HELP! I met all of my goals and now I need new ones!

Options
I passed my initial weight loss, Body Fat %, and clothing size goals a few months ago and, after a bit of a struggle, FINALLY got the hang of maintenance, so I met that goal of understanding how to maintain.

Now I am mostly content.

I am content with my general fitness level.

I am content with my weight and size.

I am content with the knowledge that I know how to maintain my general weight, size, and fitness level, but...

I am a goals kind of girl and I am *not* particularly happy about not having something to work towards.

I've dabbled with running, but I just don't really like it as a main form of exercise. I tried C25K, but it just really wasn't my cup of tea. I’ve done a few 5Ks and will continue to do them and hopefully improve, but running isn’t something I really get excited about. I like doing those events because they typically support charities and offer me the opportunity to be active AND make a difference.
I adore Zumba and have been doing it for over a year, but since I have virtually no rhythm and still look like a chicken running around with my head cut off (even though I know all of the steps), I have no aspirations to be a Zumba instructor or anything like that.
I don't have the $$ to invest in P90X or Insanity or in any fancy exercise program and completing them doesn't really hold all that much appeal for me anyway, nor does a specific goal like “I want to be able to do 100 continuous pushups.”

I want a challenging goal to work towards.

That being said, I have *NO* idea what goal that might be. It needs to be a challenge. I have shed an entire person's worth of weight from my body. I have cut my Body % by well over half. I can fit into one leg of my old pants. But I want to do more. I want to continue to work towards SOMETHING, and I'd really love to do something that allows me to motivate and/or inspire others as well.

HELP! What do I work towards next?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Dragon flags or a one limb variant of squat, push up or pull up
  • Katibug185
    Options
    Hi CoryIda, First of all you are helping others. You just inspired me! Second pick, friend in need on this app ans hold their hand, share your meal ideas and workouts. Third love yourself and love those around you adn feel OK with ehre you asre. Nothing wrong with resting in YOUR success! 30in100
  • Powerlifting? Or maybe figure compeitions? Bottom line is ppl can't tell you what to work towards but only you know what it is you really want...try a little bit of everything and figure out what u like the most.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Try cycling. Yes, you have to buy a bike, but I love it. You are always able to push yourself with either climbing, distance or speed...or all the above.

Martial arts is another good one for goal oriented people, always going for the next level.
  • clarehodgson14
    Options
    I have no ideas for goals i just wanted to say WOW WOW WOW, amazing weight loss congratulations. you have just motivated me a bit more.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Try cycling. Yes, you have to buy a bike, but I love it. You are always able to push yourself with either climbing, distance or speed...or all the above.

Martial arts is another good one for goal oriented people, always going for the next level.
    Cycling is a great idea for me to put away for future reference. I can't afford a bike right now, but I always enjoyed it when I was younger.
  • jrp050680
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, though I haven't accomplished nearly what you have! It's hard to motivate myself to input my food and exercise on here since I'm not working toward anything anymore. A small part of me wants to try to lose more weight just to have a goal, but I realize that's unhealthy. I do run, though the winter weather is taking its toll on that. I'm honestly not sure I'm a "goals kind of girl" like you, but I really did enjoy the satisfaction of reaching those goals. I think that's what I long for now: the satisfaction. Maybe health and fitness goals have been exhausted...it's time to work on other parts of me! :)
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Help others meet their goals.

So many people like myself and others that are not where we want to be yet are inspired by you.

One thing that stopped me doing a lot of things was "I can't afford this..." and it has impacted myself and my family.

My investment so far is: time, $60 for ASICs shoes (they were $160 - out of reach, but I prayed and received $100 out of the blue), when they wore out I had done a charity walk to raise money for Cancer Council and got a voucher for new Rockports. Been to gym 3 times, every time a freebie, weights - filled milk bottles with water (1litre water = 1kg weight) and used them while I walked (and I had water for the walk too!).

Now I can't walk much (overpronation - left getting new shoes too long, but 'couldnt afford new ones'), so I swim.

So, I think you can do it, you just have to think big and dream big and you WILL get there.

You are shining a bright and beautiful light .... don't hold back, just shine it around ... take what you have and share it with others.

People like me, that, just weeks ago said I can't do it .... well, in fact, I say I can, so when I make that realistic goal I WILL do it. That is why it is called WILLPOWER, not wontpower or cantpower.

Money can't stop the human WILL, in fact, it is usually out of WILLing, and DOing, that the provision comes ... sometimes to abundance (and then, like Bill Gates, etc. you can give to others).

[edit]: and whatever you do, stay on MFP - YOU ARE INSPIRING, and so many people look up to you. YOU, my friend, are a WINNER !
  • dodger7977
    dodger7977 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could mentor someone and put your goal energy into helping them achieve? If you like to cook you could make a goal to come up with New gluten and dairy free recipes. Like maybe 3 a month?
  • SewJoe
    SewJoe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Head up a challenge for MFP people interested in a goal. I was involved in a challenge for November, but the moderator could not continue with everyone. There was another gal giving us lots of military-like hootin' and hollerin' to keep us sharp. It was fun.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You have been a real inspiration to others and you deserve every congratulations that you get.

You have probably been so focussed on weight management, that now that you have been at goal for a while, it perhaps feels like a little bit of anti climax.

Given that you have now been able to successfully maintain your loss for while, perhaps the answer lies in aiming for another goal in your life that you have not fulfilled. That does not have to be a weight loss goal, it could be something else in your life that you feel you need to address.

Whatever you feel that Is, take comfort in the fact that you are a goal orientated person and clearly you have the discipline to do anything that you set your mind to. Learn a new language? No problem. A new musical instrument? I'm sure your dedication will have you learning in no time. Helping a child or significant other reach a milestone? You have the tools to teach.

And - as a lot of other people have commented - its great to have you around to inspire the rest of us who are getting there as well if you believe it works within your own plan.

Whatever your next goal is, make sure you have a real think about what your priorities in life now are. Is there something that has been holding you back in the past? Fix it! Learn, enjoy life.

One final thing: whatever your next goal is, always keep an eye on your health. It may not need the same dedicated compulsiveness to do so as in the past, but you still got to keep an eye on the ball, so as to speak.

Good luck in your life journey, the world is your oyster!
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I think you recently took up yoga, any interest in becoming a yoga instructor? Or possibly volunteering at the local chapter of WW (even thouh you didn't lose that way) and being like a Weight Watchers sponsor (pretty sure that doesn't officially exist but you get the idea). Also another good idea might be partnering with a local school and seeing about doing an after school something or other with the kids to help fight childhood obesity. You are inspiring to alot of people and I'm sure with some research there are ways in your community that you can get more involved. Good luck!