think i am about done.

Options
13»

Replies

• Bubblez79
    Options
    Please don't give up and stay positive! I may be new to this site but since the end of July i have been working on this Journey.. I would have my up and down weeks. Felt like giving up several times. And now i am glad i haven't and i am still trucking along. The people on this site seem to be very encouraging and supportive..
    I wish you the best and i'm am sure you will find the strenth to continue.
    Dana
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options

To OP:
    Most that I can say is, Don't stress! Stress makes losing weight about 10 times worse.

heh umm I'm screwed
  • FatassFairy
    Options
    my cals are now set at 1590, though not sure i can get there, i have trouble getting that much when eating healthy
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    my cals are now set at 1590, though not sure i can get there, i have trouble getting that much when eating healthy

Choose calorie dense foods.. IE Nuts, lean meats, greek yogurt... stuff like that.

All of those can pack a punch to calories.. a handful of almonds is 160 calories, greek yogurt is also 160.. lean meats, I'm not too sure, but you can look that up :)
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    A good source for dense calories (at least from my perspective) is Kashi's Go Lean Crunch. It's something like 190 calories in a cup, plus a good amount of protein. I'm not that fond of cereal and milk (lactose intolerant) so I mix it with my yoghurt in the morning (6 oz Light and Fit). Between those two and a cup of fresh fruit, it's an easy breakfast that also provides a decent amount of protein and calories.

Peanut butter and other nut butters are also good sources of calories that are relatively good for you and add up quickly. I'm not that fond of nut butters, but a friend turned me on to half Nutella/half crunchy peanut butter on toast. I use a whole grain 40 calories/slice bread, so two pieces of crunchy toast spread with a tablespoon of each for another is about 270 calories. And I do measure the peanut butter and Nutella-a tablespoon of each is adequate between the two pieces of bread but it's not going to be somewhat thin coverage.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

How about when you're not "eating healthy"... is it a problem then?

And I was thinking you seem convinced that you're "about done", you focused on how my advice didn't fit, rather than finding a way to try and make it fit.

My advice was an alternative strategy. You say what you are doing now is not working for you. I set out some ideas, and also gave some basis for the strategy. Some of my basis was not fully on target. Forget my basis. You need to find an alternative strategy that is not ALL or NOTHING. That seems to be what you've done.

Even that statement... "i have trouble getting that much when eating healthy"... Most of us, including me, are using MFP because we were or are obese. We got obese because we abused food. You infer that sometimes you don't "eat healthy". Get away from the ALL or NOTHING approach. Find middle ground.

You want to quit, as we all have done with one diet or another, because what you're doing now is TOO RESTRICTIVE. I submit to you that reality is one of the reasons its no longer working. Your body is rebelling against your restrictions, and every fiber of your being is telling you to give up. To quit.

Choose middle ground. Ease up on the restrictive style, but keep logging. Eat some of the things you like, and most of all stay active. If you have a job that keeps you active, great. If it is standing, that's great, if you have to move a lot, stairs, heavy objects, even better. But add calories eaten, and add calories from exercise. That's my suggestion in a nutshell. Do it for a month before you decide whether or not its working. Its better than throwing in the towel.

I added approximately 200 calories to my diet every few months for a year. Every time, I lost weight as an outcome of increasing calories.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I can only speak to my personal experience here. I am about the same age as you (41) and have about 75 pounds total to lose. I've lost 23 so far in about 2 months. I eat 1400 calories on non-exercise days. I eat all or almost all of my exercise calories back. I'm kind of at a standstill right now because I'm recuperating from gallbladder surgery, but the minute the doctor gives me the all-clear, I'll be back at it.

You have to find a way to make this work for you. Giving up won't help and will likely hurt due to gaining the weight back. You just have to remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. You'll hit plateaus, but there are good suggestions here for breaking through plateaus.

Several people have given you good suggestions. You should at least give them a try. What do you have to lose? The worst that can happen is you gain a little back, but that's going to happen anyway if you give up. Just give it a shot and see what happens. It seems like you're kind of throwing back all kinds of reasons (excuses?) why you can't do this or that; maybe you should just try some of the suggestions before you give up.

Good luck!
  • FatassFairy
    Options

And I was thinking you seem convinced that you're "about done", you focused on how my advice didn't fit, rather than finding a way to try and make it fit.

My advice was an alternative strategy. You say what you are doing now is not working for you. I set out some ideas, and also gave some basis for the strategy. Some of my basis was not fully on target. Forget my basis. You need to find an alternative strategy that is not ALL or NOTHING. That seems to be what you've done.

Even that statement... "i have trouble getting that much when eating healthy"... Most of us, including me, are using MFP because we were or are obese. We got obese because we abused food. You infer that sometimes you don't "eat healthy". Get away from the ALL or NOTHING approach. Find middle ground.

I added approximately 200 calories to my diet every few months for a year. Every time, I lost weight as an outcome of increasing calories.

well its a pretty obvious fact that unhealthy foods tend to be higher in calories (and bad stuff) by volume then good food, just the way it is.
    i did not say your advice was bad, i said your post was logical, and if you notice i did up my calories. and plan to get a food scale when i have a few extra bucks. i do have a hrm polar fsomething7. now if i can remember where i shoved the chest strap.

i just said your basic assesment of my lifestyle was off a bit, and honestly i wish i could be as simple as some of the little things you mentioned in that point like getting up more at work and such. but those are not things i can change as they already are. and honestly as far as changing movement (i do do more at work ,somewhat by choice i do almost all the physcal work and my co worker sits on her lazy fat *kitten* , it is fatter than mine honest) and i have change snacking types. those both were some time ago and yes they helped a bit back then.
    that is why so frustrated when not going through moments of throwing in the towel (and finding myself in tacobell) i do things pretty well . the only suggestion of peoples i have been reluctent to take is the increase, i am trying it out of desperation , at this point i dont thing i can have a overly negative outcome as my outcome the last several months not good anyway.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

well its a pretty obvious fact that unhealthy foods tend to be higher in calories (and bad stuff) by volume then good food, just the way it is.
    i did not say your advice was bad, i said your post was logical, and if you notice i did up my calories. and plan to get a food scale when i have a few extra bucks. i do have a hrm polar fsomething7. now if i can remember where i shoved the chest strap.

i just said your basic assesment of my lifestyle was off a bit, and honestly i wish i could be as simple as some of the little things you mentioned in that point like getting up more at work and such. but those are not things i can change as they already are. and honestly as far as changing movement (i do do more at work ,somewhat by choice i do almost all the physcal work and my co worker sits on her lazy fat *kitten* , it is fatter than mine honest) and i have change snacking types. those both were some time ago and yes they helped a bit back then.
    that is why so frustrated when not going through moments of throwing in the towel (and finding myself in tacobell) i do things pretty well . the only suggestion of peoples i have been reluctent to take is the increase, i am trying it out of desperation , at this point i dont thing i can have a overly negative outcome as my outcome the last several months not good anyway.

So find middle ground. I go to Taco Bell all the time. But I get 2 chicken fresco soft tacos instead of super supreme killer gordita meal monstrosity. Instead of going to McDonald's all the time, I go to subway. You need to do something you can sustain forever.

Go to my profile page, I have a link in the first paragraph about me. It is the best advice I could ever give you. Read the advice.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Have you gone to a doctor? Your inability to lose may be related to an undetected health condition. If you have hypothyroidism, it may be difficult to lose weight if it is left untreated.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    You have to log your food.

Log your food.

Keep track of what you eat.

Eat enough. Figure out your needs realistically. It sounds like you should be at 1500-1800 a day with your job and your exercise. Try that for a month.

Log your food. You don't have to have a food scale. There are many websites that give you size comparisons on food portions.

You are looking everywhere except where you need to look. This site works. Logging food works. You have to eat ENOUGH.
  • FatassFairy
    Options

So find middle ground. I go to Taco Bell all the time. But I get 2 chicken fresco soft tacos instead of super supreme killer gordita meal monstrosity. Instead of going to McDonald's all the time, I go to subway. You need to do something you can sustain forever.

Go to my profile page, I have a link in the first paragraph about me. It is the best advice I could ever give you. Read the advice.

oh i got to taco bell with full intent to get that, but somehow, i can't understand it , a true mystery, when i drive away there is a crunch wrap suppreme where the frescos should be. i have learned to jsut stay away, and make my own mex food, more control.
  • FatassFairy
    Options
    Have you gone to a doctor? Your inability to lose may be related to an undetected health condition. If you have hypothyroidism, it may be difficult to lose weight if it is left untreated.

got the orders for blood work , just got to make it to the lab, hmm maybe tomorrow after work.