Older and looking worse after weight loss

Options

Replies

• delta90017
    Options
    I think the answer is lose weight slower so your body hs time to adjust. Jerry didn't have time on TBL.

I'm not fully convinced though. I have seen too many examples irl of people looking a lot older after loss. Clearly the health benfits outweigh the esthetics though.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is going slowly, so I am sure I'll look older when it's all said and done because I will be older.
  • vilyli6
    vilyli6 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My husband promised me that if I put all my effort into this and lose the weight and after that I am not happy with wrinkling/sagging skin, he will do everything in his power for me to have the plastic surgery necessary to repair the damage. What more could you ask for. I feel I have a new chance at life and I am going to grab it.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    People that try to lose weight too fast on extreme diets seem to look the worst after weight loss, especially if they are older. Unless someone is extremely obese and is doing a very low calorie diet under a doctor's care, weight loss gives the best results if it is a more gradual process, and you only try to lose a pound or two a week
  • mrrad
    mrrad Posts: 46
    Options
    The old adage that after 50 women can choose their face or their *kitten* may be true but if you are dead from the affects of obesity you are not choosing either!

I think if women are very skinny then not such a great look once we are a bit older but fat is just bad so I am choosing my *kitten*!

X
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hmmm let's see: do I want to look old and fat or just old?...

Lol for what it's worth I'm in my mid 40s, lost 15kg so far and don't look older... Ok I don't look younger either but I do look and feel a lot better.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and I definitely have more visible wrinkes now I've lost weight and I think my neck looks a bit scrawny - but I'm feeling so much better that I'm prepared to ignore the wrinkles and enjoy the vitality!
  • KellyAnneH
    KellyAnneH Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... Stay fat, in pain, unable to put on my own socks or get around easily but possibly look a bit younger OR lose weight, reduce pain, be able to swim, bike, dance and generally have a much better life but risk looking a bit older. Which to choose, which to choose? You really need to ask??

Kelly-Anne (who thinks anyone worrying much about a few wrinkles needs a hobby...)
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I just turned 52 in October, this pic was taken about a week ago, I don't think I look old either!
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... Stay fat, in pain, unable to put on my own socks or get around easily but possibly look a bit younger OR lose weight, reduce pain, be able to swim, bike, dance and generally have a much better life but risk looking a bit older. Which to choose, which to choose? You really need to ask??

Kelly-Anne (who thinks anyone worrying much about a few wrinkles needs a hobby...)

^^^^^ I agree with everything she said!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Some people look worse after significant weight loss. They look older, more wrinkled, more fragile. Exercise doesn't seem to help.

Proper weight loss with protein and training should allow ample time for the skin to get used to the new you.
    Be sure you hit all macro and micronutrients.
    Hit the weights 3 times a week.

Possibly you need a small bulk till march then another cut to fill in?
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Check out The Biggest Loser's Season 11 contestants. :love:
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and in each new avatar I look younger. My skin is healthier looking and the darkness under my eyes is almost gone. I drink a ton of water, moisture the f' out of my skin, and eat as healthy as I can while still indulging just enough that I don't go lose it. :bigsmile:

That said if I noticed I'm looking older I will take it over not being able to walk without being in pain. Looking old and being active vs looking young and being housebound. Easy decision.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 42 on Thursday...

no one ever thinks I'm that age, I think attitude has a lot to do with it as well. I take a multivitamin to make sure I get my nutrients, and I'm losing slowly which I think helps. I guess we will see when the journey is over.

but either way, my attitude will not change, and i will be the same inside, just a lot healthier:) yay for healthy.
  • jenniffer324
    jenniffer324 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this with some people who I see in person. One was health reasons and the other was someone who went on an extreme diet. So I do think for some people this is definitely true.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Also, my thinner friends and family members definitely look much older then the podgier ones.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and lost 2 stone since June, I think you can see it in my neck, but I'm hoping that will fill out a bit now I'm maintaining again just for xmas. I have dropped from size 20 to 16, sometimes can even get in 14-16! .. and I am much fitter, more energy and feel better in general.

I do wish I could just get tummy to shrink more on its own without the rest of me looking any thinner though!!!.. so might have to put up with a 'little tummy', if I don't want my face to get any thinner!

I was originally aiming for 9st 3 like my Wii said I should be but I don't want to look 'ill' either if I get too thin. I would like to be under 10st when I have to get on a scale though! (more for vanity and not been embarrassed about my weight than anything else).
  • ladygh
    ladygh Posts: 31
    Options
    I may look older when I reach goal weight, but I am already feeling younger. Maybe some juverderm injections will be in order!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I feel like I look older now that I've dropped weight. But I might be crazy. I'm only 24, People assume I'm 29 ish.

i know a lot of people on this site say things to others just to to make them feel good but i honestly believe you look way closer to 24 than 29.
  • RyanEdwardParker
    Options
    It is certainly true however I believe there are 3 main factors in play that determine if a dieter has "aged" after losing weight. I'll describe them below:

1) The type of diet - Some diets especially those that severely restrict calories will often stress the body and the mind thus creating the aged look

2) The type of exercise - High impact exercise or those designed to drain the body of glycogen can create high levels of stress thus creating the aged look.

3) Time management - Trying to lose weight often takes time, be it to exercise or to cook your own meals. This extra time can sometimes be ill managed and also creates stress

Ultimately its is about stress. You can't stress your body too much without looking aged.

Cheers.

Ryan
    Zdiets.net - Lost 170lbs - Hypertension GONE! - High Cholesterol GONE! - Pre-Diabetes GONE!