Beginner's Yoga DVD Recommendations?

Options
I am looking for a Beginner's Yoga Tape mostly to increase my flexibility and to give me something to do on my rest days from strength training...so it shouldn't be too demanding. I've messed around with Yoga on my kid's Wii Fit, and while I enjoyed the Yoga bit, I didn't care much for doing it on the Wii.

Does anyone know of anything that will fit the bill?

Replies

• evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper Weight Loss Yoga. It's only like 8 or 9 bucks on Amazon, and it was what first got me into yoga. Not too demanding, but works!
  • AArmstead1
    Options
    I highly recommend the namaste yoga series by Kate Potter. Her DVD has short 20-25 minute routines that used to be aired on FitTV... and I love it! The sessions always start out with a nice warm up, and the poses are well instructed throughout the series, with modifications shown based on your range of flexibility. Each session also includes a nice cool down. I think this would be a good place for a beginner to start!! Hope you can find something :-)
  • rschmmidt
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I like Rodney Yee's Yoga for Beginners, Rodney Yee's A.M. Yoga For your Week, Rodney Yee's Power Yoga. I am an instructor and I recommend all of these to my students who want to do more at home. His presentation is straightforward and his descriptors are great when you are doing the postures. When you aren't viewing the screen he talks enough that you don't have to look up to understand what he is telling you do to.
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Chris Freytag from exercisetv.com. I really like the way her yoga flows and it is easy to get into if you're just starting. There are also videos that increase in intensity like extreme yoga. If you have cable TV they may be on demand for free. Good luck!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPad, there's a free application for it. It's pretty basic. If you have "On Demand", there's an exercise option that has free yoga videos that you can easily stop and pause. They're ok. :)

Rodney Yee is awesome. I second recommendations for his stuff.
  • smorrison242
    Options
    I would highly recommend Rodney Yee's DVD, Yoga for Beginners. Gaiam makes the DVD and it is very instructive and affordable. A great starting place for anyone new to Yoga with 2 routines - one morning and one evening.
  • Firefighter_Ray
    Firefighter_Ray Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    it's not on DVD that i know of, but I really enjoy this beginner yoga video on youtube. It has a couple long commercials that are a pain to try to fast forward through so I just use that time to do a few of my own positions. Here is the link hope you enjoy it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0pZUjXGq8w&feature=related

Ray Ray
  • Firefighter_Ray
    Firefighter_Ray Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    BTW it's Rodney Yee.
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Lot of good recommendations. Also preview long video clips at www.collagevideo.com, where you can also read a lot more detail about the videos. Excellent resource for fitness DVDs so you can really know what you're getting.
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee hands down. Patricia Walden is also among my faves. Yee and Walden even have a dvd together. Labels like crunch, 10 min solutions, biggest loser etc. have beginner yoga workouts that tend to be pretty good instruction wise, I don't like them because they have the "gym class" feel to them. But worth looking at if the 'soft calming voices' annoy you lol
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I like Rodney Yee's Yoga for Beginners, Rodney Yee's A.M. Yoga For your Week, Rodney Yee's Power Yoga. I am an instructor and I recommend all of these to my students who want to do more at home. His presentation is straightforward and his descriptors are great when you are doing the postures. When you aren't viewing the screen he talks enough that you don't have to look up to understand what he is telling you do to.

^^^^ I second this recommendation. Rodney Yee is just an awesome instructor, very specific about how to correctly hold the postures. Businesslike, almost.