Hip problems

Options
Last year I competed in a 12km race and a 10km race, before the 12km race I had only been running for about 2-3 weeks. At the beginning of november I signed up to mfp to lose weight and im started to train for the same races next year and get better times. I've been out today and ran 10km and beat the time I did in the race by 6 minutes which I'm happy with but after the first 3km I started getting a pain in my hip and by the end I was in a lot of pain. I'm not at home right now and won't be for a couple days so I cant go get it checked out by my doctor so i was wondering if anyone on here would have any advice for me or know why my hip is hurting. It also hurts sometimes when im exercising on my Lateral thigh trainer of stationary bike at home but never as much as its been hurting today.

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I would have it checked out as soon as you can.

I had pain in my right hip last fall and continued to push myself running. I figured you "push through the pain" right? Wrong. I ended up with a fatigue stress fracture in my hip. It started out with bursitis and since I am stubborn and wouldn't take time off from running - I managed to push it right into the stress fracture. I was told had I taken a couple weeks off from running/the gym when the pain started - I could have saved myself a lot of hassle.

Intense pain is the body's way of telling you something isn't right. Listen to your body. I would skip running until it has been looked at. My stress fracture is "healed" but I still have some pain in that hip and likely always will according to the doctors I've seen. :(
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Is it your hip muscle or joint? I get intense pain in my hip joints after jogging/walking for a long time. I Googled it - and it is inflammation of the joint and is common in runners/walkers. I take ibuprofen to help the pain.
  • vixinyo
    Options
    Thank you very much! I would have continued working out until i got home and i wouldnt have got it seen to straight away when i got home. I'll make sure i get it checked as soon as i get home and lay off the exercise until then :) Thanks again for the adivce.
  • vixinyo
    Options
    Is it your hip muscle or joint? I get intense pain in my hip joints after jogging/walking for a long time. I Googled it - and it is inflammation of the joint and is common in runners/walkers. I take ibuprofen to help the pain.

It feels like its in the joint.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you get a sharp pain in your hip and the problem is in your lower back. alot of times the pain shoots from your hip down your leg even.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have psoriatic arthritis which is primarily in my back, sacroiliac joints and hips. Aleve or ibuprofen will help if the joint is inflamed. I'm with the other posters... If you exercise with an inflamed joint you can do major damage and end up with problems down the road. When mine is inflamed the rhuematologist says absolutely no exercise (not even walking). The only thing they say is ok is swimming and they advise not to push my range of motion while swimming.

Hopefully it's nothing major but take it easy until you get it checked! =)
  • chatdude
    Options
    wow nice running. I would go to a doc, although they probably wont tell you anything but "take a break from moderate-heavy exercise for a couple of weeks" lol
  • vixinyo
    Options
    I have an appointment for the doctor tomorrow when I get home, I know for a fact he is going to tell me to stop the running for a while. Is there any exercises anyone can suggest that wont hurt my hip. I have an exercise bike and a lateral thigh train and I think they are totally out the question as well as running of course.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have an appointment for the doctor tomorrow when I get home, I know for a fact he is going to tell me to stop the running for a while. Is there any exercises anyone can suggest that wont hurt my hip. I have an exercise bike and a lateral thigh train and I think they are totally out the question as well as running of course.

I went to the orthopedist since my leg and knee were bothering me/ He did several X rays and said it was my hip. It is bone on bone. Since I am on blood thinners I cannot take anything. He suggested biking, swimming and the elliptical. It has helped, but I am not getting my heart rate up to 120 and losing so slowly. Hope this helps.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have bursitis right on the sit-bones due to "running through the pain" and sitting for 12 years. ick.

the orthopedist sent me to PT and after six weeks of careful, gentle, regular stretching, rest from any sort of activity that would overly strain the hamstrings or blah blah blah, icing, ibuprofen and tylenol, getting a standing workstation - ok it's been more like 8 weeks - it's better. What I'm saying, I guess, is that a good physical therapist will show you lots of ways you can move and encourage healing - but I suspect rest, and being super-aware of what irritates your hips, is going to be a lot of it. Takes a ton of work - more than exercising, actually, and a ton of committment, but you do what you gotta do, right?

Good luck and I hope your doctor's appointment has some positive results.

as far as exercising goes, i started using the wii fit plus which was the only thing that didn't irritate, then moved up to Nike Training Club with LOTS of modifications to avoid putting weight on the joint (I couldn't even do squats for a long time and I still to be careful). But you'll need to talk to your doc or physical therapist, who will do an extensive evaluation of your range of movement and what hurts, and should be able to give you a more precise diagnosis and be able to make recommendations for exercise from there. Patience is the hardest part, I thought.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with a bad hip a few years ago - and I found out two things that have helped me get it back to almost normal. One was Vitamin D supplements (most of us are deficient in this) - apparently, a deficiency results in soft bones around the pelvic region which presents as pain. It might be worth testing your blood to see if you are deficient too. The other were a bunch of yoga stretches, meant to strengthen the muscles of the upper thigh and lower back.