Need HRM Advice for Triathletes QUICK!!!

Options
Amazon has some awesome deals on the Garmin 310Xt and Garmin 305. I really wanted the 310XT but if I can save $100 and still get the same info, I'd love that.

What would be potential problems in a tri race with:

Swim:
wearing the waterproof watch I have now for the swim, starting the time for the race with the start of the swim on that watch.

T1:
I would already have the 305 mounted on my bike. Do all my other transition stuff then look at and remember time on my initial watch, start time on Garmin 305, take off initial watch and go off on the bike.

Bike, T2, Run: All with 305, just mentally adding my total time when I need to.

Anything I'm leaving out? Any reason I should spend another $100 for the 310XT? I really don't care about pace/distance/HR while swimming, just my time. It's a 1 day sale so I need advice ASAP!

Replies

• ddoohaluk
    ddoohaluk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am a triathlete and have the 305 but will be upgrading to the 310xt or the 910xt (that is a whole other debate). The 305 has suited me fine but these are the reasons for my upgrade:

1) battery life - the 305 is really not suitable for long course triathlons unless you can go sub-9 which is about how long my 305 works with a full charge
    2) i want fast transitions and having to switch out a watch doesn't work well for this
    3) the ANT stick for data download on the 310xt is way easier than the 305. i have a ton of issues with my 305 cradle and getting it to download
    4) the HR strap on the 310 is way more comfortable than the 305.
    5) the watch is smaller

I just checked amazon an the 310xt is $289. Garmin is also offering a $50 rebate that you can find using a google search which puts it within $70 of the 305. And if you decide to go with the 310xt, I would consider purchasing from REI. With REI you will have a lifetime warranty compared to just 1 year with amazon. REI guarantees everything it sells for life, including the garmins. It is also $290 at REI.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If time is all you care about, why not buy a cheap timex? Use the lap feature to time your splits if you want. That's what I do... I have an HRM that I use for training, but go with the timex during races if I need to keep my own time.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The 310 is pretty sweet. But I'm cheap and would probably still pick the 305.

Anyway, I'm sure you've read these:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2007/11/review-of-garmin-forerunner-305.html
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/09/garmin-forerunner-310xt-in-depth-review.html

OH, here's the big thing: the 305 doesn't do power on the bike. If you plan on getting into power meters ever, buying the 305 would be a waste of money. That's the thing that keeps me on the fence (pending the price on the Brim Brothers power meter)
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Oh, and nothing is ever a 1 day sale... you just have to be patient/persistent to find the sale when it is repeated.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    If you do tri's on a regular basis, I'd go with the 310xt even though it costs more - less mess during transition and you don't have to worry about remembering to switch. Transition can make all the difference sometimes!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I didn't think the 305 was waterproof, whereas the 310XT is.
    Wireless data transfer, including with things like Tanita body comp scales, etc.
    20-hour battery life!
    I'm wanting a 310XT for Christmas. I was going to get a more basic "running only" model, but right now the 310XT is cheaper (since the 910XT came out) and it has more features so it seems like a no-brainer.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I am not a triathlete, but when I went to return my other Garmin, (per REI's AWESOME return policy) the 310xt was the one I liked the best. I love it! LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It has so much functionality and not having to worry about it because it's waterproof is so nice. I had an injury during marathon training and had to water run. I didn't have this watch then, wish I did!

Also, if you are going to buy I can't recommend REI enough. If absolutely anything goes wrong with your garmin you can take it back whenever without a receipt. (you may need to be a member, not sure)
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I didn't think the 305 was waterproof, whereas the 310XT is.
    Wireless data transfer, including with things like Tanita body comp scales, etc.
    20-hour battery life!
    I'm wanting a 310XT for Christmas. I was going to get a more basic "running only" model, but right now the 310XT is cheaper (since the 910XT came out) and it has more features so it seems like a no-brainer.

Exactly. I'm surprised no one else is shouting out this difference (waterproof) since the word "Triathletes" is in the subject of the post! :o) I have a 305, but I'm a runner. The 310XT is cool, but for the money I prefer the 305. If I were a triathlete, then of course I would spend the extra for the 310XT. To be honest, I would prolly wait for the new 910XT to become more widely available. For doing ultra marathons, the only downside for me in the 305 is battery life. If I were really fast, it wouldn't be an issue! But I'm not. The 8 hours is certainly not enough for me. That means either not using it or charging on the run.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I know the 305 isn't waterproof, hence leaving it on the bike ready to go during T1...if money was not an issue, I'd be getting the 910XT but money is an issue so I'm really leaning towards the 305 if I can make do with it. Also, I won't be doing longer than an Olympic distance tri with this, so the battery life isn't a huge bonus for me personally. I do want pace & distance on the run & bike, just not on the swim. Hope that answers some of the follow-up questions. Thanks for all of your input! Keep it coming! :flowerforyou:
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Ah, gotcha... I misunderstood.

You can probably make the 305 work, but at some point you'll get irritated with the inconvenience and inaccuracy. The question is whether or not that irritation is worth the $100 to you.

Personally, I've gone with the less expensive model just to be disappointed and wound up buying the better one more times than I can count... so in the end I wind up spending twice as much as I would have had I bought the good one in the first place. Buy once, be happy.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads-up on the price drop at REI. All else being equal, I would rather get it there for the guarantee. Also, there is currently a $50 rebate from Garmin on the 310XT so if you get it there for $289, you can make it $239 after the rebate. Smokin' deal that's hard to beat.
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I went to a 310xt from the 305 for a few main reasons:

0. battery life. this was probably the biggest factor. 8 hours wasn't enough.
    1. waterproof. I wanted it in the swim.
    2. form factor. it fits better and is more comfortable.

If you are not going up to half or full iron (yes, 8 hours is enough for a half iron as long as you turn on the garmin in transition shortly before going down to stand around on the beach for 45 minutes and get your pre-swim in and wait for your wave start) then the 305 battery should be fine.

I was a bit worried about the 305 not being waterproof given that I live in Vancouver, but even after a few years of running in the rain it was fine. So if you don't need it in the swim, this shouldn't matter.

You can get used to the 305 and the form, but it isn't as comfortable. Go try them both on and see how they feel. If you have a friend with one, go borrow it for a run.

Good luck!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of triathletes that use the 305 on HIM swims. Plastic baggy under the swim cap. Problem solved.

Hit lap out of the swim, take it out in T1 on and put it on the quick release bike mount, hit lap when leaving T1.
    Back in T2 hit lap, out of T2 hit lap and you're good for the run.

I plan on using mine through my 6 hour HIM in a couple weeks by this method.

With all that being said though, the 310 XT with the rebate and REI's sale pricing make it a complete steal right now.
    I'd spend the extra $$ right now and get it if I didn't already have a 305.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    It's a 1 day sale so I need advice ASAP!
    BatmanBomb-gif.gif
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Given the $50 rebate, I went with the 310XT otherwise it would have been the 305. Thanks for the heads up on that rebate! I ordered the Garmin 310XT with HRM and the bike mount w/ tax and free shipping from REI for $304.99 last night. When I get it, I'll send in the $50 rebate so it will be just $254.00! Thanks for all of your advice, this is why I love MFP.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Please explain to me why you wouldn't wear the watch during the swim.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Please explain to me why you wouldn't wear the watch during the swim.

Nevermind.... I see you said it wasn't water proof.... Gotcha!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Given the $50 rebate, I went with the 310XT otherwise it would have been the 305. Thanks for the heads up on that rebate! I ordered the Garmin 310XT with HRM and the bike mount w/ tax and free shipping from REI for $304.99 last night. When I get it, I'll send in the $50 rebate so it will be just $254.00! Thanks for all of your advice, this is why I love MFP.

Did you get the bike mount or the quick release?
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options

You will love it! All my buddies run with the 310XT whilst I still 'chillin with my 305! I will upgrade one day. That REI deal looks pretty sweet!
  • ddoohaluk
    ddoohaluk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    No worries on passing along the REI deal. I actually stopped in and picked up one myself on Saturday. I couldn't deal with the frustrations of my 305 any longer and I got an email telling me my preordered 910xt wouldn't ship till Feb. I'll either just keep the 310xt or I will have a sweet deal on a 310xt come Feb when the 910xt is my hands.