sticky work situation - your opinion, please...

Options
chanstriste13
chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
okay. i am a certified teacher looking for a position, and i have been for over 2 years now. in the meantime, i have been nannying for a *great* family since may of 2009. i feel totally grateful and blessed to have this amazing family keep me on and make it worth my while. but, of course, i'm about to spew out a few complaints, so let me get on with it...

i have been paid for thanksgiving holiday the past two years. so i kind of expected to have that again, partly because that's how it's been, and partly because my employer told me she would. the kids were out the day before thanksgiving, so i worked a full day. when i got my check, those 9 hours of work weren't in my check - she paid me as if i only worked 2.5 hours like a normal school day. i basically feel as if i was shorted 6.5 hours of work.

the mom told me that she would pay for thanksgiving holdiay whether i worked or not, and i said i would like to work for the extra hours. she said this would be fine. but then she didn't pay me for the extra hours i worked.

is this making sense?

i left her a note asking about it, and she has not responded. i don't know if i should press the issue or not. my mom is always telling me how i need to create a contract, and i've always told her it's not necessary, and now, of course, it's biting me in the a$s. yes, i know, mom always *does* know best! :heart: :blushing: :grumble:

anyways, i'm pretty sure it isn't a money issue with them because they both already make bank and the mom just got a big promotion. i don't want to be petty, but i also don't want to start a new trend of not being paid for hours worked. anyone been here? what would you do?

Replies

• horror_hamster
    Options
    it was probably just an oversight during the otherwise (i'm sure) hectic holiday. If she doesnt respond to your note, meet with her in person and ask about it.

most likely, however, it was an accident and she'll make it right.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    politely approach her and explain it like you did to us. be straightforward and pleasant. it's proven that it's harder for people to avoid you and/or say no to you in person. good luck!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Don't be passive/aggressive on this. Confront her, tactfully, of course. Remind her that she has paid you for that time for previous years and that you worked the entire day and not just the 2.5 hours that she paid you for.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    You have so many issues working for this family! I think I'd start looking for another job.

Regarding your question, though, definitely ask her about it in person.
  • rsullivan
    rsullivan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Give her time. If you addressed the situation then at least you have already opened the door to the conversation. If the hours are not on the next check then again address the situation. Its nice that they offer to pay you for the holiday if you dont work, but you DID work. She may have had other stuff on her brain.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    money is money.. im sure she'll answer.
  • healthy_KT
    healthy_KT Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Press the issue but be professional and polite about it. It would be different if she said she would pay you whether or not you worked the hours and then you didn't work the extra hours but you did. She owes you the money. No matter how nice the family is to you it is still first and foremost a business situation. You need to be paid for your services. It is possible that is is just a human error and she wrote the check without the extra hours because that's what she does every week. She may not realize that there was a mistake.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Personally I would just act like she made a mistake and approach it that way. If she said she would pay you and she always has before then I would say it is a mistake. So if she hasn't responded, with as much innocent concern as you can muster up say, Hey I guess you didn't get my message but I think you accidently forgot to pay me for that time you said you would. I just wanted to let you know because Holidays are coming up and I already had plans for that holiday pay.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If you worked the 6.5 hours then you should be paid, I do not think there should be any question about that, and maybe it was just an oversight on her part. You may need to gently remind her of this.
  • J_Lopez
    Options
    As a professional you have the right to speak to your employer directly. It you don't speak up, they will try getting over on you in the future. I suggest you speak to the family about it.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    i have been paid for thanksgiving holiday the past two years. so i kind of expected to have that again, partly because that's how it's been, and partly because my employer told me she would. the kids were out the day before thanksgiving, so i worked a full day. when i got my check, those 9 hours of work weren't in my check - she paid me as if i only worked 2.5 hours like a normal school day. i basically feel as if i was shorted 6.5 hours of work.

. . .

what would you do?

I'm not sure I have this straight. You typically work 2.5 hours/day after school watching these kids? The family has previously paid you for Thanksgiving (2.5 hours?) even though you did not work it? But this year, you watched the kids 9 hours last Wednesday, and only got paid for the usual 2.5 hours?

If I have that all straight, and assuming you are paid an hourly rate, then in your shoes, I would politely, but firmly ask to be paid for all 9 hours you worked on Wednesday.

If you were looking to be paid for Thursday even though you didn't work Thursday (based on previous years and informal conversation without a written contract), my opinion would be different, but I agree with your mom that you should get a written contract either way.

Good luck.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    You definitely should be paid for that.

Edit: I also think you need a written contract, WITH a witness signature, not just yours and hers.
  • Iwillbemeagain
    Options
    I would just ask her maybe she just forgot...
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    You have so many issues working for this family! I think I'd start looking for another job.

Regarding your question, though, definitely ask her about it in person.

i guess you have seen the slew of anti-nannying posts i've shared! i do b1tch a lot, but a big part of that is just my nature. :devil: :blushing:

they *really* are a great family to work with and i wouldn't trade them for anything - except a teaching job, of course. i have worked with some doozies before, and this family is the golden ticket. for the most part.
  • MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    just my thoughts....

Yes you should be paid for a full day for the day before thanksgiving. If she had a daycare center she'd pay for a whole day having a nanny isn't any different. And if you worked extra hours you should be paid ad well. If you asked for the hours and she didn't want to pay you, then she shouldn't have had you work any extra hours.

And yes, you should have a contract. Maybe you could get one together for the start of next year. And it can be as easy as just explaining that you don't want to have any questions about getting paid or time off ect. next year. This way you all can have a good working relationship without any resentments.

Good Luck!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I was a nanny many years ago, and learned the hard way that verbal agreements aren't a good idea. People forget that what they said, and even generous people have their stingy days. For the hours you didn't get paid for but worked, I would definiely press the issue. And follow your mom's advice and get it all in writing as a contract.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    i guess you have seen the slew of anti-nannying posts i've shared! i do b1tch a lot, but a big part of that is just my nature. :devil: :blushing:

they *really* are a great family to work with and i wouldn't trade them for anything - except a teaching job, of course. i have worked with some doozies before, and this family is the golden ticket. for the most part.

Well, then I'd give her the benefit of the doubt that it was just an oversight, but talk to her in person about it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If it's only been a short time since you left the note and you haven't spoken to her since, I would first just wait and see what happens the next time you talk -- and mention it if she doesn't. It's possible it was an oversight and she'll correct it once she's aware.
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    thank you for all of your responses - sometimes i really feel like i'm getting paid to do nothing because i love the kids so much, so when situations like this come up (few and far between) i always wonder if i should just count my blessings and forget about it or make a polite and good-natured stink.

i think i will broach the subject of a contract starting january 1.

edited for a typo.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I would tell her. It may be a harmless oversight.

This is totally unrelated, but I remember about 10 years ago, i needed a buck for a vending machine and I turned to a co-worker and asked if I could borrow a buck. He said, "I wouldn't mind, but you never paid me back the buck you borrowed from me a couple months ago."

I felt like hell and he felt like he couldn't bring it up. He felt I had taken advantage of him. I didn't even remember borrowing a buck from him.

If you're friends with this person, bring it up. It could be a simple misunderstanding or oversight. You're owed the money.