Truth about Splenda

Healthier_Me
Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
My cousin posted this on the fam's website.

http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    My cousin posted this on the fam's website.

http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/
  • hjcopeland
    hjcopeland Posts: 53 Member
    From: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/1178-truth-about-splenda :

"The truth about the Truth About Splenda is that the web site is paid for by an association of sugar cane and sugar beet farmers. The press release announcing the site quotes the President and CEO of the Sugar Association. It’s only natural that sugar farmers and manufacturers would be critical of a product put out from their competitor, but it’s 100% unnatural baloney for these folks to hire a PR firm to create the impression that there’s some kind of high risk to eating Splenda that is being kept secret from the American public."
  • Healthier_Me
    Only passing some info that I received so don't shoot the messenger... thanks.
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    to each his own.... =)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    Joanna,

Thanks for sharing the Splenda article. You are the rock star of Internet research!

~Cheryl
  • hjcopeland
    Healthier_Me (is that the former Skinnier_Me?):

I wasn't shooting the messenger, or at least didn't intend to. Sorry if it seemed that way!

To the contrary, I was actually interested in your post and looked into it a little deeper because I am a regular Splenda user (though usually only one packet per day in my coffee).
  • Healthier_Me
    Very welcome Cheryl but my cousin found that article.. don't know where though.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Nicely done Healthier.
    I have been biting my lip a little about the artificial sweetners for some time. I know not everyone has the same belief about them.

Eve
  • Healthier_Me
    Thanks so much Eve =)
  • hjcopeland
    I just realized I pasted the wrong link in above. Not wonder it sounded rude. The quote above is from:

http://www.irregulartimes.com/index.php/archives/2005/01/12/silly-splenda-publicity/

I'm sure it's not exactly a highly respected website as far as research goes, but the author does make some salient points.

HJC
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    If you can stomach it, go to Healthier_Me's website and read the FDA paper (it's VERY lengthy) regarding Splenda and all the poor little animals that they tested it on.

Bottom line. It is an "invented" chemical compound - not sugar. Use only small small doses, and your body should be able to excrete the chemicals - FDA daily recommendation= no more than 1.6mg per 1Kg of body weight. ( This paper was written in 1998, BTW, as the FDA was giving its stamp of approval to the product to be used in various foods and drinks.)

Luckily I only bought one small box a month ago just to try it.

~cm
  • nancym
    nancym Posts: 49
    There is no doubt that the sugar industry has taken a beating in the last 10 years. It is obvious why they have a website that denounces Splenda so heavily.
    Sugar as we know it has chemical processes also. They don't say that. Just the very process of harvesting and the heating and cooling of the sugar cane and beet sugar is a process that changes the chemical compounds of the once natural product.
    Everything has it's pro's and con's. We should all be using and consuming all things in our life with moderation. Just as eating spinach is good for you, but eating too much creates a lack of balance in our lives. Any process sugar is not good for you, but who wants to give up the sweets? I substitute sugar with Splenda as Splenda does not affect my blood sugar like cane or beet sugar can. Also, I don't start a spiral downwards by eating one sugared food and go to the next and then the next...so on. Sugar, cane and beet is simply not good for you. Splenda is not "good" for you, but if taken in small amounts, will not hurt you like cane/beet sugar will.
    One of my stepdaughters, who is a corporate chef, tried Splenda and was convinced it would help the people she was feeding, (old nursing home types), but Splenda told her it wouldn't guarantee it's safety in the quantity of foods given to the people she would be feeding. So we can see that too much Splenda is not guaranteed to be healthy.
    I choose Splenda over sugar any day. Many diabetics chose SweetNLow or any other artificial sweetener. It is a tradeoff of one health issue over another.
    I prefer Splenda. It does taste like Sugar to me, dental issues are virtually gone & it doesn't affect my blood sugar like cane/beet sugar and I am satisfied with that.
    Choose your poison, so to speak.
    Have fun ya'll.
    nancym
  • Healthier_Me
    Like apaden4 posted... to each his own....
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Very interesting chain of posts. Definitely to each his own.

That being said, there is a huge difference between heating and cooling of sugar beets and sugar cane which may alter the chemistry (more like the chemical bonds) of raw sugar products and adding a chemical which alters the substance through replacement of molecules using corrosive materials. Sounds yucky enough to me... besides that my personal take is that Splenda is way too sweet. Double yucky......Call me Plain Jane, but I'll stick to sugar.

BTW - I spent a bit of time in a sugar cane factory factory in Costa Rica a few years ago. Seemed like a pretty unremarkable process to me.

If I could hand you my two pennies I would.
  • mccmdl
    mccmdl Posts: 3
    Thanks for the information. I have stopped using splenda in my coffee. but now I realize it's in every diet drink I find. So you may think you are not drinking splenda but if you drink diet soda you may be drinking splenda. Just a thought!
  • Healthier_Me
    Very true!
  • nbuehrmann
    nbuehrmann Posts: 47 Member
    It makes me wonder about the chlorine added in drinking water...
  • nancym
    nancym Posts: 49
    We have seen this here before. I love sugar, but I am hypoglycemic. It does bad things to me. So I use Splenda on occassion. All things in moderation.
    nancym
This discussion has been closed.