Alcohol

Options
I'll spare you the long version of the story, but in a nutshell, I feel like my alcohol consumption has gotten dangerously close to out-of-control. So many empty calories, so many bad decisions. Enough is enough.

I poured out all of the alcohol in my home today, and you can't buy alcohol on Sunday's in this state, but I'm already feeling the mental effects of withdraw. Does anyone have and advice or suggestions for the road ahead? I have to admit that I'm pretty uneasy about this.

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Maybe find an AA meeting to attend? I think that might be the best course of action right now. I wish you the best!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat right now. Haven't drank since Monday. Rough as hell at first but then you start feeling better & whatnot, then it's not so bad. Just gotta stick it out.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Have you considered an AA meeting? I'm not saying you're an alcoholic, but if you're feeling uneasy without having alcohol in the house -- it may be time for some professional help.

You've taken the first step. If you've been drinking a lot, for awhile - expect some sleepless nights, some cold/hot sweats, and even some nasty headaches.

Good Luck to you!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Exercise, drink lots of water and find something to occupy your mind so you don't focus on not drinking.
  • radcow
    radcow Posts: 23
    Options
    I hear you. My husband and I drink almost everyday, and it realy worries me. Ive decided to try not drinking just for 30 days, and im suprised by how much of a crutch it is. lets do it together....just for today ;)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    pouring them down the sink isn't the solution. if you want to drink, you will find a way. you need to learn how to control your alcohol consumption, limit it to 1-2 drinks a day, and be able to enjoy yourself.

that being said, if you really think you have a problem with alcohol, you need to attend some counsling or AA. their is no one mold that one can fit in and said to be an alcoholic, but if you are having problems controlling your actions, and can't focus without alcohol, well, you might need help.
  • JennyJacobsen
    JennyJacobsen Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Good for U getting rid of it. I have had the same problems but now with wanting to lose weight I noticed now that I don't drink like I used to 6-10 drinks a night. I have been losing weight steadily. So far 20 off only 20 more to go. I was using alcohol as a pain reliever, I have spinal stenosis (the narrowing of the canal for the nerves) but now that I have pain relievers I don't have to drink. I hope U can get through this o.k.
  • chevysarah
    Options
    Exercise, drink lots of water and find something to occupy your mind so you don't focus on not drinking.

I agree with this! I have been in your shoes and I know the feeling... but the less you think about it the easier things will get. So just focus on other things and get your life back. I know as soon as I go for a walk or jump on the elliptical then I dont want to drink anymore because I feel healthier just by working out. Good luck!

p.s. you can add me if you want :flowerforyou:
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Find an accountability partner ... or two. Also, if you don't figure out your addition to alcohol, most likely you'll find another replacement for it - food, exercise, gambling, etc. You need to figure out the root of the behavior if you're really serious about conquering it. I'd suggest counseling.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

Yes ^^ this. As previously stated joining a support group is a great idea. Whether or not you feel that you are an alcoholic, having friends that are trying to cut drinking out of their lives can be really beneficial to you meeting your goal. Best of luck.
  • AmbiguousUserName
    Options
    Don't try to go cold turkey all alone. Beyond the empty calories and health effects of heavy alcohol consumption, if you have to pour out all of your booze to keep yourself from drinking for one single day, you have a problem. It sounds like you've already acknowledged that you need to make a change. Now go get the help you need. An AA meeting is a good place to start. Also, any hospital or your primary care physician can point you in the right direction. In addition, your employer may have a completely anonymous employee assistance program that can help you choose the best course of action. Good luck to you.
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    Maybe find an AA meeting to attend? I think that might be the best course of action right now. I wish you the best!
    I agree. All the best.
  • Clare_F
    Options
    Well done on you for taking that first big step ! and a very brave move. I use to drink most days and have not cut right back and have only had a couple of glasses of wine in the last month ! its not an easy thing to do when you drink all the time but you will feel better for it given time and you will notice the difference when you hop on the scales ! taking away all those empty calories makes such a difference ! good luck over the next few days as it may not be easy but the longer you stick it our for the better you will feel and each day you can be proud of your achievement :)
  • marielleseastrom
    Options
    Try Kudzu; it's a vitamin supplement that the Chinese have been using for a long time to curb alcohol cravings. It also helps to support the liver. Whole Foods even carries it now.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    The first week is the hardest! Take it from a 6-7 day-a-week drinker, now sober for 66 days. It'll be fine. When you think you NEED a drink the absolute MOST, go exercise.
  • jmuhnie
    jmuhnie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Be careful going cold turkey alone. If you have been drinking a fair amount each day for a long time withdrawal can be dangerous. You should seek medical supervision if you are having shakes, palpitations, increased blood pressure, increased heart rate or any other strange symptoms. Alcohol withdrawal can be more dangerous than other drugs that are considered illegal. It is why drunk tanks in police stations have been greatly reduced and more drunk people end up in emergency departments so that the police don't have people dieing in jail cells.
  • ecalonge
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm about 5" 1 and in a two year period gained about 55 lbs!! I just didnt care anymore and wasnt paying attention to how much I ate or drank. I was trying to self medicate. One day looked at a picture of myself and realized how much weight I had gained and was devastated. For a long time now, I "tried" to do better but I really didnt work on it. Recently I found this site and now I'm dedicated to losing the weight, taking care of myself and drinking less. I've had several slip ups, but it's really been great having others to help support and motivate.

Alcohol is still the thorn in my side though. Sometimes I'll skip dinner so I can have a drink or two - I know it's not healthy. Seems like the more I eat healthy, the more I want to drink (guess I feel selfish and dont want to give it all up at once). But I have definitely cut back.

In addition to cutting back, we need to figure out whether it may be/or might become an "issue" for us (ie, disposition to alcoholism) or if we are just doing it cause we're bored or need a crutch (and I'm sure there are many others who can relate to this). I'm still trying to figure this out myself. If it's just for recreation we can come here and get the support we need from our awesome MFP friends and address it. Otherwise, it'll take a more formal approach such as (previously mentioned) going to AA.

Love and Luck to you.