Hard work with no loss?

Options
How long without weight loss do you consider a plateau? I am doing challenges that are expecting me to lose and I haven't lost a pound in 16 days...I drink plenty of water and stay within my calories. I work out regularly and have been doing a lot more cardio trying to push the scale, just doesn't budge!

Replies

• teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    make your food diary public, and we can check it out for you.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    You are getting really close to your goal - its natural for weightloss to slow as you have less and less weight to lose. I think it's only considered a plateau if it goes something like 6 weeks? Not completely sure of that number, but 2 weeks is definitely too early to get concerned. :-)
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    something in this blog I wrote may help you...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/H_Factor/view/breaking-a-plateau-170648
  • fitnatic67
    Options
    don't know if this has been said already but it may be the type of calories you're taking in.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'd say a month, but that's only if I was 100% sure that everything was consistent.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Clothes fitting any differently? Any changes with measurements or the mirror? Net calories?
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think it's considered a plateau when its been four weeks (but it could be six, too) with no loss or gain.

I could be totally wrong but sometimes I think I don't lose because my skin needs a chance to catch up to my changing body composition. Makes me feel better anyway...

If its only two weeks, take a close look at your diary and think about trying some new foods or switching to a different form of exercise.

I don't know if you've done it already but several of my MFP friends who are close/at goal have said they switched their settings to losing .5lbs a week once they were within the ten pound range to goal. That might help, too. A little more food to go with all that extra working out. :)

Good luck! You've done so well already!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you consuming? What was your starting weight and what is your current weight? Do you do any strength training/weights?
  • evselc
    evselc Posts: 15
    Options
    If you are exercising alot you may need to increase your caloric intake. Make sure that in your settings your activity level is set correctly.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I went 4 months without a budge. Upped my protein by 20 grams a day, upped my water intake by a couple glasses (now i'm drinking 14+ most days), and watched my carbs carefully. Dropped 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Now i'm stuck again. LOL
  • MarchelleLynne
    MarchelleLynne Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I don't always make the best food choices but generally stay in my calories. I usually don't eat my exercise calories back but have been thinking about it a lot lately. I just recently started doing strength training and resistance bands as well. Just seems the harder I work the less I lose. I still have 50 more pounds to lose.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat my exercise calories back but have been thinking about it a lot lately.

Most common denominator of people who complain of getting stuck. Quite simply, you're under-eating, so your body is hoarding fat.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat my exercise calories back but have been thinking about it a lot lately.

Most common denominator of people who complain of getting stuck. Quite simply, you're under-eating, so your body is hoarding fat.

^^ this.