question for runners

Options
2»

Replies

• katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I breathe in and out through my nose AND my mouth (known as the 'dead fish' look :tongue: ) and practice belly breathing. http://www.marathonguide.com/training/coachmindy/everybreath.cfm

For your first race, I would focus on getting the distance down before you start working on speed. If you need to go slower, so be it.

Couch to 5k is an excellent program!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You should definitely be breathing out of your mouth because your body needs the oxygen to push you forward. Also make sure you are breathing from your stomach and not your chest. It feels stupid and is hard at first, but it definitely keeps you going longer. Breathing out of your nose is better for less intensive exercises to help boost metabolism. I'm training as well, and I'm going by distance and seeing how much time it takes me to get there at a moderate pace. Hope this helps :)

Im sorry but this is totally false info! ive been a runner for 9 years and just finished a 4:03 marathon.. You should be breathing in your nose, out your mouth. And correct me if im wrong here but your lungs, those silly little things used for breathing, are in your chest.. Not your stomach. Try to focus on distance, the speed will come later!

Why is it totally false?
    I assume the writer was talking about using the diaphram, which is close to the stomach and is more effective than just using your chest, but I could be wrong.
    But what is wrong about not breathing in through your nose only?
  • Fitnthin101
    Fitnthin101 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on speed at all . I was a beginner running starting in May and I started to run with an experienced runner. i realized the reason why I couldn't even run a mile without feeling like I was about to die was because I was starting off way to fast. Just start off with a nice slow job. Think of just scuffing your feet along the treadmill or pavement. Also if you have a heart rate monitor that would be a great tool as well because if you see your heart rate is about the range of say 85% you know you need to slow things down. When you set the right pace for yourself you will def. be able to run a few miles!! Good luck!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Diaphragmatic breathing,or belly breathing makes your breath deeper with more volume of air and is recommended when you have side stitches. Yes your lungs are in your chest but your diaphragm inflates them by pulling down into your belly.

I'm the only person in the MFP world who didn't like the C25K program. For me Adidas' micoach on the web and on my phone works better and is totally free.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You should definitely be breathing out of your mouth because your body needs the oxygen to push you forward. Also make sure you are breathing from your stomach and not your chest. It feels stupid and is hard at first, but it definitely keeps you going longer. Breathing out of your nose is better for less intensive exercises to help boost metabolism. I'm training as well, and I'm going by distance and seeing how much time it takes me to get there at a moderate pace. Hope this helps :)

Im sorry but this is totally false info! ive been a runner for 9 years and just finished a 4:03 marathon.. You should be breathing in your nose, out your mouth. And correct me if im wrong here but your lungs, those silly little things used for breathing, are in your chest.. Not your stomach. Try to focus on distance, the speed will come later!

It is not false. Belly breathing is called such because you can focus your breath lower into your abdomen. Obviously no one is saying your silly little lungs are in your stomach. And there are plenty of reputable running sources that advise against breathing through you nose exclusively.

Here's another article in addition to the one I posted earlier.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12989-F,00.html
  • lalalaleah
    Options
    Oh really? Your lungs are in your chest? Cool story bro. Read this, educate yourself: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12989-0,00.html

That method may work for you, but you may be unknowingly wasting energy even if it does help you finish a marathon.

^Notice how I used words like "may" to suggest that your method might also be efficient and correct rather than just calling you wrong which you rudely did to me.
  • lalalaleah
    Options

It is not false. Belly breathing is called such because you can focus your breath lower into your abdomen. Obviously no one is saying your silly little lungs are in your stomach. And there are plenty of reputable running sources that advise against breathing through you nose exclusively.

Here's another article in addition to the one I posted earlier.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12989-F,00.html

Thank you! I just replied with the same article to prove my point.