Do you burn more calories walking in heels?

Options
Do you burn more calories walking in heels?

Replies

• Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Since I tend to walk more slowly in heels, for myself I'd guess no.
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    I suppose it'd all depend on how you walked. If you're wearing really high heels (and can walk properly in them), then it'd work out different muscles than if you wore flats or sneakers. However, due to how high heels works, you're likely walking slower and more deliberatly, even if you're not thinking about it, rather than the natural rocking back and forth of the foot when you're in flats or sneakers. I doubt it burns more or less calories, but it will likely hurt your foot if you try to do track in them!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No.

But if you walk fast in heels you will burn more.
  • angieisslim4ever
    Options
    i cant live without my heels :D
  • No, you don't burn more calories. BUT, you do workout the muscles in your calves in a much more complex way, so its great for toning! It also helps better your balance.

I'm an exercise science major and we learn about all kinds of tips and tricks like this in my physio class! Message/add me with any other questions you may have :-)
  • angelapolite
    Options
    I usually wear 4.5 wedge heels, and my legs feel alittle sore after a long day of walking. I work in downtown Chicago, so I usually get in about 2 miles of walking a day.
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    I burn more calories when you wear heels to walk. I have to keep staring and try to not be caught, which is hard work, which equals calorie burn for me! LOL
  • Vermilla
    Options
    No, you don't burn more calories. BUT, you do workout the muscles in your calves in a much more complex way, so its great for toning! It also helps better your balance.

I'm an exercise science major and we learn about all kinds of tips and tricks like this in my physio class! Message/add me with any other questions you may have :-)

I didn't know there WAS such a thing as an exercise science major!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    No, you don't burn more calories. BUT, you do workout the muscles in your calves in a much more complex way, so its great for toning! It also helps better your balance.

Huh, that explains why my calves are so big! I wear heels, even for walking the dogs, and I walk really fast in them. I wish I could wear sneakers and flats more often-- heels wear down SO quickly-- but I don't find them confortable at all.
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    Aww, downtown Chicago, I love that city, my birthplace. You are so lucky to work there!
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    I certainly burn more calories when *most* women walk in heels! ; )

*some women just have not mastered the skill yet.
  • Pronoiac
    Options

Huh, that explains why my calves are so big! I wear heels, even for walking the dogs, and I walk really fast in them. I find sneakers and flats really uncomfortable.

^^^This is very common for women who wear heels frequently and something to be considered if body sculpting is a priority.
  • Pronoiac
    Options
    I burn more calories when you wear heels to walk. I have to keep staring and try to not be caught, which is hard work, which equals calorie burn for me! LOL

Hahahahahahah!
  • hellotina
    hellotina Posts: 147 Member
    Options

LOL
  • angelapolite
    Options
    Aww, downtown Chicago, I love that city, my birthplace. You are so lucky to work there!

Yeah, Chicago is my hometown as well. I love it here too!!
  • Vermilla
    Options
    I certainly burn more calories when *most* women walk in heels! ; )

*some women just have not mastered the skill yet.

Some women aren't fit for heels. Then there's those of use who usually live in them. Even my winter boots have heels. I can even run or hike in heels, but people always say I'm going to break an ankle. Only my gym shoes aren't heels. You can actually feel the difference in muscle soreness/workout when walking in heels vs flats over a period of time.
  • No, you don't burn more calories. BUT, you do workout the muscles in your calves in a much more complex way, so its great for toning! It also helps better your balance.

I didn't know there WAS such a thing as an exercise science major!

Not alot of schools offer it, but it def does exsist! I go to University of Delaware. I plan on going to grad school there or in Philly for a doctorate in physical therapy. :-)
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    No, you don't. Just like you don't burn more calories when it's hot out. Certainly seems like you should be burning more because it's miserable. You do, however, get good juju for being fashionable.

Ladies, please don't brag about only being comfortable in heels. The position is unnatural and can contribute to numerous physical ailments from the soles of your feet to the top of your neck. It's fine if you look and feel great in heels, but not fine -- not normal at all -- if you basically "can't" comfortably wear flat shoes. Unhealthy body alignment and self-image isn't something we should promote here.
  • oftheearth
    oftheearth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This is an assumption, but I'd guess that any body sculpting or calorie burning benefits to wearing heels wouldn't be worth it compared to the long-term effects on your body. (That is if you wear heels quite often).