Body Image Help

Okay, I don't know what it is, you can call me "normal". I weigh 122 pounds, I'm 5'5, but all my fat kind of likes to be at this one spot: My midsection. I can't wear jeans often because it just looks bad. I'm stuck at a plateau, but no one at home understands me, they all say I'm "skinny", but I know I'm not. I don't think I'm overweight or anything, but have some extra fat in that problem area, it's mainly those handles at the side and right around the lower stomach. I'm okay with my arms looking the way they do, my upper stomach is pretty toned, I can see a line going straight down as well as abs but that stops as the problem area begins, it's hard to find outfits that work because I'm a small up top, but a medium at the bottom. People say to do crunches, but meh, I feel it will only bloat my stomach. I have a little ways to go (like 5-10 pounds), but I'm not sure what to do.

Anyways, thank you for your time reading this, and I'm pretty sure there are others going through it, if you've been through it but got out of the plateau and have advice, I'm so open! :smile:

Replies

• arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    I'm the same way. Even when I was in tip-top shape when I was a swimmer, I still had belly fat at 5'4 128lbs (lots of muscle). For some women it's a problem area that never goes away fully. My mom had to get a tummy tuck =/

But as for self esteem, I have worked on that a lot over the last year. I'm nowhere near where I want to be, and I'm still a little chubby. But I write on my bathroom mirror in dry-erase. I write "happy thoughts". And every time I look into the mirror, I repeat what I've written. Sounds silly. But it has helped me feel more confident with myself =]
  • Bump.

Although I know for sure that in this situation you can't just hope to spot reduce my doing a million crunches, it won't work. I know you have to do more strength training in order to tone up, and a good amount of cardio will help too.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    I understand where you are coming from! I am 5'3" and 114 but still have some stubborn fat around the midsection. I have read it is the last place to leave!! Since I am the weight I want to be I am trying to do more strength training to see if that helps!
  • The best way to make the mid sections dissappear is a no sugar healthy eating diet!!! Sugar especially heads and stores right to your mid section....you can do hundreds of sit ups a day if your not eating right it aint gonna go away!!best of luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Crunches definitely won't help. They will only cause the rectus abdominus (the top layer of muscle) to bulk up. You need to focus on exercises that will work your transverse abdominal muscles. They are the deepest layer of muscle and are responsible for holding in your organs. Tightening these muscles will give your stomach a flatter appearance. You an do a Google search for exercises (they're mainly targeted at postpartum women) or you can do Pilates.

Also, if this is the only area that seems to have excess fat you can spot reduce. When your body has very little body fat to burn it will burn either muscle or fat depending on which is closer to the area of your body that needs the fuel. So, if you spend a lot of time on your abs your body will burn that belly fat first. You also need to make sure you're eating close to your maintenance amount of calories so that your body will continue to burn the fat that you do have.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Honestly, at that weight, I can't imagine you have a whole lot of fat to lose. I'm sure you can lose some, but not much.

I think strength training would definitely be the way to go. It will make you less soft and firm some things up a bit.

Don't try to spot reduce. Just try to build up some muscle in general on your arms and legs and see what happens.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Try adding Tae Bo Insane Abs to your routine. You will see a difference after a while. You can find the workout at Walmart ($9.99), Target, etc.

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/billy-blanks-tae-bo-insane-abs-5939