Cold, wet and rainy. Running alternatives?

Options
Florida is unnaturally cold, wet, and rainy this evening, so I really don't want to run in this weather. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for cardio exercises I can do in place of running-- indoors and without equipment.

Thanks =)

Replies

• LaureanoAlvarez
    Options
    Have you tried jumping rope?
  • Jedibeau
    Options
    Suck it up and go running! Unless you are made of sugar you will survive. I run in the rain and cold all winter. :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Have you tried jumping rope?

jumping rope for 8 minutes is the equivalent of running a 6 minute mile. make sure you are on a surface that absorbs some impact though.
  • themurph8910
    Options
    I run in the cold wet and rain...My first 1/2 marathon it was about 30 degrees outside and storming...so ever since then it jsut doesnt effect me. so I am of no help on what you should do.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    get some gear for that. some of my best runs are cold wet and rainy! whooh!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and go running! Unless you are made of sugar you will survive. I run in the rain and cold all winter. :)
    THAT.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    bodyrock.tv
  • angelarozmyn
    Options
    THAT.

Exactly! Once you're out in it, it really isn't so bad. But then again, I live in Seattle...so if I didn't run in the rain, I wouldn't run outside most of the fall/winter/spring...oh and summer too ;)
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    Jump rope! Or a cardio/strength training workout: www.fitnessbender.com
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Burpees are great if you don't have a jump rope
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

lol. yes...it's not acid falling from the sky. :flowerforyou:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    As long as you can stay safe (no major hail, floods, or lightning), running in the rain isn't too bad. It takes a little getting used to, and it's more fun if you have other people to run with. It really helps to have moisture-wicking gear. (you can get good stuff at Target for fairly cheap)

Outside of that...running in place? jumping jacks? I've heard from some other MFP's that Netflix and Youtube have lots of exercise videos...
  • mwoneis
    Options
    If you have cable check the "On Demand" section. They usually have some good workout shows on there with various exercises.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't run in the rain either, not because I'm afraid to melt, but because I don't want to ruin my running shoes. I paid a lot of money for good shoes, and the "wet" will ruin them and cause them not to fit correctly.

As for suggestions, do you have any fitness DVD's?
  • kimibunny
    Options
    Well I am pretty sweet..=D (Sorry, couldn't resist)!

I'll jump rope; thanks guys.
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i do "ladders". it's when you take a few exercises & do 10 of each exercise, 9 of each, 8 of each... 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 ,... then do 2 of each, 3 of each..4 5 6 7 8 9 & back up to 10 of each. they are great because you can focus in on a few body parts for strength/weights, you know exactly when you are 1/2 day done w/the workout, almost done, etc.

if you only want to do cardio, no weights... pick 4 from the following (make sure you aren't working the same body parts right after each other)

jump squats (aka squat jumps)
    burpess
    jumping lunges
    jumping jacks w/dumb bells (when you jump out, your arms go straight up above your head w/8 or 10lb dumb bells)
    lateral jumps (jump side to side, bringing knees all the way up)
    kettle bell swings (you can use a 25lb or 30lb dumb bell)

i have a few more if you are interested. if you want to create your own workout, alternate strength/weight training in between the cardio. if you do 5 or 6 exercises, you'll have a KILLER workout. I do them all the time
  • kimibunny
    Options
    i do "ladders". it's when you take a few exercises & do 10 of each exercise, 9 of each, 8 of each... 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 ,... then do 2 of each, 3 of each..4 5 6 7 8 9 & back up to 10 of each. they are great because you can focus in on a few body parts for strength/weights, you know exactly when you are 1/2 day done w/the workout, almost done, etc.

if you only want to do cardio, no weights... pick 4 from the following (make sure you aren't working the same body parts right after each other)

jump squats (aka squat jumps)
    burpess
    jumping lunges
    jumping jacks w/dumb bells (when you jump out, your arms go straight up above your head w/8 or 10lb dumb bells)
    lateral jumps (jump side to side, bringing knees all the way up)
    kettle bell swings (you can use a 25lb or 30lb dumb bell)

i have a few more if you are interested. if you want to create your own workout, alternate strength/weight training in between the cardio. if you do 5 or 6 exercises, you'll have a KILLER workout. I do them all the time

This sounds like a lot of fun. How do you go about logging these in MFP?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've run 26.2 miles in cold, windy rain 3 or 4 times now and have yet to melt...
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    This is my page 'title' thing....when you look at my profile. Someone wrote it on my facebook and I copied it to MFP

"It was perfect at 6am. BUT you will still have a great run later, running in the weather conditions makes you STRONG!"

Its my reminder that I won't melt, I will survive and I will finish my run knowing that I'm that much better for going out there in the pouring rain or falling snow :)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but something tells me the OP wasn't looking for a barrage of self-righteous posts about how lazy and unmotivated she is for not wanting to run in the rain...:huh:

I run in the rain. I don't melt.
    I also don't think that I should project my own expectations and preferences onto everyone else.

She was looking for suggestions, not judgement. The forum's full of judgement - She could just as easily use the search feature for that. Let's all try to help each other out, instead :happy:

/rant