Tilapia....now what???

Ok... so I've been trying to eat a bit of fish lately since the only meat I eat is chicken and a little deli turkey meat, however i've never been huge fan of fish (unless it's breaded and deep fried which is now a no-no for my lifestyle) so.... i've got frozen tilapia filets in the freezer, what do I do with them now??? HELP!?!?!

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    bake them. :) tilapia is my go-to meal.
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Sprinkle a little lemon and dried dill and bake. Delicious!
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    A george foreman some pam or evoo and some blacking season....tastes great with some veggies
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    I like to squeeze a little lemon juice on it & garlic powder then put it on top of a bead of spinach. Pop it in the oven for 30 min and you have your fish & veggie. If I pan fry it, I use olive oil & cook over a med-high setting as to not scorch it. The key to mot using too much oil is to dab a bit on a paper towel & coat your pan if you don't have a sprayer.
  • I like my tilapia blackened...garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika and cayenne if you like spicy... Bake or saute' with a bit of oilve oil spray. It cooks really fast and is YUMMY!
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Season with garlic powder, lemon pepper, and Mrs. Dash. Wrap in foil and bake. Yumm!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Marinate in a little lime juice and a little minced garlic. Cook in a pan with non-stick spray. Sea salt, freshly ground pepper.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I typically drizzle it with some kind of marinade or sauce (teriyaki, thai peanut, marinara, lemon garlic) add some frozen veggies that complement the sauce, and bake it all in the same dish, because I'm lazy and don't like having multiple bakeware and pans to wash. :wink:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Thaw them out then bust out some foil.

I cook my tilapia in a foil pouch with a touch of oil. I slice a lemon, but two slices on the foil, then add a tilapia fillet, put two more slices of lemon on top, add second fillet and top again with lemon. close pouch and back.

Seasoning the tilapia with your favorite spices is always a good call.
  • Tilapia is a very versatile fish. Its moderately firm texture holds up well to pan searing, grilling, broiling, etc. Mild flavor lends itself to a ton of flavor profiles. You can't go wrong with grilled tilapia with a spritz of citrus though.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    defrost...put in center of a tinfoil sheet...add lemon juice, lemon/pepper,rosemary and a splash of white wine...fold foil into packet...
    bake or grill in packet until done...it should only take about 20 mins or so...

it is a very forgiving fish, very mild, but delicate...you can add any type of spice or seaoning that you like to flavor it...
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 675 Member
    Talipia Burger. Below is a recipe I sometime use and you can always change it to your needs.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds of fresh Tilapia, minced (almost any other fish like tuna, salmon, snapper will do just as well)
    1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup finely chopped green chives
    1/4 cup finely chopped radish
    1 1/2 finely grated ginger root (check the end of the recipe for a tip on how to easily grate garlic root)
    2 tbs chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tsp sesame oil
    2 tbs sunflower seeds
    1 tbs lite soy sauce
    1 tbs fish sauce
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 egg, beaten

Directions:

In a bowl, thoroughly mix minced tilapia, breadcrumbs, chives, radish, ginger, cilantro, sesame oil, sunflower seeds, soy sauce, fish sauce, cumin, salt, black pepper and egg. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes

Form into patties (this recipe makes 6) and then cook them as you would any other burger, either on the bbq or under the broiler. Being fish they will cook faster than a regular hamburger so put them in later or move them to an upper rack once they are done.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Good baked with some seafood seasoning and served over wilted spinach and brown rice with garlic and a little bit of parmesan cheese.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    If you don't doctor it up in the pan, you can mix with a bag of mixed vegetables. I buy the steamer bags that are mixed in some sort of a light sauce so it's not so bland. The other night I mixed tilapia with bacon and broccoli/carrots and it was excellent.
  • msnewbootie
    msnewbootie Posts: 240 Member
    I was once in the same boat as you, but I now consume Tilapia daily (literally)! I usually blacken it with a little old bay and olive oil, baked or grilled!
  • Bake with some whole wheat panko breading and Italian seasoning. Very nice.
  • it should be noted that if you choose to marinate in lime (or other citrus) then you shouldn't marinate it too long. The acid in the citrus will effectively 'cook' the fish and can leave the texture a bit mealy. 20-30 minutes should do it.
  • 2kidzlater
    2kidzlater Posts: 134 Member
    defrost and marinate with olive oil, fresh lemon juice, sliced garlic, sea salt and black pepper, any herb you have (fresh or dried). bake in oven @ 350 and sprinkle with some panko bread crumbs. bake 15-20 minutes depending on size.
  • Well you can still coat them :) sometimes I do.. all you need is walnuts (healthy fats), Ezekiel Bread ( toast it first), flax seeds ( grind up), mix all together........ and instead of a whole egg just use the egg white. and cook in Olive oil.. or you can put pepper and lemon, no slat seasoning....
  • The great thing about tilapia is that it absorbs flavor REALLY well. So if there's something you like the taste of, marinate it in that. If alcohol isn't totally out, you can make a margarita or a whiskey sour in a skillet and cook it in there (my personal favorite)