Gimme your best "smart *kitten* come back line"

Options

Replies

• Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember where I picked this one up. I actually think I read it on here somewhere in the last week or so and it pretty much says it all.

"Bless your heart Darling. Do you realize you said that outloud? You must be so embarrassed. Let's just both pretend you didn't say that."

Love this!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I'd just smile and say "thanks for your vote of confidence. That helps a lot."

^ yes. or something along the lines of "i'm sure i'll have no problems now, considering i have so much support and encouragement from the likes of you…"
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    How about:
    Why Thank You for the compliment! I got rid of all the fat in my body. Now it's time for you to get rid of the fat in your head!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    Great reply!!!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    Great answer.
  • gods_gal
    gods_gal Posts: 305
    Options
    I wish I could remember where I picked this one up. I actually think I read it on here somewhere in the last week or so and it pretty much says it all.

"Bless your heart Darling. Do you realize you said that outloud? You must be so embarrassed. Let's just both pretend you didn't say that."

Love this one!! I think a good comeback would be just to look at them without saying anything. Purposeful awkward pause! LOL!! Congrats on your weight loss and figuring out the emotional eating part. You really look amazing!!
  • ckoudsi617
    Options
    If they say, "How many times have you done this? You know you're just going to put it all back on again, just like last time and the time before" (yes, this has happened, and people have said things like this) , I just say something like, "Yeah, you're probably right. We'll see...", or "You're only defeated when you stop trying, or when you never bother at all. Tell you what -- How 'bout you check back with me in about six months, okay? Thanks." By (sort of) agreeing with them, they are entirely defused and have nothing more to say. (By the way, I have kept off an average at least 50 lbs. since Winter, 2009; so there!) You'll show THEM!
  • ckoudsi617
    Options
    This is not my first time to lose a large amount of weight. A few years ago I lost the same amount I have now and was even part of a feature article in Prevention Magazine. I didn't keep it off long, some severe life stress came my way and I started emotional eating. I have changed that part of my life, changed the emotional eating. I have even lost this weight during the passing of my mother and if I can avoid emotional eating during this, I've got it handled. So here's what gives now. I am constantly hearing things like this. "You look fabulous....can you keep it off this time." Or 'you look amazing....don't gain it back this time." And this one last night. "You look wonderful and you're such an inspiration to others....do you think you've beaten it time." So many times I am caught off guard by these dumb *kitten* remarks that I just answer them nicely instead of saying something that will shock them back and make them thing before they speak again. So go ahead, give me your best come back line so I can put it in my memory bank because I know I'll hear it again.
    scan0014.jpg
    CindyNov11.jpg
    You look AWESOME, by the way! Congratulations!
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options

LOL!! I love this one!
  • ecalonge
    Options

LOL!! I love this one!

This one definitely has my vote too!
    Unfortunately people who say stuff like that dont "get it" anyway but it would sure make me feel better using it LMAO!

BTW, YES YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!!
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options

I shared this when the lady got treated rudely at DD. Glad you remembered it.

Yes and I thank you for it. I do apologize for not remembering where I picked it up though.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

This is probably the most fabulous comeback of all time!

Must remember this one!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Jealousy is the #1 reason people will make these comments, because they don't have the willpower to go through what we go through, to make the changes that we make.
    What a very cynical view. I personally believe that thoughtlessness is the #1 reason people make comments like that.

Maybe it was a genuine question, and not meant to be unkind at all? To be fair, you DID put it all back on last time, maybe people who care about you are asking whether you think that will happen again? Tactless maybe, but not necessarily unkind. In which case a smart *kitten* come back line would be a bit mean.

Far better to post your smart comebacks lines on here, have a good laugh about them, and then choose not to actually say them.

What I'd defnitely think (but not say of course) would be "Wow you've got a real case of open mouth and insert foot, haven't you!"
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Jealousy is the #1 reason people will make these comments, because they don't have the willpower to go through what we go through, to make the changes that we make.
    What a very cynical view. I personally believe that thoughtlessness is the #1 reason people make comments like that.

Maybe it was a genuine question, and not meant to be unkind at all? To be fair, you DID put it all back on last time, maybe people who care about you are asking whether you think that will happen again? Tactless maybe, but not necessarily unkind. In which case a smart *kitten* come back line would be a bit mean.

Far better to post your smart comebacks lines on here, have a good laugh about them, and then choose not to actually say them.

What I'd defnitely think (but not say of course) would be "Wow you've got a real case of open mouth and insert foot, haven't you!"
    Yep.

race card: politics :: jealousy card : weight loss
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Yes I DID but that doesn't justify the comment. If was mean I would have shot a smart *kitten* reply to them by now. I do want to say something next time that would make them think. I always shrug it off and don't want to shrug it off anymore.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I do want to say something next time that would make them think.
    What exactly do you want them to think?

Apart from the obvious, which is that you look absolutely amazing now!

Are you sure it's worth alienating someone you know, just because they're said something without thinking about whether it might hurt your feelings? Are you sure that in the everyday world (not the protected atmosphere of friends on here) that it really is an unkind thing for them to say? Are you absolutely sure that they're not just hitting a sensitive point with you?

Your reply might hurt them as much as they've hurt you, which is a merry go round that I personally prefer not to get onto.
    Your mileage might vary.
  • nonabella43
    Options
    you look gr8 and thats what matters people just don't think before they talk good luck, i trying my best and i hope to feel good , i have not been this wieght for 44 years so it feels so good , wish i did years ago , my top weight was 475 now iam 266 took me a long time A.LMOST 10 YEArs of ups and downs in life, but this program is gr8 .
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    "Thanks for the compliment, let me know when you want some pointers" :bigsmile:

bwaa haa haa ^^ this sounds like something I would say, but be careful to whom you say it, it could push the wrong button (anger, depression, etc). but oooo i will keep THIS one in my memory bank!! :)
  • melissa421969
    Options
    i feel your pain .. ive been up and down all my life. and ive run across people who are the type to compliment you and then back it up with an insult. i think they were probably raised by parents who did the same thing to them or either a best friend who does it to them etc. and they just think its normal to act like that. the best thing to do in that situation is to change the mood. from awkward for you to funny for them.

my suggestion "come back" if someone were to say to me " hey you look great!! you gonna be able to keep it off this time?" i would smile and say, " well, lets HOPE so, then lower your voice and lean into them and say .."but i gotta be honest with you, ive got the "fat girl" in me strapped down and sedated right now and she could wake up out of a coma ANYTIME and rip my pantry apart like a pack of wolves! it aint pretty... last time i smelled cheeseburger on somebodys breath, she woke up and i had to ninja karate kick her right between the eyes and taze her to knock her back out ..
    ya know what.. pray for me cause i have a feeling im gonna need it. btw. do you smell chocolate? sorry that was her... >:) ignore that comment :) .. she ALWAYS comes out when i talk about her. shes like beetlejuice -say her name three times and she shows up. idk... and then just laugh and say ok well. im gonna be going .. take care :)

keep it light be the happy person you know you are now and then THEY will laugh. the mood will be lifted for you. you will have walked off the better person and will have informed them that its obvious, we all are fighting SOME type of battle .. its not how many times you get knocked down its how many times you get back up.. take care and god bless !!
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Whenever someone asks me an inappropriate question, I always defer to the Ann Landers' "why would you ask that" response!