MFP question about calorie counting.

Options
If I eat only my daily calorie goal or less and add 30 minutes of exercise almost every day, will I lose weight with MFP?

I have lost weight so far, but I am just curious. (With the aid of phentermine. I am able to take breaks from it every so often and still lose weight and stay on track. The doctor gave this to me as a starter. My appetite is the same with or without it. But it has definitely given me that push that I desperately needed so far. Seriously, a bad birth control, Depo Provera, robbed me of all of my energy and I literally felt DEAD. I tried diet and exercise before doing this pill 'cus I was horribly terrified of any diet pills out there. But it's working with few side effects. I will get B12 shots or pills after finishing these pills. I do not want to stay on them forever by any means.) I guess I'm just really desperate and want to see if this has worked for other people here on MFP.

Thank you for answering. :)

PS - Haven't been dieting here on MFP long. I guess about two weeks. So I want to hear everyone's take on this site. It seems very nice, helpful and encouraging so far. The members here seem to be very wonderful. That does make things easier.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    You will increase your muscle mass lost most likely and increase chance of "skinnyfat" look. Can also cause you to plateau. Feed your body! No reason to starve it :]
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The technical answer is you should eat back your exercise calories to reduce muscle loss which is the driver for yiur metabolism.
  • Lizchan
    Lizchan Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I should eat my calories back? I can try to unless I'm not hungry for some reason.

I have another question. Would a workout plan (Wii Fit makes me sweat like a hog, I also walk a bit each day, use the Zumba game I have) with eating the correct amount of calories, I will lose weight for sure, right?

I am sorry for asking more. I just really want to lose weight more than anything else right now because I am sick and tired of feeling fat and ugly.

Thank you all for answering so far.
    Options
    Hunger isn't the best indication. Your body adapts and hunger pangs can stop. You still need those calories! Just pick more calorie dense foods :]

Yup if you are under your calorie goal mfp sets up for you then you will lose :] Calorie deficit works nearly every time!
    Just takes time, slow and steady is the best way to do it :]

If you restrict your calories too much and lose too much muscle mass you will damage your metabolism. Making the weight very easy to regain D:

Good luck to you!
  • Lizchan
    Options
    Hunger isn't the best indication. Your body adapts and hunger pangs can stop. You still need those calories! Just pick more calorie dense foods :]

Yup if you are under your calorie goal mfp sets up for you then you will lose :] Calorie deficit works nearly every time!
    Just takes time, slow and steady is the best way to do it :]

If you restrict your calories too much and lose too much muscle mass you will damage your metabolism. Making the weight very easy to regain D:

Good luck to you!

Thank you very much. I'll keep trying. It gets painful after eating so much. I try to eat things that aren't so great for you, but nothing absolutely horrible... I eat that kind of stuff so that I can get more calories in. Like sometimes a grilled cheese and those are not good for you at all. I like rice a whole lot, so maybe it has more calories. I could try more fried rice with soy sauce since I am able to make that. I could mix some vegetables into it and an egg.
  • shunyata13
    shunyata13 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You might want to try making some wraps with different meats in it so you are getting healty calories instead of a lot of fat calories from a grilled cheese sandwich. Watch your food summary page since it will tell you if you are too high in one area or too low in another. I like cheese but if I put it in a wrap with chicken or turkey, lettuce, 1 tbsp creamy salad dressing and some grapes or apples and my calorie count for the meal is around 347 w/cheese and 281 without and I am still full and calories to spare if I want a snack at different times during the day.
    Options
    I actually really love grilled cheese :] good source of calcium right :D

Do you like nuts and peanut butter? Or add olive oil to your foods :] It will help! Or buy whole fat products like milk and cheese.
    High fat foods are easy to get a good amount of calories in. And fat is soo good for you! Needed for various functions in your body and helps your skin/hair/nails look pretty :D
    Options
    You might want to try making some wraps with different meats in it so you are getting healty calories instead of a lot of fat calories from a grilled cheese sandwich. Watch your food summary page since it will tell you if you are too high in one area or too low in another. I like cheese but if I put it in a wrap with chicken or turkey, lettuce, 1 tbsp creamy salad dressing and some grapes or apples and my calorie count for the meal is around 347 w/cheese and 281 without and I am still full and calories to spare if I want a snack at different times during the day.

What makes cheese unhealthy exactly?
    And she is trying to get her calories in, telling her to avoid cheese and calories isn't really going to help her situation.
    Your body needs calories! :D
  • Lizchan
    Options
    I will try all of these things.
    It is also hard for me to eat because I have trouble eating if I am depressed. I have been a whole lot lately... but I still try to do my best.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    What is this? An attempt to see how many button topics one can fit into a single post?
    Exercise Calories, Diet Pills, BC, etc...... throw in a comment about muscle vs fat and you got it!
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Oils, nuts, and avocados are all very calorie dense foods. You could also try snacking, (if you currently aren't). Eat some veggies with hummus - good nutrition, plus the hummus is calorie dense. Grilled cheese is only bad if you have a cholesterol problem.

Also, when you workout, change things up. Don't always do the same routine because your body adapts, becomes more efficient and burns fewer calories.

MFP's calorie goals are designed to help you lose weight - if you stick with it, you will lose.
  • Lizchan
    Options
    Oils, nuts, and avocados are all very calorie dense foods. You could also try snacking, (if you currently aren't). Eat some veggies with hummus - good nutrition, plus the hummus is calorie dense. Grilled cheese is only bad if you have a cholesterol problem.

Also, when you workout, change things up. Don't always do the same routine because your body adapts, becomes more efficient and burns fewer calories.

MFP's calorie goals are designed to help you lose weight - if you stick with it, you will lose.

Thank you. I could try the veggies with hummus.
    My cholesterol is actually very, very good.