you will take some pressure off yourself. I don't know if you have been exercising, but the combination of exercise and watching calories WILL help you lose and, more importantly, you will be healthier.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Think about why you want to do this.
  • JennyJacobsen
    JennyJacobsen Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I saw your calorie intake How about exercise? Do U drink enough water during the day? That does help. I also found out today we are suppose to eat back or exercise calories. U sound very discouraged:grumble: so I hope U keep to it. :wink:
  • kegonzales
    Options
    Stay positive! Have you visited a doctor to make sure you thyroid, iron, and other blood related items are okay? With regards to your 1000 cal diet, I am not a nutritionist/dietitian/personal trainer but I think it might be too low. You have to look at how many cals your body needs to function on a daily basis your Basil Metabolic Rate I think its called. Ten pounds in one week sounds more like water weight. I am not exactly sure what to tell you but keep following MFP suggested plan, try to be more active, and stay positive.
  • bethany_22
    bethany_22 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You can't just give up. You need to find people that support you and talk to them every day. Tell them how you are feeling and they will help you through it.

You should stick to 1200 calories BUT you need to exercise a lot. You won't lose much weight if you just focus on calories. Try eating more fruits and veggies. Drink lots of WATER! Water is a key factor in losing weight. Most diet plans that you buy won't guarantee results unless you drink AT LEAST 8 glasses of water a day.

Drinking a ton of water, eating the right foods, eating about every 3 hours or so, and exercise will help you on your own. However, having support is another major thing you need. Find people who are willing to help you through this.

You can add me if you would like. I am always here to support people (:
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Are you combining exercise with dieting? Maybe it would help to have a personal trainer help you get on the right track if you are having trouble doing it on your own. A single day of success can be the catalyst to motivate you to continue making progress for the long-term.
  • tag0829
    tag0829 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    By no means am I am an expert. I struggle everyday. But I want I have learned excerise is the key. I was walking 4-5 days a week when the weather was good for 45minutes - 1 1/2 hours, this made huge difference. And you are right you are not getting enough calories. As drink lots of water. You can do this!!!!!!!
  • Navmachine
    Options
    i would strongly suggest going to see a nutritionist about your weight loss issues, as it seems to me like the issue you are having with losing weight is not something anyone here over the internet would be able to decipher, given our lack of professional education and information about your medical history.

what i WILL say, is DONT GIVE UP! this is a problem that can be fixed, and you can get rid of the weight. i have read several stories like yours, and with the help of a doctor or other licensed fitness professional,they have been able to over come their bodie's "stubborness" and got them on the right plan.

also, how is your workout routine?
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Don't quit - that's not going to help. This plan works for a heck of a lot of people, so let us help you determine where you're going wrong and get you on track. Open up your Diary and let us have a look - if you want help, that is. Also, I know many choose to use the ticker for "____ lbs to go" - personally I think that can be negative and overwhelming. Why not use the one that shows progress? Just a thought. I hope you decide to stick it out and figure it out. Best of luck to you...:flowerforyou:
  • Fitgirlrocks
    Fitgirlrocks Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear your frustration. I was in the same place a few years ago, being frustrated about the effort I was putting in that was not producing results. What I found out was that I was consuming a lot of foods that are considered healthy, but that I am actually allergic to. Not allergic as in anaphylactic shock, but an IgG reaction - meaning less severe, but longer term reaction. There were several symptoms that I was experiencing including severe fatigue, mood swings, joint pain, and depression. Perhaps you should look into have a food allergy panel done to find out if you are sensitive to any foods. Once I found out, I was able to change what I was eating and at that point I started to see results from my efforts. It's not always about will power. Your body is a complex biochemically based "machine". Finding a doctor that understands food allergy panels can sometimes feel challenging. I would be happy to give you more information on my experience. Message me if interested. Please don't give up on yourself.
  • erinrose07
    Options
    you're not losing weight because you're not eating enough. You should eat no less than 1500 and no more that 1800
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm not a expert, I don't always eat "clean", heck I don't know what eating "clean" means and if I did doubt I'd do it. What I can say is patience is the key. We didn't get heavy overnight so of course losing it is a long, hard process. I hope that you don't give up. Take it one step at a time, one day at a time. Don't focus on the scale, focus on eating better and adding a little exercise to your daily routine. Eventually you will hit your goals, chin up!
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is HARD. Myself, I have been here for a year and a half and have really stalled out since the beginning of summer. Yesterday I discovered that I am down a total of 3 pounds since July, if that isn't discouraging, I don't know what is:) But, where would I be today if I had given up? Probably right back where I started. Lately I have been concentrating on getting healthier and fitter. I have taken up running, something I was never able to do before. I am working on cleaning up my diet even more and not worrying so much about the scale. As we get healthier, the weight loss will follow naturally. Please do not give up, it's not worth it:)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    you're not losing weight because you're not eating enough. You should eat no less than 1500 and no more that 1800

This is also an excellent point. I just increased my calories and have started to lose weight again.
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    up until the last couple months i was exercising alot 6 days a week , often twice a day. lately its has slacked off due to life reasons,
    and the last 3 weeks i have been able to due much , has a nasty cold to start it that moved into a nasty sinus infection to the extent of getting dizzy if i moved to fast. on antibiotics now, and seems to be getting better, (actually better than its been in quite a long time even before the cold hmmm..)

and though back when i was doing the extreme exercising , was doing insanity, plus weights a few days a week, and zumba once a week. i did not lose very much weight even then, 5 pounds that whole 3 months (did month1 twice, as i did not feel ready for month 2 after the first time) BUT i will say i did FEEL better.

And when i eat what seems to be the most proper for me even when not losing i feel much better, so maybe i should still 'diet' but lock up the scale and just try to feel better? even if i dont lose any more i may feel better I( and my blood work got better during that time)

i have seen the doctor, showed her everything i was doing with no results, her comment was i should be able to lose no problem doing that. She has order another thyroid test, though it was fine 6 months ago, and said if that was normal she doesnt know what to tell me.
    and said at that point she would recomend a medically supervise diet clinic. as they might be able to figure something out , unfortunately finacial that is not possible for me
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You many not be measuring your food accurately, Or you may not be eating the right things. OR you might not be eating enough believe it or not. Someone who is 100 lbs over weight should NOT be eating less than 1,000 calories. You may have lost some weight initially but you have hit a plateau because your body has gone into starvation mode: meaning your body is storing fat rather than being optimized to lose. I would aim for 1,500 - 1,800 calories a day.
    If you want to be absolutely sure you can check your BMR here:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    Then pull out your calulator and times your BMR by:
    If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

After you times your BMR by your activity level, then subtract 500 (to lose 1lb/week) or 1000 calories (to lose 2lb/week)
    Also, you might want to consider eating more lean protein to help you stay satisfied. Try stocking your fridge with Fat-free greek yogurt and fat free cottage cheese along with some granola (only .5 cup per serving) and apples
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    How meticulous and honest are you being with your portions? Sometimes I pour what I estimate is a cup of cereal and then transfer it into a measuring cup to check my "eyeballing abilities"--often I have grossly overestimated or grossly underestimated what a cup looks like, even though I've been measuring for years. Just a thought....
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    How meticulous and honest are you being with your portions? Sometimes I pour what I estimate is a cup of cereal and then transfer it into a measuring cup to check my "eyeballing abilities"--often I have grossly overestimated or grossly underestimated what a cup looks like, even though I've been measuring for years. Just a thought....

i am pretty good at estimating , when i go back and measure i am mostly right on, and when estimating i alway add a bit when logging just in case. i do not currently have a food scale but will measure that which can be done by cups