Vitamin B Complex

Options
Hi, all!
What are your thoughts on adding a Vitamin B Complex to your breakfast? Do you think it's beneficial or unnecesary?
Fot that matter, what vitmains does everyone out there take and why?
Peace!!

Replies

• donnaypb
    donnaypb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bump. I would like to know also :)
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have been taking B-100, B-6, Acai, Magnesium and cinnamon since I started this program. They are all supposed to help your metabloism and I do believe it!:flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I take that because I'm vegetarian, but is hasn't made a lick of difference in my metabolism.
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I take a B12 vitamin every morning. I feel like they help me so much...they give me energy...at least I feel like they do.
  • andreacord
    Options
    Um .. I take a vitamin B complex sublingual in a liquid because my parents told me to .. not sure why. My dad is a freak over naturopath stuff so I've always taken vitamins. I'm in college right now so I'm just going off of what's not too expensive so I also take apple cider vinegar in raw form (you can get caplets as well) apparently its good for weight loss, but it helps me with tummy problems and excessive bloating, Niacin for metabolizing carbs and fats, a women's multi just for an extra boost, and Chromium GTF because it keeps insulin regular and keeps my sugar cravings in check. Need to get some liquid Omega 3's next because I took that at home and miss it, does wonders for your body and good for hair, skin and nails as well.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Not necessary unless your diet is deficient in b-vitamins. Probably not terribly beneficial either, at least in the case of B-12. B-12 is rarely deficient in meat eaters, and the oral forms of the vitamins aren't well absorbed anyhow.
  • dubose01
    dubose01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I absolutely suggest B complex...I have been taking it in the morning (pill form works better for me) for 4 years now. I exercise daily and I feel like I have way more energy taking this supplement. in the past 4 years I have lost 90 pounds, so I always suggest things that work for me!! good luck!!
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I take a super B-Complex everyday...I feel it makes a difference in my energy level. I have been doing this for at least 2 yrs. My husband says he makes it better when he takes it too.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I take a Multi, B-50 Complex, Sublingual B 12 and Calcium daily. Feel great!!! Do you work with a Dietitian or Doctor who can help advise you?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I absolutely suggest B complex...I have been taking it in the morning (pill form works better for me) for 4 years now. I exercise daily and I feel like I have way more energy taking this supplement. in the past 4 years I have lost 90 pounds, so I always suggest things that work for me!! good luck!!

You lost 90 pounds because you dieted and exercised. I lost 36 pounds in three months NOT taking B complex. I ate less and moved more.

Also, eating healthier and exercising will result in more energy on their own.
  • emmazacklover
    Options
    I had heard that about cinammon, too. Good to know. What brands do you recommend?
  • emmazacklover
    Options
    Not necessary unless your diet is deficient in b-vitamins. Probably not terribly beneficial either, at least in the case of B-12. B-12 is rarely deficient in meat eaters, and the oral forms of the vitamins aren't well absorbed anyhow.
    Thanks... I wondered if the oral form was absorbed in the same way or not. Currently, I have low cholesterol but my HDL and LDL are out of whack. My LDL is higher than it should be and my HDL is lower than it should be... My doctor suggested the next move is to eliminate animal proteins from my diet. So I am slowly trying that to see what will help. I didn't know if with that decrease I needed to supplement anything?
  • emmazacklover
    Options
    I take a Multi, B-50 Complex, Sublingual B 12 and Calcium daily. Feel great!!! Do you work with a Dietitian or Doctor who can help advise you?

I am actually going to see a dietitian here soon. Good point! Thanks!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have recently added a B complex at my doctor's request. It seems that after age 50 your body absorbs less of some B vitamins. If you are younger and eating a healthy diet you likely don't need it.

Other than than I take fish oil and vitamin D (I skip the D a lot in the summer)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Thanks... I wondered if the oral form was absorbed in the same way or not. Currently, I have low cholesterol but my HDL and LDL are out of whack. My LDL is higher than it should be and my HDL is lower than it should be... My doctor suggested the next move is to eliminate animal proteins from my diet. So I am slowly trying that to see what will help. I didn't know if with that decrease I needed to supplement anything?

I'm no doctor, but I I've never heard of protein affecting cholesterol levels. If he's wants you to eliminate the fat that comes along with animal proteins...I don't think that would affect your LDL/HDL ratio either.

Personally, If I was in your shoes, I would supplement with fish oil. But again, I'm not a doctor.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I think it doesn't hurt. I take one and I love the energy I get from it.. I also take vit. D3 everyday.
  • samdgood
    samdgood Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Elevated cholesterol levels aren't caused by a high-cholesterol diet alone. The fact is, a combination of factors affect your cholesterol levels. They are affected by things you can't control such as age, gender, family history and race. They are also affected by things you can control such as diet, exercise, and smoking. So, there is a lot more to it than just cut the fats. I get a lot of great info on cholesterol and other health conditions on sparkpeople.com.
  • samdgood
    samdgood Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Um .. I take a vitamin B complex sublingual in a liquid because my parents told me to .. not sure why. My dad is a freak over naturopath stuff so I've always taken vitamins. I'm in college right now so I'm just going off of what's not too expensive so I also take apple cider vinegar in raw form (you can get caplets as well) apparently its good for weight loss, but it helps me with tummy problems and excessive bloating, Niacin for metabolizing carbs and fats, a women's multi just for an extra boost, and Chromium GTF because it keeps insulin regular and keeps my sugar cravings in check. Need to get some liquid Omega 3's next because I took that at home and miss it, does wonders for your body and good for hair, skin and nails as well.

i did a lot of research on the B vitamins and decided on the B complex liquid. i read both opinions on which is easier to digest, liquid or pill and decided i agree that liquid is better since the pill has to be broken down before being absorbed. just my opinion tho.
    i like the B complex because the benefits are:
    Support and increase the rate of metabolism
    Maintain healthy skin, hair and muscle tone
    Enhance immune and nervous system function
    Promote cell growth and division, including that of the red blood cells that help prevent anemia
    Reduce the risk of pancreatic cancer -
    All B vitamins are water-soluble, and are dispersed throughout the body. Most of the B vitamins must be replenished regularly, since any excess is excreted in the urine.

I used to take a lot of prescription drugs for various probs including fibromyalgia but the side affects are not worth it... weight gain, hair loss, insomnia, etc. i am a fat balding woman! i threw the pills away and started eating healthier, looking into natural vitamins and nutrients, and increasing my activity level. i have a lot of pain but i actually feel better than when i was taking pills.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Whatever you take, make sure you take it with other b-vitamins because the B-vitamins are interrelated and are dependent on each other. Taking a B6 is valueless unless you take it with a complete B complex.

"For example, if extra B6 is taken in 50-milligram potencies, it is important that a complete B complex accomany it, not all in 50 milligram potencies, but each B vitamin increased proportionately according to the amounts established by the National Academy of Sciences for normal maintenance. For instance, the adult RDA for vitamin B6 is 2 milligrams. Fifty milligrams is 25 times the RDA. The B vitamins accompanying B6 should then all be increased 25 times."

Kirshmann, Gayla J. and John D. Kirschmann. Nutrition Almanac 4th ed. McGraw-Hill: New York. 1996. p. 41.
  • coolchick03270
    Options
    Funny that you asked this. It was just yesterday that I took a B-complex vitamin in the morning with breakfast and by noon I felt like I was about to flip-out...I was all jittery and felt really crappy. I guess if it works for you, but I will stay away.