Doing my First Half Marathon in September

Options
It's scary - I've done 5Ks before and love them. I decided to step it up a notch and signed up for a half marathon, whew! I need to get training, since I've been slacking off on my walking. It will be awesome though - get a medal, a T shirt, a bag of taters, duffel bag, and more.

Replies

• princessvessna
    Options
    It's scary - I've done 5Ks before and love them. I decided to step it up a notch and signed up for a half marathon, whew! I need to get training, since I've been slacking off on my walking. It will be awesome though - get a medal, a T shirt, a bag of taters, duffel bag, and more.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I completed a half back in February. It was quite an accomplishment. I had only started running in Sept. I found a local group that was training for the race and joined them. I even carpooled with one of my neighbors. This kept me motivated to keep training. I would recommend that you either find a training group or at the very least some training partners. This will help keep you motivated for the training. I think the best thing you did was picking a race. Now you have a goal. Sign up for the race now. That way you have to do the training. 13.1 miles is quite a distance but you can do this. I went from the couch to my half so I know it can be done. After you finish your half pick another race.

We aren't exercising we're in training:smile:

I am training with a group this morning for a sprint triathlon we are going to bike 12 miles and then run 2 miles. Yay. Last year at this time I was sleeping late and then taking it easy since it was the weekend. It is quite the difference.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I just signed up for my first 1/2 marathon too, it's in June...one of my good friends (who has done several 1/2 and full marathons) is doing it with me!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!! I am planning on running my first half marathon in Nov. I have not signed up yet. I should so I don't change my mind. :laugh: There are others here who will be running their first half marathons this year as well. Maybe we could start a thread and motivate each other. There are a lot of training methods out there but as someone else suggested it would be nicer to join a group. But you can always train on your own. Good luck!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!! I am planning on running my first half marathon in Nov. I have not signed up yet. I should so I don't change my mind. :laugh: There are others here who will be running their first half marathons this year as well. Maybe we could start a thread and motivate each other. There are a lot of training methods out there but as someone else suggested it would be nicer to join a group. But you can always train on your own. Good luck!!!! :flowerforyou:

I think the motivational 1/2 marathon thread is a great idea!!!!

(thats why I signed up already....if I paid for it there's no way I'm backing out!!!!) :laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Join in on the Runners thread here. I post there and there are some others that are training for half marathons also. I just ran my 3rd half 2 weeks ago and will be running my 4th half this weekend. :bigsmile: Let me know if you have any questions! I'm sure that I will be running a fall half as well. :wink:
  • losinglynn
    Options
    Good luck! I'm doing my first 10K in two weeks and then plan to start training for my first Half (October.) I I started running about aa year and a half ago and LOVE LOVE LOVE the way I feel afterwards. Strong and fit! :)
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first half marathon in Oct and I have a lot to accomplish before then! I am a new runenr but I am seeing improvements every day and have started to really enjoy it. I have a long way to go but I can't wait for the feeling when I cross that finish line!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Jess, where is the runners thread? Thanks!! :flowerforyou:
  • exercisediva
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon in 05' - Rock n Roll half marathon Virginia Beach....finished in 2hrs 28 min. There is no greater feeling than crossing the finishline!!

The advice I got from the experts, dont drink water at every station and dont stop. Good Luck!

151375.png
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Jess, where is the runners thread? Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

It's usually posted each day here in the fitness topics. It'll say MFP Runners Club and the date! :wink:

Here's the link for today. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/51032-mfp-runner-s-april-28?page=1#posts-562205