neti pots...how weird are they?

chanstriste13
chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
so, i feel like i've been fighting off the same sinus beast for the last two years or so, and i am turning to desperate measures. well, thinking about it, at least. i have an aversion to sticking things up my nose, especially water, but i think i'm going to give a neti pot a go.

does anyone use them? are they horrible to get used to? is the process akin to water-borading? do they work? i've heard a couple of good reviews, but not enough to actually get me to stick one up my nose, so i'm halfway hoping for a huge vote of confidence on the neti pot front, and i'm halfway hoping everyone will tell me to keep the blasted thing out of my nose, because the thought of it pretty much freaks me out.

what say you?

Replies

• Hate you haven't been feeling well, that sucks! I have a neti pot and I think it's great. Nothing like water-boarding I would imagine :laugh: It is really quick and easy and I always breathe SO MUCH better after I do it. If I'm super sinusy I will do it once before work and once before bed. It is a bit akward, but not painful by any means and nothing compared to annoying sinus pressure!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    They are kinda gross BUT they do work!
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    It's a little weird at first but then it's AMAZING. They really do work!
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    I don't like doing it...... but it really works.....I use it when I have the first sign of a cold coming on....and it works wonders! Good to do after being around someone sick too. It keeps those germs from latching on to your sinuses....flushes them away!
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    They make one called Neil-Med, same idea, but a bottle made to squeeze and the water flows up smoothly. My husband, and 8 and 10 yr olds both do it. It WORKS. Has been GREAT in this house. TMI, but the 8 yr old usually doesnt blow hard enough or just cant move mucus out, but that thing moves it all! LOL...And make sure you use distilled water. :)
  • My doctor had me get the sinus rinse bottle. It's like the neti pot and made by them but the bottle (in my opinion) is better because you squeeze it. I liked it a lot. It gave me such relief. I like the fact that the 'blockage' comes out rather than going down the back of my throat.
  • I love my neti-pot and amazingly, it was as easy to use as the instructions suggested. By far the biggest problem was conquering my own fears! I've been using one daily for about 8 years and have drastically reduced my sinus problems and reliance on medications. It is absolutely one of the best things I ever started! Hope you get better soon!
  • weird but amazing. i use it for allergies and colds. it definitely shortens the length of my colds and keeps me from getting giant sinus infections from sniffing all the time.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    I bought one and used it once. It kept running down my throat and making me gag. I then read ur not supposed to use them when ur plugged up. That was an error on my part. If you do decided to use one becareful and read the directions..they have been known to cause deaths.

http://www.king5.com/health/Brain-infection-from-water-amoeba-kills-3-one-from-neti-pot-128037093.html

Okay just read that whole article and it's misleading. If you use the pot..make sure to boil the water first!
  • chanstriste13
    okay, okay...so far the general consensus seems to be that i go get one and shove it up my nose...thanks a lot, people. :grumble:

no, in all seriousness, this is great information. i think the bottle one might be more my speed - one good squeeze and it's done with. ihope. even though it still sounds pretty unappealing. but if it does the trick, i will give it a go. i think i'm going to try it in the shower so that way when i start wheezing and splattering nose water all over the place i'll already be wet. and i'm hoping the steam might help too?

i'm so nervous! but i'm going to get one today and try it out - then i'll report all the grisly details! :tongue:
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Definitely weird but worth it. I am prone to sinus infections. First time I used the bottle type, it didn't turn into an infection. My 8 year old also gets a lot of sinus infections...usually every time he has a cold. The last two times I made him use the Neti thing...no sinus infection! He hates it...but it sure moves a lot of ick out.
  • I agree with the other posters that the neti-pot works great. I'm so glad I tried it. It really helps with my allergies. It's simple to use and really not that bad (at least not as bad as you might think). I love it and I would recommend giving it a try. Also like someone else said, make sure you used distilled water! I usually heat up the water for a few seconds in the microwave to get it warm, which seems to be gentler on my sinuses. Good luck!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Just keep your head down and your mouth open when you're flushing the saline solution through. With a little proper technique, none of the salt water goes down your throat and it doesn't really feel weird at all.
  • nenamartinez
    nenamartinez Posts: 140 Member
    I have one, and even though I'm not a super huge fan of the sensation, it works soooo well. I live in a country with pretty bad air quality, and I also work as a preschool teacher, so most of us ex-pats are CONSTANTLY sick with colds, upper respiratory infections, bronchitis, or worse.. haha.

I feel like I've had less health problems since using the Neti bottle. I use a Neil Med bottle. Be sure to use the saline solutions. You can buy individual packages at drug stores, and some natural markets sometimes sell bigger jars of saline solution that you can measure out yourself. It's really cheap, either way.

I resisted using it for the longest time, but, go for it!! Trust me, you'll never go back.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Ok before I say anything else make sure you get the neti pot and not the one that you squeeze and it flushes water through your nose. You want to gently pour the water in. I have seen ones where you squeeze it and it flushes water through your nose, you DON'T want that one. Now with that said haha, my mother has sinus issues and she swears by it, as well as one of my friends. It is a little weird at first but follow the instructions and you'll be fine, I thought it would burn my nose like getting water up it but it didn't.
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    love my neti pot really helps
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    I hear really good things about them. I guess the really work. For me, I haven't used one and I think It would take getting used to.
  • chanstriste13
    Just keep your head down and your mouth open when you're flushing the saline solution through. With a little proper technique, none of the salt water goes down your throat and it doesn't really feel weird at all.

smirk, chortle, smirk, grunt!

my mind is always halfway to the gutter, and this sounded deliciously inappropriate at the start! thanks for the (unintended) chuckles! but i will take your advice - i do not want salt water attacking the back of my throat!
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    I swear by mine...I have the pot, not the squeeze bottle. My daughter and I have pretty major allergies and live in a dust and pollen filled city...the neti pot keeps us sane! One word of advice - we use ours when we take a shower. We find it works best after letting the heat open up our sinuses some, then we use the neti, and it doesn't make a mess.

It took a bit of getting used to, but has been, more than worth it!
  • chanstriste13
    One word of advice - we use ours when we take a shower. We find it works best after letting the heat open up our sinuses some, then we use the neti, and it doesn't make a mess.

perfect - this was my plan, so i'm glad to see it confirmed!