bronchitis/ hard to breath after workout

Options
Has anyone else had this? I have upped my workouts... (or since I started walking/jogging) I come home from the gym and have a bronchial bark/cough, like it is too much on my lungs
(I am not a smoker, never haven been) I know I damaged my lungs years ago when I had a bronchial pneumonia and they never healed properly..

but after a workout I cough and cough, when I get home and wheeze a bit it's weird... just wondering if I am alone in this.

Replies

• symegeer
    symegeer Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It happened to me for a while and it turned out that I had bronchitis again after a previous bout of pneumonia.. I would go get it checked out, maybe ask your doctor to check on your lung capacity?
  • twocsmom
    twocsmom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Could it be asthma? My son coughs during extreme workouts and he's asthmatic, I also went through a bout like this and the doctors put me on inhalers. It's definitely something you should look into though...I say a trip back to the dr. is warranted!
  • slicksps
    Options
    Agree with the second poster. I was a smoker (which is why I gained the weight in the first place), but a web forum is no substitute for a good doctor... and the sooner the better for a speedy recovery time.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Maybe exercise induced asthma. Especially cos of the wheezing... see your doctor.
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have my doctors appointment for January 27th, the earliest I can possibly get in... since there are no doctors available around me it has to be a trip into Montreal to see him..and that is the earliest date, so I suppose I will take it a tad bit more easier... till then,

definitely a board is not a substitute for a doctor... was just curious... never had asthma before... been healthy most of my life (well cept for being overweight as a teen/adult) other than that healthy as a healthy horse lol

I will definitely look into it though
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I usually get bronchitis twice a year so I'm used to this. When I do get it there is an over the counter inhaler I use to stop the weezing and coughing. It may get you through till January!
  • khartley535
    khartley535 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma and have had it all my life. It can crop up later in life for any reason. It sounds to me like this is exactly what you have, but still requires a diagnosis with a doctor. They can prescribe an albuterol inhaler to use just before or after working out to make it easier for you.
  • pascale485
    pascale485 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I do the weezing thing also and always thought it was normal.... I will talk about that to my doctor!
    When u cough does it taste like metal or blood?
  • khartley535
    khartley535 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I usually get bronchitis twice a year so I'm used to this. When I do get it there is an over the counter inhaler I use to stop the weezing and coughing. It may get you through till January!

OTC inhalers are being phased out and discontinued due them not being properly metered. Not sure what the cutoff date is, but they will only be available by prescription soon.
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I do the weezing thing also and always thought it was normal.... I will talk about that to my doctor!
    When u cough does it taste like metal or blood?

no doesn't really taste like anything... just congested at some points... mucousy (EWE sorry tmi) but no color to it so I am sure it is not an infection... and barking/ coughing ...
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

OTC inhalers are being phased out and discontinued due them not being properly metered. Not sure what the cutoff date is, but they will only be available by prescription soon.

Yeah that's what I've heard! My doctor recommended that for me a couple of years ago! I guess I'll have to go back and get the good stuff!
  • slicksps
    Options
    End of January appointment?!? Good lord and we think we have it tough in the UK, but we can normally see a doctor within a few days.

Take it easy between now and then and good luck.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Do you not have any walk-in clinics in Gatineau??? We have them everywhere in Calgary (Alberta) but perhaps Quebec is different.

I would not wait for 2 months to see your family doctor, go to walk-in and get it checked out.
  • Cleo200
    Cleo200 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was the very same, initially just thought it was because my fitness level had decreased during an 8 week work out break, then realised I was also starting to struggle to get air at night time when lying down, again a dry cough with no cold symptoms that was only there during/after a workout and in bed at night.

Finally went to my doc last week after putting it off for monthsas the symptoms had really stepped up a gear withthe weather getting colder etc...., it turns out it was asthma. Got two inhalers now, one is a preventative steroid one and the other (Ventolin) I use three times a day and it's working so far! (And I was actually blaming my husbands spray deodorant and feather pillows for causing all of it....whoops!)

I never even considered asthma as I'm generally very healthy, don't smoke etc, just had a lot of baby weight to lose.

Def worth checking out with your Doc, just in case.

:o)