loosing weight is not enough

Options
I wanted to provide a place for people to talk about thier motivations and other things they have discovered while on the path to being healthier.

So I guess I'll start. I have been in counceling for a while for a number of reasons the most prominant being that I didn't care very much about myself or my own needs. Everyone (my husband, family and students at work) were more important and worth more effort than taking care of me. Needless to say this lead to a lot of negative things in my life such a weight gain and depression. After a little while I started to love myself in the ways that I could, very small managable things like havinga cup of tea and drinking it all the while telling myself that this cup of tea and five minets were dedicated to loving me. Later I progressed to baths and personal quiet time. Today I took an hour walk at our local botanical gardens because I wanted to.

There came a day when I had learned to love myself enough that I knew this treating my body like it was expendalbe had to stop. I didn't really know how to beging at first so I went with things I was drawn to and started to learn about yoga. The oppertunity preseneted itself to by a stationary bike from a friend so I did. Now I have hand wieghts too. But I know that I would never have been successful with the weight if I hadn't addressed the issues that were feeding it. I'm not saything that everyone needs counceling but I think everyone needs to be honest with themselves about what is behind the weight. JOurnal about it and trust that you are stronge enough to dela wit the things that arise.

Now I love working out not only is is "me" time but I also love that I'm being good to myself. I can't wait to see how I continue to change. I have more confidence now, occasinally wear something sexy and don't mock my dreams be they small or large. learning to love myself has been the hardest most worth while thing I have ever done. I hope that you will share stories of how changing thins in your life has changed your life with me and others so that we can help each other stay the corse.

Replies

• manda1111
    manda1111 Posts: 113
    Options
    I wanted to provide a place for people to talk about thier motivations and other things they have discovered while on the path to being healthier.

So I guess I'll start. I have been in counceling for a while for a number of reasons the most prominant being that I didn't care very much about myself or my own needs. Everyone (my husband, family and students at work) were more important and worth more effort than taking care of me. Needless to say this lead to a lot of negative things in my life such a weight gain and depression. After a little while I started to love myself in the ways that I could, very small managable things like havinga cup of tea and drinking it all the while telling myself that this cup of tea and five minets were dedicated to loving me. Later I progressed to baths and personal quiet time. Today I took an hour walk at our local botanical gardens because I wanted to.

There came a day when I had learned to love myself enough that I knew this treating my body like it was expendalbe had to stop. I didn't really know how to beging at first so I went with things I was drawn to and started to learn about yoga. The oppertunity preseneted itself to by a stationary bike from a friend so I did. Now I have hand wieghts too. But I know that I would never have been successful with the weight if I hadn't addressed the issues that were feeding it. I'm not saything that everyone needs counceling but I think everyone needs to be honest with themselves about what is behind the weight. JOurnal about it and trust that you are stronge enough to dela wit the things that arise.

Now I love working out not only is is "me" time but I also love that I'm being good to myself. I can't wait to see how I continue to change. I have more confidence now, occasinally wear something sexy and don't mock my dreams be they small or large. learning to love myself has been the hardest most worth while thing I have ever done. I hope that you will share stories of how changing thins in your life has changed your life with me and others so that we can help each other stay the corse.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. If you are not happy fat you will not be happy thin. No amount of weight loss can make you love yourself or have true joy.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    My lesson was similar, after having kids and doing all for them I forgot about me. It took too many years but now I take my me time and I got the hubby and kids to go to the gym with me. My youngest is 11 and he can't wait to turn 12 so he can go to body pump with us :laugh:
  • chelseachick
    Options
    thanks for sharing what was beneath the skin. counselling is an excellent way to help deal with stuff. when we stop looking after ourselves there is always a reason behind it. sometime it just takes us a very long time to figure out what it is! for me it was that i was worth it.
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Its always important to understand the reasons why we let ourselves get out of control in the first place. The fact that you have that realization on yourside will not only help you lose weight but you have a much better shot at keeping it off. For me eating was always a stress thing. Anytime I got aggrivated with work or anything else I would eat to feel better. It was a sick reward system that I can trace back to when I was a kid. I understand that now and I have found working out to be my new outlet. Whenever I am stressed or annoyed I take it out on the treadmill, or ellipcital or I throw some weights around. MUCH better way to get it out of my system. Congrats on having your mind in the right place. It will definately help you succeed.

:drinker: