Applesouce replacement

Options
iceqieen
iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
Hi,

I have a hubby who's allergic to apples, oranges and many other fruits (berries, banana and pineapple is on the list of "can eat"). I'd love to make healthy cookies and such but many recipies are using applesouce, what would you suggest to replace it with?

For example to make http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/408637-60-calories-brownies-with-picture - what would you replace the applesouce with?

Replies

• margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Look at hte baby food options and try using those. Maybe something that's on the more bland side like pears? Banaa babyfood or puree might work too but it has a strong flavor so make sure that works with whatever you are making.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Look at hte baby food options and try using those. Maybe something that's on the more bland side like pears? Banaa babyfood or puree might work too but it has a strong flavor so make sure that works with whatever you are making.

Some folks use pumpkin.
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    You can use pumpkin instead
  • ladyhunter2011
    ladyhunter2011 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Pureed pumpkin will also work and you don't taste the pumpkin. I use it in my chocolate cake or cupcakes.
  • akgrl1020
    Options
    Read those baby food labels! My son was allergic to apples as a baby, and I had to make most of his food, because most baby food fruits have an apple base. Good Luck!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Can he eat the canned fruit salad, with the peaches and pears and cherries? I once pureed that (drained well first, of course) and used it in a cookie recipe. They were excellent. It does give a distinctive flavor, but it will work in a lot of desserts, I would think.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Honey is a great natural sugar substitute also in baking you could use Smart Balance light butter with flax its a healthier butter, or you could use canola oil instead of vegetable oil...maybe even olive oil instead of vegetable oil, because as you know vegetable oil isn't that great for you so canola or olive oil is much better. Applesauce is a yummy alternative to sugar i love using it in baking

Good luck
  • iceqieen
    Options
    Well unfortunately pears are on the nono list as well.

Will see what I find in the baby food section, thanks for that advice. Also see if I find honey that isnt taken from trees (another thing he cant eat.. ugh his list of can is so much shorter than cant :/ )
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Purreed prunes can work too. Just don't eat too many brownies.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Since you spelled it souce does this mean it has rum in it? ;)
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Well unfortunately pears are on the nono list as well.

Will see what I find in the baby food section, thanks for that advice. Also see if I find honey that isnt taken from trees (another thing he cant eat.. ugh his list of can is so much shorter than cant :/ )

There is a way you can make something he isnt allergic to. Play around with what you can use and you will be shocked on how yummy it could turn out!!!!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Is he allergic to prunes? This is a great alternative for baking:bigsmile:
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    bananas mashed??
  • iceqieen
    Options
    Since you spelled it souce does this mean it has rum in it? ;)

hmmm maybe if I put enough rum it'll cancel out any allergy causing stuff? or he will blame the tummy ache on the alcohol. lol.

prunes are also off the list. but I think I'll try something with bananas. We both like them, and it might be a nice twist to the chocolate taste.