Hair Loss Help

Options
Looking for any other people who have had a major amount of weight loss and have found their hair to be thinning. My hair has been steadily falling out the last couple months and has thinned considerably. I have had a few people comment to me and my husband is very concerned. I have done some online research and have increased my vitamins my adding Vitatimin A & Biotin. Has anyone else had this problem and been able to turn it around. I have looked at the hair and it doesn't seem to have the folicles on it so I think that is a good sign. Help please :smile:

Replies

• momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    First, see a doctor to make sure everything is fine with you....not anemic, thyroid, etc...and ask what he/she recommends.

It is perfectaly normal to lose a lot of hair while losing alot of weight...increase some good fats (almonds, salmon, etc) and protein into your diet...hair is protein...the good fats will help make it pliable/shiny.

Take a good multi-vitamin and make sure you are using a good shamppo/conditioner...

Good luck with it, it can be so frustrating!
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the answers to my similar post a while ago

I think its starting to work! fingers crossed although a bit part of mine was to do with straightening but weight loss too!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/387085-my-hair
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many calories are you eating and do you exercise? If so, do you eat back your exercise calories? Hair loss can be a sign of malnutrtion. I too would suggest healthy fats and increased protein to help.
  • kazza135
    kazza135 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi - had the same problem with extreme dieting over a long time - but I was also taking orlistat for a period of time which depletes vitams a c d e when it absorps fat. The other problem I had was lack of iron - get your iron levels checked because my hair sheds when I have a particularly heavy period together with dieting. Hope this helps. Eat plenty of rich iron foods, spinach, wholemeal breads and eat oranges to help absorb iron.:happy:
  • pilatespolekat
    pilatespolekat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I second all of the above!

My multivitamin is AMAZING! I can tell a HUGE difference in my skin, hair and nails if I don't take it. Also my under-eye circles disappear when I take them...and another plus is they don't smell like the typical vitamin, they have a mint coating.

They also have a ton more of the vitamins/minerals packed in, more than most others have....like an all-in-one. I used to take biotin, vitamin A, calcium, all separate...not anymore :)

Yall should definitely check them out!

Here is where I get them:

https://katsays.myitworks.com/Shop/Product/305

you can click on "product description", then "view ingredients" and compare them to yours!

And sorry this was such a long post on vitamins, I just get really excited to tell others how they make me feel and look when I take them hahaha :)