fit-and-fun-sized-those-under-5-4-for-November

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,985 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Kaetra, thank you for everything you just wrote.......it said what I might have said only better.......I walk all the time----with dogs and without them.....I tried running and after running past seven houses, that was enough......then a friend in her 50's told me about injuries that she has that are directly traceable to all the running she did, and that convinced me to stick with walking.

:bigsmile: schlumy, slow and steady wins the race......stay open minded to new ideas but discard the ones that don't work for you.....the best exercise is the one you'll do consistently. If you like to walk and have good places to walk, then keep it up.......I started walking my dogs first thing in the morning in April and have gradually increased the walk to 90 minutes. As the days got shorter and the temperature dropped, I began to find ways to be able to continue with the walks and still be where I need to be at 9 AM........I have a walk in the dark plan and I've been adding new layers of clothing to accommodate the dropping temperatures......I get up every morning and walk and don't give myself a choice......it works :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I haven't checked in for awhile. I've kind of been on again/off again with diet and exercise. Motivation needs to find me again!! Today we take my oldest back to college. We've had a great Thanksgiving and good quality time spent. Have a great Sunday!
  • jenny1377
    jenny1377 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nice to see some other shorties on here. I'm 5"2, sw 183 cw 168 gw 125. Sigh I think I look good at 135 but bmi calculator says 115-125 should be my goal. Any thoughts on this?
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Nice to see some other shorties on here. I'm 5"2, sw 183 cw 168 gw 125. Sigh I think I look good at 135 but bmi calculator says 115-125 should be my goal. Any thoughts on this?

BMI calculator is not a great indicator for many different body types, including shorties. (Considering it was created in the early 1800's by a math guy, it's hard to believe it's still in use this day and age, and so heavily relied upon by doctors and insurance companies.)

If you think you look good at 135 then that should be your goal. Don't try for a goal you know is unreasonable. I'm 5'0" and at 110 pounds I was WAY too thin. My body type doesn't look good at 110 and I don't give a fig what the ancient BMI calculator says :)
  • barbiecat
    Options

:flowerforyou: Jenny, only you can decide. I though 130 would be a good goal for me (I am 5'3") but at that weight I wasn't happy. My goal is 110 and I've had a few comments about that being too thin but I felt great. Right now I am battling a few extra pounds following two month of too many "eating events". I just checked the MFP BMI calculator and it has a range from 101-136 as a healthy BMI for your height.

:angry: :mad: :explode: :cry: I went back to my bad old eating pattern last night…….I went to a potluck planning to eat nothing and ended up in line and eating fried chicken and considering going back for more. It wasn’t as bad as it could have been (or as bad as it was before MFP) but it scared me a bit. Today we are doing a cleanse day. I hope it will help me get focused again. My weight has gone up and it will take at least a week of healthy eating to figure out how much of it is water weight from too much sodium and how much is actual poundage that I need to get rid of.

:flowerforyou: It is raining today and there are lots of birds in and out of our yard so Bernie is standing on the window sill watching them. He has gotten happy with all the attention he gets as an indoor cat, but he loves to look out the window.

:flowerforyou: daybyday, it's good to see you......just posting on MFP is the beginning of the return to motivation:bigsmile:

Barbie from NW Washington
    November goal
    walk for at least an hour every day with the frisky poodles no matter how cold, wet, windy, or snowy
    [img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
    "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the newcomers. The more the merrier.

Finally, I feel like I am back on track for exercise. My goal is getting back to 5-6 days a week at 30 minutes a day. Then I have to get the calories back under control.

Walking is the best exercise anyway. Even if you do other things it is always good to keep walking when ever you can.

Jeannie
  • robotaffliction
    Options
    Hi! I'm also pretty new and a shorty (about 5'1"). I don't weigh myself (I tend to get too obsessive about it), but I'm trying to fit back into my pants and improve my fitness.
  • robotaffliction
    Options
    Does anyone thinks it’s weird that I am happy to keep my weight around 230? I know it’s like a BMI of over 40 but to get the calorie deficit I need to lose weight is starting to need some depravations that I just can't live with. It’s not like I am bummed about having to give up soda or something; I have already cut that down to like 2 12oz cans a week, back from 2 a day. My diet isn’t all that great and it consistently tips past the 2000 calorie mark, but at least at that calorie count I don’t feel like I have to skip a meal to stay on target. When I do the “eat lots of fruits and vegetables” I still go over the limit, even if all I do is roast the things with Pam and salt & pepper . Eating is a pleasure that can last most of your life, I don’t think I should have to forgo it almost completely to get to an “approved” weight, mediacal or social.

Based on the weight and clothing size I was in high school, I would have to drop another 70lbs before I would even drop another pant size; I have no high blood pressure, diabetes, heart, or breathing problems, any joint problems I have are in my hands and not my legs or back. If you take the BMI out of the equation I am in perfect health. Am I crazy for being willing to maintain at 5’-1” and 230 lbs?

I think if you're happy, that's great: especially if you're eating a lot of good-for-you foods. Have you heard about the Health at Every Size movement? http://www.haescommunity.org/
  • schlumy
    Options
    I tried C25K, but repeating Week 1 was as about as far as I was able to take it - and even that was a bit much, too jarring, shin splints, yuck. I don't want to hurt myself, I want to have FUN! And that Jillian Michaels monster, oh I chucked her to the curb quick smart. She tried to kill me! Bullies suck.

Thank you Kaetra!! You couldn't have said anything more perfect :)
    I know and feel like i'm doing what i need to be doing for ME but one person in particular does not...and he may not be around much longer if he keeps it up!!
    i'm still walking, and will continue to walk. I've read wonderful things about walking for weight loss and even lost 20lbs 3 yrs ago walking every day (2.2 miles) I'm back on the wagon! It's what i like and it is working. I'm done caring what other people say/think. I hate that i'm doing it on my own, but regardless, i'm gonna do it!
    I LOVE what you said about Jillian!! I'm dying laughing...she IS a bully and it's NO FUN! I'm going to try some Wii or PS2 game to keep me moving as well, might try Zumba :)

thanks all!
    i'm very grateful for all of YOU!
  • judyw51
    Options
    Ok weird question? Is it possible to get 6 pack abs or at least a flat tummy after having 2 kids and being 70 lbs overweight for 15 years?

I have lost over 60 lbs since January but I still have a pot belly and being short it still makes me look heavy. I do Cardio and Strength Training 6 days a week but I seem to be stuck at the last 15 lbs and waist size
  • ChshireKat
    Options
    Hi all,
    My is finally off the frits it recording 228.8 clothed & 227 in the buff so I have dropped 3 lbs from a month ago. My goal is to stay @ 227 through the new year.

The Saturday after thanks giving I forgot to eat for a long while and I had a blood sugar crash and passed out, my boyfriend saved me from bashing my head on the wall ... then he gave me a marshmallow to level me out till we got breakfast. He was so calm and easy with it; I am glad that he was there otherwise I would have probably drowned in the shower.
  • jam0525
    Options
    Hello all,

I will be shoveling snow off and on all day today which is good as I need the exercise. lol This year has been horrible for my weight. I've put on almost 10 pounds from eating too much too often and not getting exercise like I use to. I started this journey during the winter, so I know I can get back on the road to being healthy during the winter once again. I just have to figure how to make lasting adjustments to the increased stress and from going back to work full time.

One simple thing I know I need to do again is to post all my foods everyday. Work has been so busy I haven't been able to log in during the week like I use to. Unfortunately, work is were I did most of my posting. Home has been too busy for years. I do best when I post all my meals in the morning, this way I can make adjustments and I know how much wiggle room I have. If I get back to those two things and start exercising more on the weekend, I should be able to be on track for my diet anniversary on 1/5.

Have a great Monday everyone,

Jeannie
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Hi Jeannie,
    I've gained a few pounds this fall---too many Thanksgiving events and too much eating without portion control and without logging what I ate. I think I am back on track now, but hubby has been planning meals and he wants variety and has been buying food I don't normally eat pasta, potatoes, black eye peas) so I've had to be very careful with portion control. the good thing is that I know what to do.to stay on track so it doesn't get out of control again.

:bigsmile: chshireKat, glad to hear that you're OK.......I hope you're back to eating on a regular schedule so that doesn't happen again. ....... you are right on to set maintaining your weight through the upcoming holidays.....that's my goal too.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

December goals:
    *keep walking the dogs for at least an hour every morning no matter how cold, wet, or snowy.
    * do yoga five days a week

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
    "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."
  • jam0525
    Options
    I just realized it is DECEMBER!

I will get a new thread going sometime today and put the link in here.

Jeannie
  • jam0525
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Here is the link to the December thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/416244-fit-and-fun-sized-those-under-5-4-for-december

Jeannie
  • iggy46
    Options
    :glasses: :drinker:

Hi Jeanne,

As for weekends--Keep posting ALL foods into my fitness pal & exercises also. If you over eat some--then what I would do is add more exercise. For instance I may go walk briskly for 2-3 minutes, or jump rope for 1-2 minutes. I break up exercises into small amounts.

Another trick--when cooking something or microwaving a food/drink--just take that time and walk around house--that counts as exercise.

I pray this advice helps!

Beth W
  • iggy46
    Options
    :laugh: :bigsmile:

Congratulations on losing 10 lbs. To stay on track just keep logging ALL foods into myfitness pal. Do short spurts of exercise daily.

Good trick--when cooking or microwaving something just take that time & walk around house, jump rope, lift weights anything!
    All exercise is good & helps in weight loss!
  • barbiecat
    Options
  • danaw_errn
    Options
    So far I have lost 12lbs since joining myfitnesspal. Although I still have some to go, I feel so much better about myself and can see the progress when I look in the mirror. Have a girlfriend who is struggling right now, she has joined. I hope it helps her as much as it has me!!
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hi,

If I may join

I am 5'2"@ 140 pounds, looking to get to 120
    Want to get in a bikini this year, hopefully by march

Sonal