Parents with overweight children

Options

Replies

• emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    OH also make sure she's not eating too LITTLE. She'll be needing something in the 1800-2000 a day range.

I can assure you eating too little is not an issue lol. Perhaps she has inherited my crappily slow metabolism.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Not sure if people saw my second post in this thread but yes I do largely provide healthy snacks not junk, and yes we already walk and less often swim together. She does play netball in winter which is over now here, but does not want to play a summer sport. Her weight has been an issue since well before puberty.

Yes, I was responding to the suggestion of keeping sweets etc as a 'treat'.
  • edith_t
    edith_t Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    as someone who was overweight at that age, i remember being acutely embarassed and sensitive about it and reacting badly to my family trying (even subtly) to get me more active or eat less. i think the more of an 'issue' it was the less i was willing to do anything about it and the more food became a comfort. even if you're not saying it directly to her she is no doubt picking up on your concern. i worry, as this happened to me, that this might make her feel like a failure, and if she is a comfort/emotional eater, will turn even more so to food. teenage girls start to get very self conscious around that age, so if i were you i would try and just leave her to it for a bit. a lot of girls lose weight as they go through/finish puberty, and if she doesn't then she will be a bit older and more mature to handle it.

this is just my opinion based on what i went through. if you are showing her a healthy lifestyle through example then she will turn out good in the end.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing with teenage girls is balance. You don't want them to struggle and feel self contious, but you don't want them to have an eating disorder either. 13 it a hard age. You have all the physical and hormonal changes. You have high school and peer pressure. All that stress doesn't help anyone lose wieght. ( think about how hard it is for us to lose wieght when we are stressed.) A teenager doesn't have the same stress adults do, but to them it feels the same.

If she is already eating healthy and you are working on portions, find a physical activity that she can do on her own. Maybe she could take a walk after school with a friend, or you can go for a walk with her when the younger kids don't have to go. That way you can get some one on one time with her. It's not uncommon for one child to be shaped completely different from everyone else in the family. It makes them feel more awkward. I would try to make sure she learns to love herself as she is instead of trying to conform. Just because someone isn't a string bean, doesn't mean they are healthy. We want to promote health to her, not the number on the scale.

Best wishes.

P.S. I do have a 17 year old, that is 5'2' and weighs about 135lbs. The hardest thing to do is to keep the soda and chocolate away from them while they are at school, but; still keeping it in moderation it important. Don't make her feel like she needs to hide what she is eating from you. Food is the worst battle to have with a child at any age. You will NEVER win.
  • ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    When I was around that age, I had to walk to and from school (3km each way). That 70 minutes of walking daily made me drop about 30 pounds (180 to 150) no matter how many pizza pockets my friends and I split on the way to school or cookies I ate when I got home.
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My oldest is 13 and while not fat, is bordering on that. I am very very careful to not discuss weight etc, as I recall as a child having people close to me obsess over weight and it did me no favours.

I am trying to subtley help her by exercising as a family, eating healthily and being generally more active, but she is my one (of four) who tends to emotional eating and is also the most sedentary of my children.

Anyone else have a child whose weight is or is becoming an issue? She is self-conscious about her weight - she is tall for her age (probably about 5'2") and currently weighs 143lbs.(I only know this because they all apparently jumped on their grandparents scales the other day!)

bump
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Yep when I was about that age I was swimming training 3 mornings a week from 5.30 to 7am then coming home and biking to school which was on the top of the hill! She does walk to school every day but it's only about 1.5km away.
  • auntie_missy
    auntie_missy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think you need to talk to her - not obsess about it, not bring it up constantly, but talk like you would about any other health or safety issue. You wouldn't try to be subtle if you knew she was smoking, would you? Young children need to be sheltered from information that is too mature for them. Teenagers need to be armed with information and made comfortable with talking with their parents about anything or they will get their information from their peers and the media and believe it to be true. At 143 pounds and 5'2", a 13 year old girl has a BMI of 26.2 and in the 94th percentile for her age and height, which makes her overweight edging on obese. She knows her weight is an issue - I certainly did at that age, and I wish I'd had someone to talk to who could have helped me actually make changes in my life. Instead I was told that I was big boned, perfect the way I was, and I should just cut the junk food, which made me feel like crap and want more junk food. I was told that a lot of women in our family have weight problems and it's normal - an idea which stuck in my head for years and made me think that I couldn't change things even if I tried, so why bother? The things you and she need to talk about are the fact that as a young teenager, she does not need to diet, but she does need to be aware of what she is eating, how much exercise and activity she is getting, and how much screen time she gets because those things work together to shape you. Because you are here, I'm guessing you are focusing on health as well, so you could decide that it is something the two of you can learn about together - watch documentaries like Super Size Me and discuss; read books on healthy eating or mindful eating (which gets into why and how we eat, not just what we eat); visit a nutritionist; take a cooking class that focuses on healthy eating together, etc. Make a New Years Resolution to try a new fruit or vegetable each week, or to replace white bread/rice/pasta with whole wheat, or to try to prepare one new healthy recipe a week and vote as a family about whether you liked it. Look at whether you can cut sodium or fat in other things you buy. Think about joining the Y as a family, or taking a class together like Zumba or yoga. If she isn't comfortable playing a team sport or doing an organized activity, maybe she needs something she can do in the home, like an exercise video, fitness games for the Wii or XBox, a mini trampoline, etc. Little changes can make a big difference.
  • Chelseazavala
    Options
    My oldest is 13 and while not fat, is bordering on that. I am very very careful to not discuss weight etc, as I recall as a child having people close to me obsess over weight and it did me no favours.

I am trying to subtley help her by exercising as a family, eating healthily and being generally more active, but she is my one (of four) who tends to emotional eating and is also the most sedentary of my children.

Anyone else have a child whose weight is or is becoming an issue? She is self-conscious about her weight - she is tall for her age (probably about 5'2") and currently weighs 143lbs.(I only know this because they all apparently jumped on their grandparents scales the other day!)
    I bet she'd love gymnastics :]
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options

First of all, you're doing a good job by not discussing her weight with her. I also think you're on the right path by doing family exercise and providing her with healthy meals and snacks to eat. I used to work with a woman who had a daughter that at about 11 or 12 years old started having a lot of stomach problems and often not being able to eat (and throwing up a lot). They did all sorts of medical tests to see why this was happening to her, and it turned out to be a psychological issue and she was doing it herself. She would throw up after anything emotional happened (fights with parents, etc) and refused to eat much of anything. This kid got down to 80 lbs (she was about 5'2) and was hospitalized many times due to her weight. They finally got her into therapy to work on issues, and got her on an antidepressant. She started to thrive! She gained weight back, she was doing well in school again, she wasn't have ANY issue with not eating or throwing up, and she was happy! A couple months later, my co-worker comes in and starts complaining about how she wants to take her daughter off this wonderful medication because she was gaining weight and she didn't want her to "get fat". This kid was still probably classified as underweight at this point, or borderline healthy, and I remember thinking "Ah, so there's the stem of her issues".

I'm not suggesting that this will happen with you daughter, I'm just saying that everyone should be very careful about what they say to a preteen or teenage girl. They're already dealing with society and media telling them that only thin is beautiful and they really don't need it coming from their own parents as well. Again, you are doing GOOD with providing healthy meals and snacks, and FAMILY activity times. I agree with other members that said to have some 1 on 1 time. Ask her to go for a walk with you or have other fun mother-daughter times with her (is she your only daughter?) maybe taking a zumba class together for fun or something like that. Make it fun!! Along with increasing activity levels for both of you, you'll get the benefit of spending more time with your daughter, which is an all around win :)
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My children have always been naturally thin and healthy eaters, but my 18 yo started working full time this year and picking up unhealthy eating habits from co-workers. She has seen me working out, preparing meals carefully, etc. and has asked me to prep healthy meals for her to take to work, help her come up with an eating/exercise plan, etc. I think leading by example is so important, as well as finding some activity for her to increase her calorie burn and fitness level.

I also fully cleaned out my pantry and fridge when I started my weight loss program. I removed all the junk and processed foods from my pantry, freezer, fridge - we didn't have a lot but we did have some and I threw it in the trash. I now cook en masse once or twice a month and freeze portions that we can take to work or school with us... it makes it easier to grab a healthy, pre-portioned meal and heat it up. This week I made 2 different soups, veggie patties, beans, brown rice, rice pilaf and vegan whole wheat mini pizzas for the freezer and then hummus and cut veggies for an easy snack in the fridge.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    You know... it really depends on the personality of your daughter.

I was an over-weight teen. Subtile hints eroded my self-confidence. I would have been better off with a frank, direct talk. I still prefer direct honesty :) I tend to pick up on emotion and notice certain subtile actions/behaviors without actually knowing what is causing those emotions/behaviors and I almost always assume the worst. So something like "mom is concerned about me" becomes "mom is disappointed in me, she hates me, she loves the other children more" (k... I"m exaggerating for effect, although I DID often think that about my father/mother when I was a teen).

If I know what's wrong, then I know what's wrong. Knowledge = power, even if that knowledge makes me sad.

So if you think your teen can handle it, you might try a conversation like this:

"Honey, I love you and I'm concerned about your health and happiness. You are overweight and I've noticed that seems to bother you. Would you like me to help you become a healthy weight?"

If your daughter says "yes" then you go on. You say something like "I think exercise is probably the best way to deal with extra weight. Even if you don't lose the weight, you'll feel better about yourself and have more energy. What kind of exercises do you like? Would you like me to enroll you in dance, gymnastics, swimming, martial arts.... (the list goes on depending on her interests)?'

If she says "no" and gets upset, then you say "Okay, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. I love you no matter what. Your weight isn't who you are. You're a wonderful person no matter what size you are. But if you ever change your mind, I'm here. I will do my best to support you with any challenges you face, whether its weight loss or something else".

And then you leave it be.

My parents never did anything like that, but I wish they had. My older sister DID do exactly that and I honestly got pretty mad at her, but later I really appreciated what she was trying to do.

Anyway... just some thoughts. You know your child best, so only you know whether she could handle something like that.

Best wishes!
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Thanks everyone. One on one time with my kids is extremely difficult as I work fulltime, am a single parent, and I do not have family here, so babysitting costs me a lot. And this may sound awful but the one time a week they are at my ex's parents I am pretty protective of as that's my only two hours to myself I get all week. Will give all the suggestions more thought. We have started a zumba Dvd at home a few weeks ago.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I know you dont want to talk too much about weight around the children and I do understand why
    but could you not talk to her
    as her if you can talk to her in confidence as you need her help and support to become fitter - dont mention weight but maybe talk about toning etc - even if you tell little fibs and say you should have done it after having the other two and just didnt have the time - and now its difficult - fi you get her onside with YOUR fitness it will help her too
    she can come for walks with you and maybe keep charts of your daily steps etc that way she will be joining in and it wont be for her it will be for you - and she will get the health benefits along side
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing everything right. People like to assume that parents have absolute control, but I think this is one of those situations where it may not be the case. What I mean by that is you are doing everything you can, encouraging activity, making healthy meals, showing good portion control, providing healthy snacks AND most importantly setting a good example. Sometimes there's stuff you just can't control, like her metabolism. I don't know if talking to her about it is a great idea. It's a tricky path. I think that maybe for now teaching her the way you are, subtly, is the way to get her into her teen years and young adulthood with the tools for health.
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Maybe get her into a dance class? I struggled with weight as a kid, and like you my mom never had junk food in the house, but I would manage to eat it at school. I did athletics in middle school but hated it, so would fake injuries lol..yep I was that kid.

Finally my mom put me back into my old dance studio and BAM, I did anything to get healthy so I could look and feel and dance my heart out.

I love my hip-hop classes, she would't have to wear a leotard and tights, and it is such a fun way to get into shape without even realzing it. However I do recomend a ballet class, it really tones the muscles, but if she is anything like me, you couldn't have paid me enough to take ballet at 13.

Usually YMCA, or other kid friendly after school programs have pretty inexpensive cheer or dance lessons, as I know studios can be expensive.

-meghan
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i have four children as well -- all girls. our oldest is 14, then next 13. neither of them are overweight (5'4" 120ish lbs). i did see an increase in weight at the onset of puberty, but it's since leveled off. i think from this point on (and likely where your daughter is at) it's about snacking, peers (what their peers do eating-wise), what's available in the house, boredom (big one), emotions, and activity level. once they hit puberty, physically it's about calorie/energy balance (like the rest of us). they will just burn at a higher rate because they are younger.

i have a hard time getting our 13 year old interested in being physical. she would rather sit around on her iPod or laptop chatting with friends. i pretty much 'make' her get out with us. if she doesn't enjoy it, too bad. she knows (!!) i am all about her and the rest of the family being healthy. i am really annoying to her, but it doesn't bother me in the least bit!

sounds like you are doing a great job of being a good role model for her. just keep at it...and if need be, insist she be active with the family or on her own.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I serve the dinners and make sure content and portions are healthy. To be honest I think I am doing all I can already re their health and wellbeing.

Then what sort of advice do you want? I'd say the suggestions on trying to get her active are good ideas, but if she doesn't like sports, there's not much that can really change that... maybe just keep trying her out with different sorts of activities (martial arts, dance, anything!!) and see if something sticks...

personally, I hated sports at that age, but loved tap and swing dancing. So maybe she'll discover something she really likes. :)
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    just to add, that your younger children could go on long walks, my daughter did a 27 miles cross country and all terrain charity walk at 7 years old, it won't do any of them any harm.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm going a different route with my pre-teen boy...getting him an hrm, and for each minute in the target zone he will get a minute of xbox.