1200 cals a day 40mins exercise no loss this week...

Options
I'm really really upset, and kind of feel like crying. I feel like I have been really good this week and have really deprived myself - and I just weighed myself post BM and I have actually gained 0.5 lb. I have been eating more or less 1200cals and doing the 30day shred which I have never done before, and i have gained. I really need some support. :'-(

Replies

• Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    When I dont eat a lot, and workout hard, it usually takes a day of higher calories to get the weight going.
    PS - most people gain weight (muscle) in their first week of the 30 Day Shred.
    PPS - you're weight is lower anyway, and it takes more time to lose weight when you weight less.
    PPPS - maybe you should focus on gaining muscle, and toss the scale away.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is what a 4 foot tall 98lb person could possibly live off.
    Goto
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

Use the Body Fat calculator on the top.
    After you have those numbers use the BMI calories calculator in the middle.

The numbers the BMI calc spits out under activity level are the ones you would "Eat" on a daily basis to loose fat in a healthy way.
    Set your protein to 1gram per Lean Body Mass, found under the info you put in on the Body Fat Calculator.
    Set your Fat content to appx .45 grams per Lean Body Mass.
    Fill the rest of your calories with Carbs.

Settings>goal>change goal>custom>continue

You will be shocked at how much you can eat and drop weight!
    Add me for support!
    Hugs!
    =D
  • Haz89
    Haz89 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been doing the 30 day shred L1 for about 20 days and I have gained weight also. I think you just gain before you lose. Just please keep going and don't quit. You will see results soon I'm sure.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    A few things - I am 5/4 and eat 1470 calories a day - eating back most, if not all of my exercise calories. 1200 is probably too low for you.

I looked at your diary. You are eating a lot of snacks and not a lot of real food. I would bet that you are feeling very hungry and deprived based on what is in your diary. Add some freshly cooked foods - meat, veggies and fruits, and cut back on the empty calories so that you don't feel so deprived and hungry. You can have a lot of whole foods for 1200-1300 calories compared to cakes and sweets.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I think if you have not checked out the before/afters in the forums for the 30DS....you should!!!! They are AMAZING and most gain at least initially!! I think you will be shocked. I was!! Chin up. :)
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    First of all, .5 pounds can be just a normal fluctuation.

Secondly, are you eating enough? Is that 1200 total or 1200 plus eating the calories you burn?
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    it could very well be that you are just gaining as much muscle as you are losing in fat (muscle weighs more than fat). so i wouldn't worry! it's only one week - keep at it! :) (ps I am doing the same amount of calories and exercise as you - i think 1200 is plenty if you eat the right foods! i lost 5 lbs so far in the last month)
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Try to stay positive. I went through the same thing. I wasn't eating enough food, compared to how much I was exercising. Need to fuel up to lose weight. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. Good luck YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Are you eating your exersise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?

Are you eating your exercise calories?

You should be doing both.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    it's frustrating but hang in there. Are you netting 1200 calories or eating 1200 and then burning from 30 day shred? I'm guessing you need to eat a bit more.
  • JenelNguyen
    Options
    That has definitely happened to me. I think if you gave yourself a day of maybe 1400 to 1500 calories, you'd suddenly see yourself lose a pound or two. I know it sounds weird but your body might be holding onto the weight but once it realizes you're not trying to starve it, the body will let go of those pounds. Try it and tell me what happens.
  • cory2615
    Options
    You have to find your Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) and then go from there
    The body needs a certain amount of calories to function (breathing, moving, blinking) that all burns calories believe it or not.
    What happened is your body went into starvation mode. Every thing you ate was turned into fat and held on to cause you body wasn't functioning properly.
    Use a BMR calculator online or Google the BMR equation and you can figure it out that way.
    Its strange to think but its true. I'm trying to lose about 30 lbs and i have to eat at least 1500-1600 calories per day!
    Good Luck, now go eat something!
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I was told that when you start working out hard and use new muscles you have not worked in a while, like with the shred, you cause tiny microscopic tears in the muscles. To repair those muscles your body will hold on to excess fluid. Once your muscles get used to the exercise they will stop retaining the water and you will see the loss. Also with the Shred you should have taken your measurements, measurements are a great way to know if what you are doing is working. Almost everyone that I know who has done the Shred has gained the first week.

You should not be depriving yourself of that much. You need to find a balance so you can still eat what you want and not feel deprived. If you want a burger have a burger but have a side salad and a diet coke instead of fries and a milkshake. Still want that milk shake, use light ice cream and fat free milk but have it and work it into your calorie allowance. I don't always eat back all my calories, mostly because I work out at night and don't want to eat late but you should try to eat some of them back at least. These calories will allow you to have those things you want so you are not deprived.

Keep in mind that .5lbs is a very small gain. That happens with normal body fluctuation, like retaining water, no bowel movement etc. Try not to stress over .5lbs. Some days I am up 2 but they come right off in the next few days and so I know my body was just doing it's thing. As long as you are doing everything right and really tracking everything your body will do it's thing. Give it time.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Are you eating your exersise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

I dont agree with all of this.
    If you take someone who has a BMR of appx 1500 and feed them well below that for an extended time they will stop losing weight because they arent getting vital nutrients to vital organs.
    Lets keep in mind that BMR is a calorie requirement of your "vital organs" if you did nothing all day but sleep.
    Shes eating below.
    This is where MFP sets goals too low and all the confused posts start popping up asking "Why arent I losing any weight?"
    Lets throw the BMI out the window and get the stats on Body Fat %. Thats where the real numbers are!
    And unless you are on a very specific dietary intake you wont "build muscle" on a calorie deficit!
    I'm not trying to start a forum fight but we have to be careful telling someone its okay to drop 2lbs a week without their doctors saying so.
    Its recommended a .5lb-1lb a week drop and you can get that by cutting 20% off of your total maintenance calories.
    Her total maint calories are way above 1200!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Try measuring your inches. You might not be losing lbs but you may be losing inches, and really, isn't that what counts?
    Also, you may want to eat your exercise calories. Sounds silly, but you can lose by eating more.
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of starvation mode. the body stores fat because of not eating enough food ? sounds to me that is what is happening to you. A female should eat at least 1200 and if you are exercising as well then you need to eat a lot more Try changing your calorie intake around to so your body doesn't get used to the same amount all the time. Eat more protein as that builds muscle and muscle burns calories, also drink plenty of water. .5 isn't that bad a gain, could be water retained or you could of made more muscle. Don't just look at the scales, measure yourself and even look at how your clothes are fitting. Don't try to rush losing the weight either, slow and steady is the trick Good luck
  • dbaumgarn
    Options
    I did the same, your building muscle and loosing fat...Hang in there, if you stick with it you will see results. I have been through shred and I lost more inches then weight...I also added some more cardio in my daily routine. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!