Do you burn more fat when you hit your target heart rate?

Options
When I am doing the elliptical and bike it raises my heart rate, which is good. However, I just wanted to know that do get the best results when your hitting your target heart rate, I barely reach it when doing the treadmill.

Replies

• oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The higher the better, well maybe not better but you will burn more. Try doing HIIT.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter how much fat you burn during your cardio session.
  • OneFitMom_
    OneFitMom_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Incorporate HIIT into your routine at least 2-3 times a week. This is a faster and more effective way to burn those calories and melt away fat by raising your heart rate in a shorter amount of time. Instead of spending an hour doing cardio, do 20 minutes of intervals.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You burn calories faster with higher intensity exercise. Heart rate is just used an indicator of exercise intensity.

No exercise will ever "burn fat". Eat less calories than you burn, and your body will burn fat. Exercise only helps create the calorie deficit.

Edit: Heart rate is highly variable between individuals. Don't worry about hitting a target number. The so-called "fat-burning zone" is nonsense because of what I explained above.
  • melinda6569
    Options
    The higher the better, well maybe not better but you will burn more. Try doing HIIT.

What is HIIT?
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Got it, thanks guys!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Dont' fall into the "fat burning zone" trap.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Incorporate HIIT into your routine at least 2-3 times a week. This is a faster and more effective way to burn those calories and melt away fat by raising your heart rate in a shorter amount of time. Instead of spending an hour doing cardio, do 20 minutes of intervals.

Yep this ^^ just learned this for myself today...it was killer but I loved it! :happy:
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training