sticky work situation - your opinion, please...

Options
2»

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You have so many issues working for this family! I think I'd start looking for another job.

Regarding your question, though, definitely ask her about it in person.

how does a single paycheck error lead you to conclude "so many issues"?
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    You have so many issues working for this family! I think I'd start looking for another job.

The OP has posted topics about issues with this family before. She understood that and already replied to me.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options

trust me - macpatti knows her stuff - she's seen a lot of my vomiting up of nannying/lost coats/homework/days off/helicopter-parent type posts on here - she's not being snarky - she just has an excellent memory! :flowerforyou:
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Personally I would just act like she made a mistake and approach it that way. If she said she would pay you and she always has before then I would say it is a mistake. So if she hasn't responded, with as much innocent concern as you can muster up say, Hey I guess you didn't get my message but I think you accidently forgot to pay me for that time you said you would.

^^ This. I've been in the same predicament that you're in, with a piano student, and handled it just this way. I got my money and no one got their feathers ruffled. This may all be moot -- she'll probably respond that it was a mistake.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,010 Member
    Options
    Never be afraid to ask for the money you have earned. You are a valuable asset to this family since a great nanny is just as much a golden ticket as a great nannying job. The problem with such jobs is the informality and face-to-face aspect. You can't just call someone you don't know at Human Resources to complain. Speak up, but be professional and polite.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    trust me - macpatti knows her stuff - she's seen a lot of my vomiting up of nannying/lost coats/homework/days off/helicopter-parent type posts on here - she's not being snarky - she just has an excellent memory! :flowerforyou:

I actually thought of you this weekend when "we" finsihed "our" science fair projects!
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yes, have a quick chat with the mom face-to-face... Then definitely (later on) bring up the idea of a written agreement of sorts for 2012. Just explain it is to protect you and her...
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm sure she really appreciates all you do. It's most likely an oversight. I missed how you notified her about it-by voicemail or handwritten note? Possible she didn't get it? I would try again to speak with her. If it were me, I'd be mortified and embarrassed I accidentally shorted my nanny and would fix it right away.
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great advice here. I agree with them all pretty much. You've left a note, if she doesn't respond, ask nicely in person. She probably just forgot. That said, I would ask about the contract January 1, too, IF you think they'll go for it. Some people are touchy and if you really like the job and need the paycheck, you might not want to rock the boat. Especially if she pays you for the hours with no problem.
  • Freshstart07
    Freshstart07 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Right is right and wrong is wrong if she said that she would pay you for the holiday then she owes you for the holiday. What did you say in the note? Was it a nuge or statement of fact. If it was a nuge you might want to write another note explaining that you were counting on her paying you as you had originally agreed. If it was a statement of fact you need to tell her face to face. Just my opinion I have the tendency to let things go which will like you mother alluded to only bit you in the &** .