Healthier Homemade Big Mac w/pics!

Options

Replies

• evilgirlie
    evilgirlie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    oh man, that is going on my menu this week! Thanks for sharing!
  • mummy_gerdes
    mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    making later!
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I added this into the database here and got well over 600 calories for the whole thing. Most of my products come from whole foods or trader joe's and to be honest alot of them i used the low fat version and I made this to serve 4 people instead of two (hence taking out the extra patty and bun bottom). Since I only allot mself 1200 a day that's pushing my calories a bit but it looks delishious. One day I will have to work my butt off at the gym so I can have one =)
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • destined2bfit4life
    Options
    bump to read later
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I added this into the database here and got well over 600 calories for the whole thing. Most of my products come from whole foods or trader joe's and to be honest alot of them i used the low fat version and I made this to serve 4 people instead of two (hence taking out the extra patty and bun bottom). Since I only allot mself 1200 a day that's pushing my calories a bit but it looks delishious. One day I will have to work my butt off at the gym so I can have one =)

What products/brands you use can greatly fluctuate the calories for any recipe, some for the better, some for the worse.

You can easily cut out over 100 calories simply by omitting the middle bun and reducing the sauce by half, making your Big Mac just over 400 calories (not too bad for a Big Mac). You also save nearly 10 grams of fat from the original McDonald's version. :)
  • AnarchyCupcakes
    Options

What products/brands you use can greatly fluctuate the calories for any recipe, some for the better, some for the worse.

You can easily cut out over 100 calories simply by omitting the middle bun and reducing the sauce by half, making your Big Mac just over 400 calories (not too bad for a Big Mac). You also save nearly 10 grams of fat from the original McDonald's version. :)

If you're anything like me, the bun doesn't matter as much as the filling, so you can do the whole thin bun route and sub turkey burger and get it even lower cal/fat. Course it won't taste exactly like a Big Mac then, but usually it's the sauce/condiments I miss.
  • katdouce
    katdouce Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing...I can't wait to try this!! YUMMM!!!
  • jdelisle
    Options

If you're anything like me, the bun doesn't matter as much as the filling, so you can do the whole thin bun route and sub turkey burger and get it even lower cal/fat. Course it won't taste exactly like a Big Mac then, but usually it's the sauce/condiments I miss.

Yep! I made the "authentic" style Big Mac (pictured) for the first go around. Now, everytime we make the recipe I just use a regular hamburger bun (no middle) and cut down on the sauce. It still tastes the same, it's just structured differently/less calories :)
  • sparkletangerine
    Options
    YUM - I don't like fast food (generally) but I LOVE BIG MACS... I think they are addictive... so I am going to try this for sure... Friday night is going to be bigmac night...! Thanks for sharing!
  • lukesmama
    lukesmama Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It looks absolutly delicious my mouth is watering! Thanks for sharing :)
  • pereztech930
    pereztech930 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Looks good!

But am I reading this wrong? As far as cals, fat and carbs..this recipe isn't too much different from the original fast food version.

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/nutritionfacts.pdf
  • Zoe2901
    Zoe2901 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was just about to say the same thing a big mac is 490 cals according to the uk website so your version is not less than that whats the point?
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I was just about to say the same thing a big mac is 490 cals according to the uk website so your version is not less than that whats the point?

^^^This^^^
  • jdelisle
    Options
    The calories as compared to the original (in Canada and the US) are pretty par, but in my version you do save over 5 grams of fat compared to the orginal. The difference is that you are using fresh, real ingredients, not chemically altered "foods". McDonald's uses many harsh chemical additives in their beef as well as preservatives (even the onions are actually dehydrated and soaked in water overnight before being placed on your burger).

In the original post I stated if you want a lower calorie (as opposed to simply just healthier) omit the middle bun and use half the sauce and the calories will reduce by over 100.

You could also use leaner meat (mine is based on 10% lean). For example, a simple switch to 95% lean would save you almost another 100 calories per serving.

I actually only replicated the Big Mac "exactly" the first time, every time I have made it since I've only used a single bun/half the sauce whenever a craving strikes. :)
  • jdelisle
    Options
    I just typed in the recipe and changed the beef to "95% lean" rather than "90% lean", no middle bun, and half the sauce and I come up with:

My version
    Calories - 350 Fat - 16 Carbs - 20 Protein - 34 Iron - 40 Fibre - 3

McDonald's version (Canada)
    Calories - 540 Fat - 29 Carbs - 44 Protein - 24 Iron - 35 Fibre - 3

Difference:
    Calories - 190 Fat - 13 Carbs - 24 Protein - (10) Iron - (5) Fibre - 0
  • jdelisle
    Options

My recipe actually serves 6, not 2, so that should cut your recipe's calories by 1/3 right there! :)
  • fireman300
    fireman300 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    wow..sounds great!
  • mrsfortune
    mrsfortune Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I definitely have to try this! BUMP!:tongue: