Half Marathons in 2012

Options
I am signed up for my second half in January and third in May (Disney and Long Island). Thinking of doing one in October too. How many "bigger" races do you do in one year? Wondering if three is too much? Hoping to do at least 5 5k's next year...
Anyone else addicted to racing?

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it a lot. Got sidelined for a bit this year thanks to a foot injury, but I'm back training now.

I have a half scheduled for April 2012 with some 10K races thrown in here and there. I'm not sure if I want to be a regular on the half marathon circuit or if I want to train for a full marathon in October. Depends a lot on how I'm feeling after the half in April. Only bad thing about half / full marathons is that it becomes a pricy hobby.
  • Jones4177
    Options
    I plan on doing 1 a year. I normally do our Indy 500 Mini Marathon in May. I live in Indianapolis.
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half marathon in February. So far I've been doing 5ks and 10ks regularly throughout the year. I definitely feel like I'm addicted to racing. It keeps me motivated.

I don't really have an answer for you on how many bigger races you can do a year. I think that depends a lot on the person. It does sound like you have them spaced out nicely to allow some time for rest.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Beyond addicted to racing is this girl ... you can run more, but I would advise you to have a few that you are going to really give your all out effort and a few that you are going to run for fun. Obviously you are always "trying" but some runs the goal is PR while others is to finish... for example

April 2011 ran a half as a training run because my plan called for 14 that day anyways...
    May 2011 was the race that was supposed to be the all out, for a PR (didnt happen because there was 35 mph winds hehe)

Aug 2011 was a PR run ... all out and left it all out there, but Sept 2011, and both of the October runs were for fun
    Savannah in November was for fun ...

In hindsight of my injury problem ... new rule is no more than 1 half per month! :)
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    In the summer of '10 I did 5 half marathons in 15 days. This past summer I did 8 in seven weeks.

I can do them 'thar marathons .... just takes me two days to get 'em done! :laugh:

I'm doing three in January - 1/7 (MS), 1/14 (FL), and 1/15 (LA). I'm doing one in every state. I gotta do them when I can get there and have the time. I have OK, AR, and VA penciled in for February and March. I want to do KS the same weekend I'm doing SD in June. Hopefully I'll find a half to do. CT is also scheduled for June and NJ in August. I can't find any state in July that I haven't already done ....... at this point anyway. I'll keep looking!

I teach so that opens up my summer for more travels.
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to do my first half marathon in DC around all the monuments on St Patty's Day...can you ask for more!! In training now, I started running this past May and feel I will be ready enough...i hope:)
    I plan on running a second rock n roll in september in Philly along with a handful of 5ks, 10ks and maybe a warrior dash...this running thing is amazing and addicting!
  • HRBush
    HRBush Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I did one last year and may do 2 in 2012. I have signed up for the Indianapolis Mini Marathon in May. My friend wants me to do another one with her 2 weeks later in Geist. I want to but I don't know if that is too much too fast.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I do two half marathons in a year... one in May and one in October. I try to do a 5K/4 or 5 miler each month if I can afford it. It also helps keep up the training ;)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I'm going to do a half in February, a marathon in May, then probably a few 10k's and/or half's after summer.
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oh my!! Loving this thread! I have signed up for 3 1/2 marathons next year (Leeds in May, Plymouth in June and Birmingham in October) plus a load of 10k and 5k races as part of a 100 mile challenge. Cannot wait. Even if I end up dying in all the races!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My running club is putting on our first annual Long John Jaunt half marathon in Feb. Already signed up. I also signed up for a leg of a relay. I haven't selected my legs yet, but they are typically 15-22km (HM is 21.1k for those who run in miles). Not sure if I will do anymore. Triathlon is my sport so after that I will be training for that season. Maybe I will do a fall one.

Oh wait, I just remembered I rolled over a registration for a half marathon last year in May, so I have to use it this May or I lose my money. Guess I am running in May too.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm signing up for the Disney Wine and Dine half-marathon in Sept 2012. I'm psyched and scared poop-less (MA! Get me my Depends!!) that I'm not going to finish and that's my goal -- just to finish. I'm scared scared scared, but who thought ten years ago I'd even have the nerve to run a 5k!!
  • Lemetriab
    Lemetriab Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to do my first half marathon in DC around all the monuments on St Patty's Day...can you ask for more!! In training now, I started running this past May and feel I will be ready enough...i hope:)

I am a newbie to this 5k 10k marathon business and would like to know how you guys train for this. Do you just start running or is there a science to it all. A little history, I tried track in high school for 3 weeks and failed at it miserably , so I quit. I want to try this running thing again, but I don't want to fail.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    As far as "too many" it really is up to you and your body. How fast can you recover from each. The ones you mention leave you with more than enough time to recover inbetween each race.

Just keep your training consistent and make sure to take some down time to recover properly and you should be good to go.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

I am a newbie to this 5k 10k marathon business and would like to know how you guys train for this. Do you just start running or is there a science to it all. A little history, I tried track in high school for 3 weeks and failed at it miserably , so I quit. I want to try this running thing again, but I don't want to fail.

Do a Google search for Hal Higdon. He has many plans for half marathons. Novice to experienced runners. And, pfffft ..... if I can do 'em ....... ANYONE can! I type truth.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've already got 2 big triathlons scheduled (on consecutive weekends too!)... will probably do a couple of smaller ones as well.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

Do a Google search for Hal Higdon. He has many plans for half marathons. Novice to experienced runners. And, pfffft ..... if I can do 'em ....... ANYONE can! I type truth.

Hal Higdon is the DUDE!
  • IronmanPanda
    Options

What have you been doing so far? Depending on what your current ability is I would probably start with C25K. It is an interval training program aimed to get you to be able to run your first 5k.

Once you can do that, there is another program aimed to take you to your first 10k. Once you can run that consistently and build a solid base then you can move on from there into one of Hal's plans that are perfect for a beginner.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I plan on doing my first half marathon this year. I am still working my way through the C25K program, so we will see!
  • IronmanPanda
    Options
    I found some links to some other great running programs. Sift through them and you can find something that fits you, your time and your running base.

Pfitzinger - http://pfitzinger.com/

JeffGalloway - http://www.jeffgalloway.com/store/

JackDaniels - http://www.amazon.com/Daniels-Running-Formula-Jack/dp/0880117354 - http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

Higdon- http://www.halhigdon.com/